Anyone have a review of Winchester's Blind Side yet?

duckht183

All the "reviews" I've heard are mixed. Personally, I'm gonna stay away from it. Just a big marketing gimmic in my opinion. I have a hard time believing square shot can keep any sort of downrange velocity.

That makes to of us square shot can keep any sort of downrange velocity.:rolleyes:

Guest Lisaben

I’m not that fancy about this new not so aerodynamic steel pellet. It’s not important that the packaging is so compact, a 1-3/8 oz has a limitation of how fast it can be pushed. I’m also skeptic about this hexahedronal shape that is supposed to increase the tissue trauma. How about the penetration power?

Lisa.

Waterfowl magazine's LP Brezny did a Blind Side test...here's the link of his review that was posted on mypitblind.com

http://www.mypitblind.com/main/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=5&id=319123&Itemid=47

Field & Stream's Phil Bourjaily Tests Winchester's Blind Side Shells

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/ammunition/2010/10/bourjaily-tests-winchesters-blind-side-shells

Edited by hattles

Just purchased a box of the Blind Sides, haven't had a chance to pattern them yet. Seems like a lot of great reviews and a few sub-par ones as well. In most cases as long as you put the bead on the bird within range you should kill it, so I feel that if you can put a few more bb's in your shell it should increase your chances. Who can agrue with that? From what most reviews are saying, it sounds like the downrange velocity decreases significantly, which is why Winchester put their special shotcup to hold the bb's longer. Sounds awfully similar to what black cloud did with their shells.....and I don't think I'll be using black clouds ever again after seeing the pattern they have in my SBE2. All depends on how your gun shoots with different shells.

Don't have pictures uploaded yet but tried out 4 different shells this past weekend, all with a SBE2 with modified choke. All shot's were taken at 30 yards on a 15 x 15 target (it was all we had at the time; I know...not the best to pattern on, but we made it work.)

Winchester Blind Side - Best pattern out of the 4 shells; the hex shot destroyed the target, with huge holes. Counted over 90 bb's on target with 3" #2's. Tested 4 shells, minimal gaps in the pattern, all shots would have been kill shots.

Remington Hypersonic - 2nd best pattern, one helluva kick to them. You can tell they pack more punch than your standard 3" shell. I have to wonder what the 3.5" would feel like. Good pattern, but had a few gaps. Still put 60-80 bb's on target, tried a few shells each with about the same result. It looked and felt like it shot a bit high each time.

Kent Fasteel - 3rd best pattern; not bad, not great. Heard great things with them from a lot of guys, just didn't see anythign spectacular on the pattern. Only tried 2 shells and each was decent.

BlackCloud - Only tried one shell just to check out the pattern, as I've had mixed thoughts in the past. I haven't had good luck with these shells so hate to be biased as I know some guys will only use these shells, but just didn't think it was as good as they claim to be. Holes in the pattern, could be considered a kill shot but I would use the three shells above before these. Sorry BC....you just don't get it done for me.

Couple things I noticed. We had some rubber tire around the outside of the paper we used to pattern. Every time we shot with the Blind Side, you could see the bb's embed themselves into the tire, completely, and sometimes just halfway in. With the other bb's they only put a small hole in the rubber, not passing completely through. Maybe this has something to do with the way they are shaped, and maybe said something about how they go into your kill - not certain. The Remington Hypersonic as I said before, always shot high, and had holes in the pattern. Each time we shot, the wad would go at least 20 yards and frayed out in 4 directions each time, you can tell they try to hold the bb's longer, not sure if it helps thought. I'll try to get some pictures up to show results.

Thoughts anyone?

I purchased a box right before opener here in so cal and i had a great opener with them! the only down fall i had was if you shot and hit a bird closer then 40yds it was almost inedible. so the guys that don't believe the hex shot can travel down range, you are mistaken. There is a change in your swing if you are used to a high velocity round though that took a few shots to get down but once i did like a block wall! i was shooting 3" #2's.................... hope that helps.

So I shot Blind Side this morning and to my surprise, these shells actually performed pretty damn well... Blind Side held a decent pattern through my Franchi I-12 and both the Redhead and the Spoonie that I shot were stone dead when they hit the water. Both shots were between 35 to 45 yrds out with large amounts of blood running from the impact points.

I shot some over the weekend and am going back to my original winchester....... that stuff is deadly. You could actually see where it entered the bird form the outside. There were holes in the ducks breast while cleaning them, that i could stick my pinky in. Massive tissue trauma!.