Burris Speed Bead Sight

jonesbb630

Haven't mounted one on my Stoeger yet and frankly don't plan to.I had one on my old Remington 870 and the RDS was fine but the mount that went between the receiver and stock was flimsy. I had an aftermarket stock and had to switch back to the original for the mount to fit. Not sure if the mount is similar for Benelli's, but if it goes between the receiver and stock, then I would give the quality of the fit a good hard look. My mount never sat where it was supposed to and I couldn't get it to conform to the stock as it should have. It may have been a manufacturing defect, who knows. Just saying don't frustrate yourself trying to fix it if you run into my same issue. But other than myself, I've never heard anything bad about the SpeedBead. It's a good red dot sight to boot, but the mount (for me) was not a quality product. Hope this helps!

If you can't hit them with a regular bead then what makes you think a speed bead's going to help? Just something to think about...

Claims are that this will make a good shooter a great shooter:D Besides, the front bead on my SBE II sucks. For the price we pay for these guns, we should get a much better front bead like the Hi Viz, or TruGlo. Or at least have the option to upgrade. I have a HiViz clip on now that i bought for $10 at waly mart and work pretty good for the price.

Dunno, I just felt the need to get it when I ordered my Burris Sure Fire II for my Ruger SR-22. As I was looking at the Sure Fire II, I decided to order both and try it out.

Edited by jonesbb630

I don't think a Speed Bead will hold up for me too well in the blind...

Her's my post again:

Has anyone here tried the Burris Speed Bead on their Benelli? I just ordered one for my SBE II. Reviews appear positive. Any feedback from forum members here would be great. Not sure i'm going to keep it when I get it.

I was looking for feedback from the ones that tried it or know someone that did.

I know a kid who hunts with one on his SBE II and from what he has said, he likes it..

If it makes you a better shooter then great.. I'm curious to hear how you like it. I'm just saying that for me I hunt hard and it just seems like something else that I wouldn't want to hassle with in the dark. As far as the actual shooting goes, my full focus is on the duck or goose and my gun follows naturally. I have a Hi Viz sight and I don't even notice it to be honest with you...

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think a Speed Bead will hold up for me too well in the blind...

I couldn't agree more. We are very hard on our guns!

I use the starbright by truglo (smallest they make) on both of mine, but its only for turkey hunting. I wingshoot with no bead or sights. A lot of shotgun instructors make students remove all sights from their guns (Ducks Unlimited).

You should be able to pick a spot, close your eyes and shoulder. If your gun really fits, it will be on target when you open your eyes.

Edited by BigwhiteZ

A lot of shotgun instructors make students remove all sights from their guns (Ducks Unlimited).

You should be able to pick a spot, close your eyes and shoulder. If your gun really fits, it will be on target when you open your eyes.

Well as a firearms instructor for Corrections Canada, I call tell you that's not how we do things when teaching proper shooting technics and nor does the RCMP. Then again, we shoot at human paper targets with 00 Buck Shot. Closing your eyes after picking your traget and shouldering and being on target is in a perfect world which is not how we base our fitting and shooting. Even if your gun fits you perfectly, I don't believe for one minute that you will be on target every time by closing your eyes and aiming. I can't speak for Ducks Unlimited Instructors which I never knew even existed. Had no idea they had instructors.

jonesbb630, I agree. I certainly wouldn't think that DU or anyone else teaching shotgunning would recommend trying to shoot a target with your eyes closed. The idea is to be able to shoulder your gun with your eyes closed and have the correct sight line down the barrel...as in if the gun fits it should present the correct sight line down the barrel.

Also, I'm not big on anything that may interfere with my sight picture. To me, a Burris Speed would only be a detraction and more of a gimmic or someting for turkey hunters to use for "still" shots.

I really think a Speed Bead is a negative for shotgunning...You should shoot with both eyes open and the gun, if it fits correctly, should shoot where you look. You're eyes should be the sights. The successful shotgun's equation has two critical parts: 100% focus on the target and a shotgun that shoots where you look. Look at an object across the room. Where is your head aimed? At the object. When you're looking at ducks, geese or pheasant or any flying object, our nose is pointing at the bird or the object, and that is one of the keys to good shooting. The sight beads on a barrel do nothing more than confirm that you have a proper sight line...nothing more.

If your gun fits properly, you really don't need any sights or "Speed Bead" to take the focus away from the target which only equates to misses in the field or at the range.

Well as a firearms instructor for Corrections Canada, I call tell you that's not how we do things when teaching proper shooting technics and nor does the RCMP. Then again, we shoot at human paper targets with 00 Buck Shot. Closing your eyes after picking your traget and shouldering and being on target is in a perfect world which is not how we base our fitting and shooting. Even if your gun fits you perfectly, I don't believe for one minute that you will be on target every time by closing your eyes and aiming. I can't speak for Ducks Unlimited Instructors which I never knew even existed. Had no idea they had instructors.

QUOTE]

It is what some recommend for finding a gun that fits, and it does work I might add. I didnt say anything about hunting that way, that would ridiculous, nor did I say that EVERYONE does it that way, or should do it that way.

It happens that my best friend retired as a major from the state and was a firearms instructor for the state as well as the NRA, he concurs with the age old truth about a gun should fit, and when your looking that this is a quick way to test it.

Ducks unlimited post articles in their magazine and on their website a

bout things that make you a better shooter. They are informative, and some of the info is helpful, some is not. You probably wouldn't benefit though, lol.

Maybe someone else would though.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one for my Vinci but it wouldn't fit.... Soo went with their Fast Fire holographic water proof site. It is amazing. I am dealing with new glasses with a blended bifocal.. It has been and still is a challenge getting use to them. This is why I wanted the new sites. I can look over top of my glasses and use the site to enlarge the game. Works for me ^5.

(I have made a correction to my post under 2011 Spring Turkey Season.) I must have been in a hurry to finish that post. Sorry for the incorrect info.

• 1 month later...

I am a Speed Bead user but not for wing shooting. (I'm an old-school two-eye wing shooter). I have the Speed Bead on one of my Benellis because it's GREAT for one thing... turkey hunting in low light morning or pre-sunset conditions in the woods. It will extend your shooting capabilities when the light is poor.

Also, a very important plus... if you peek off the barrel ramp, which will normally guarantee a missed shot, but keep the laser bead on your target, it will hit where it indicates. This can be huge when you are in the tense moment of a turkey head shot.

• 10 months later...

Well, I finally decided to try and install my new Speed Bead for this upcomming season. Had I known there was a bit of gunsmithing involved, I never would have purchased the darn thing. Instructions tell me to cut or drill out the oversize knobs that line-up to the receiver to the shim/buttstock. This is BS. You buy an expensive Burris product that tells you it fits a SBEII while it does not without mods. Burris, you just lost a customer for life.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine on my SBE II for more than a year. I don't recall any cutting or drilling. My workbench was a padded pickup tailgate with only hand tools available. It helps me when I shoot at game flying straight away or incoming. I don't look down the barrell on quartering or crossing shots so I don't use it then. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXo0WUiCx34.

It's wonderful when aiming like a rifle as on turkey or deer. I'd call Burris. Something's not the same as mine. (Then again I have a bad memory.)

• 3 weeks later...
Claims are that this will make a good shooter a great shooter:D Besides, the front bead on my SBE II sucks. For the price we pay for these guns, we should get a much better front bead like the Hi Viz, or TruGlo. Or at least have the option to upgrade. I have a HiViz clip on now that i bought for $10 at waly mart and work pretty good for the price.

Dunno, I just felt the need to get it when I ordered my Burris Sure Fire II for my Ruger SR-22. As I was looking at the Sure Fire II, I decided to order both and try it out.

This is off topic slightly,but you like those glowing buggers on the end of your barrel?

It helps me when I shoot at game flying straight away or incoming.

I grew to hate it after a few days of pheasant hunting. I don't think a shotgun is improved by adding a rifle sight. I took it off. AND I had to pull two pins that came with the sight 'cause the factory spacers have built-in alignment pins. I didn't remember that part of the installation.

• 4 weeks later...

you seen it here on the internet it has to be true they can't post anything here unless it's true.

• 5 years later...

I use the speed bead . Had neck surgery three years ago on five vertebra in my neck fused and a titanium plate so it doesn't bend like it used to the speed bead helped me over come this because now I don't have to try and look down the rib. One neat thing is I put a dot on paper and saw my pattern was shooting high right so adjusted for that. I hunt crows first time out got 43 not my best but way better than I was doing after surgery before installing it. wont say its for everyone but in my situation helped greatly.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently bought a M2 field 12 ga. and seriously considering adding a Speed Bead (with a FF III or Vortex Venom). My question, does the Speed Bead install with the drop adjusting shim or do I need to remove the shim? Also, I’d be interested in hearing comments from anyone who has use a Speed Bead. Thanks.