R1 miss fire

Hookedup

Anybody having problems with their R1 not firing? The hammer is dropping but no firing pin marks on the bullets. Happened probably about a dozen times. After trying a few times it goes off, These are my reloads and I have never had any problems with them missfiring in the past. Tore the gun apart last night and cleaned it. Any input would be appretiated.

Found my answer on previous post. The fellow that was bear hunting with his daughter. Not one to complain,but I paid almost 1000 dollars for this rifle and have had three issues already. Poor accuracy, mounts not fitting, and now the missfire.

1 Poor accuraccy- My bar will outshoot this gun all day long. But I havn't worked alot with the loads in this gun.

2 Mounts not fitting right- Not really benelis fault DMZ rings and bases

3 Missfire- My BAR never did this. I am a hunter. I must have confidence in my rifle.

Their that is my rant. Going to try it again this weekend. Going to try different powder to try and help the accuracy. Gotta say been waiting 5 years for an R1. Not really impressed yet.

I am full length sizing. On my previous post I was just stateing a point that I am not real happy with everything that is going on with my R1.Hate to say it because I have raved about this rifle for the past few years before I got one. I am not giving up yet on it. I am going to try a different load this weekend, and I tore the gun down last night and cleaned it. Thought maybe it was starting to get dirty and this was causing the missfires. Hopefully that will take care of misfires. I can take the semi poor accuracy considering most of my shots are fity to sixty yards,but if the gun keeps not going off that is a whole different game

Well shot again today and the same outcome. First shot would go off, second wouidn't. I noticed that after the first shot bolt wouldn't close all the way, even if i single fired it with no clip. After trying it I called benelli. I must say customer support seemed real nice. Anyways they said send it in. So it now in its way.

Well shot again today and the same outcome. First shot would go off, second wouidn't. I noticed that after the first shot bolt wouldn't close all the way, even if i single fired it with no clip. After trying it I called benelli. I must say customer support seemed real nice. Anyways they said send it in. So it now in its way.

My R-1 would also do the same thing when the gas piston was dirty. The dirty piston would prevent the bolt from locking into battery and the firing pin would fire but fail to strike the primer.

One easy way for me to check to make sure it was free was to remove the foregrip and pull the bolt back, the gas piston should move freely.

When it gets fouled it causes friction and the bolt will not lock all the way into battery.

Steve

Steve thats exactly what it was doing . I took the forearm of and cleaned that really good in there. Does that gas piston come apart. I couldn't find my owners manual so I couln't tell.Hard to believe it would get dirty that quick. I guess if thats it I will have to take it apart more often.

Not to keep brining up my bar, but I used that hunting for about six or seven years without taking it apart. Started finally jaming . Buddy showed me how to clean it. I coulnt believe the bolt would even open with the crud in there.

Thanks for the help guys. Thats gotta be it. exactly what its doing to the T.

Steve thats exactly what it was doing . I took the forearm of and cleaned that really good in there. Does that gas piston come apart. I couldn't find my owners manual so I couln't tell.Hard to believe it would get dirty that quick. I guess if thats it I will have to take it apart more often.

Not to keep brining up my bar, but I used that hunting for about six or seven years without taking it apart. Started finally jaming . Buddy showed me how to clean it. I coulnt believe the bolt would even open with the crud in there.

Thanks for the help guys. Thats gotta be it. exactly what its doing to the T.

The gas piston does come apart and I found that it had to be cleaned after each and every firing or mine would get gunked up and misfire.

I wrote a thread on it with photos.

See it here.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/14472-Gas-Piston

Good luck

Steve,

Thanks for the info. That piston doesn't look very good in your pics. Like I said mine is at Benelli right now. I am sure that is the problem.Interested in what they say.I will definately keep that clean now I see what you are talking about.The kicker is probably only shot two boxes of shells through the gun.

Kind of have it my mind to get rid of it. I hate to. I have been waiting for about five years to buy one.Probably hunt with it this year and then see what happens.

Well steve was right on the money. I recieved the gun today and put to the test fired 6 or seven rounds and worked flawless. Benelli checked the rifle for accuracy.Their group was probably around 2 inches with Win factory 150 in 270 wsm.

AFter firing it today tore it apart and cleaned it. The piston was pretty cruddy.

Benelli was good about fixing the rifle. Cleaned it and test fired it no charge.

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old thread but thank you for the information. My R1 never did until last Wed and did it twice at the only Elk I saw on a 5 day hunting trip. It fired as the Elk were running away and at 450 yards. Yes I took a shot out of frustration and to see if it would even fire which it did too late.  I would have never thought to clean the gas piston considering I have less than 60 rds on this without an issue. It really sucks cause In the unit I hunted the Elk are about to be wiped out by the states introduction of wolves so Elk are getting harder to find.

Edited by Billbo

• 7 months later...

Cant believe people dont clean their guns...this is such an easy gun to clean...just remove forend and retaining ring and spray down with a good solvent....dry....spray with rem oil...put back....run a few passes of a bore snake .....done....5 minutes...tops. Sorry i clean every one of my guns after every use.....twice a year even if it sits unfired in my safe.....and I have 100 plus .........that's ALOT of cleaning....and safes.......