Black Cloud Snow Goose?

jonesbb630

The Winchester HV's performed great for me yet again even though the large flocks of geese that I had scouted in the previous weeks were no where to be found..

We still managed to knock down a couple of geese, both pushing the 25lbs mark. We were shooting 3.5" #2's, I shot one from 55yrds out and he was hit from his head all the way down his body. My buddy shot one as they were going away from us at 70+ yards and this goose was stone dead when is hit the water.. the pellets impacted the head and chest area with the shot having an entrance and exit wound.

25lb geese huh? That's as big as a Trumpeter Swan.... not buyin it so much. You should have let someone document that cause it would have been a world record. Anyways, back on topic.... never actually tried the Snow Goose loads, but my SBE II likes the regular Black Cloud and I use factory chokes.

25lb geese huh? That's as big as a Trumpeter Swan.... not buyin it so much. You should have let someone document that cause it would have been a world record. Anyways, back on topic.... never actually tried the Snow Goose loads, but my SBE II likes the regular Black Cloud and I use factory chokes.

I held the goose up with one arm and a 25lbs weight in the other and they were just about even..

The Winchester HV's performed great for me yet again even though the large flocks of geese that I had scouted in the previous weeks were no where to be found..

We still managed to knock down a couple of geese, both pushing the 25lbs mark. We were shooting 3.5" #2's, I shot one from 55yrds out and he was hit from his head all the way down his body. My buddy shot one as they were going away from us at 70+ yards and this goose was stone dead when is hit the water.. the pellets impacted the head and chest area with the shot having an entrance and exit wound.

70+ yards? I guess I really underestimated my gun and need to get me some HV. Never heard of that kind of velosity from a 12 GA. I guess with today's technologie with ammo and choke combination, they are pushing the limits.

I run a Patternmaster Long Range and my buddy shoots the Kicks Full Choke. I have a lot of confidence in both my choke and the Winchester loads but I don't recommend taking shots out at that distance. So when he sent that round off and I watched that goose fall and hit the water belly-up, I couldn't believe it..

He's a first year hunter by the way and being his first bird, I don't know who was more excited me or him

25 lbs huh? Don't think so. I've hunted Giant Canadas for 30 years in SE Washington with guys who've been guiding and shooting them for over 45 years and they average 7-12 lbs with the biggest ever taken at just under 15 lbs. Unless you got a near world record...huh uh!

The 70 yd shot...did you measure the distance the same way you estimated the weight of the goose? Just askin?

"The Giant Canada goose is the largest goose in the world, with some individuals weighing more than 20 pounds. They can also be long-lived, with a banded Giant Canada goose at 30 years and 4 months currently holding the longevity record for waterfowl."This is straight from the Ducks Unlimited App on my phone...These geese fly from corn fields outside of Salida, CA that my uncle used to manage to a housing development full of PETA members in Vernalis that has 2 large ponds that sit right in the middle of the whole thing. These geese get big...

Edited by duckht183

IMAG0203.jpgThis is what the Beretta Xtrema 1 with a Kicks Full Choke did to that honker..How do I know this goose was killed at 70+... Because I set my farthest dekes at 55yrds to allow a pocket for the birds to land between me and my dekes. And seeing as how these geese were just about 20 yards outside of those last decoys gave me a pretty good idea on how far the goose was when he shot.I also bow hunt and sometimes you don't always have a rangefinder on you when you need it but if you take the time to take a mental picture of a target at known distance you can use your judgement from there...

Is that the picture of the 25lb goose? Killed with #2 shot? Based on the sizes of the holes and size of the goose, that is not a 25lb bird, period. This whole thing is a "big fish tale." I'm with hattles on this one. I shoot Giant Canada Geese regularly in Central Illinois, and a 14-15lb bird is not very common, and let me tell you they are big! True, the Giant Canada Goose CAN reach 20lbs, but you should research how long it's been since one that tipped the scales over 20lbs was shot. The largest Canada Goose on record (actually largest goose in the world, hands down) was 24lbs.

Is that the picture of the 25lb goose? Killed with #2 shot? Based on the sizes of the holes and size of the goose, that is not a 25lb bird, period. This whole thing is a "big fish tale." I'm with hattles on this one. I shoot Giant Canada Geese regularly in Central Illinois, and a 14-15lb bird is not very common, and let me tell you they are big! True, the Giant Canada Goose CAN reach 20lbs, but you should research how long it's been since one that tipped the scales over 20lbs was shot. The largest Canada Goose on record (actually largest goose in the world, hands down) was 24lbs.
That was my buddy's bird.

That Honker wasn't that big, we both knew that as soon as he threw it in the boat. So I made a mistake when I said they were both pushing that weight..I'm headed out there again Wednesday afternoon and if I can get these geese to commit again then I'll hook the birds up to a fish scale and I'll take a picture of the reading.

I've been shooting Black Cloud for a couple of years now, and I've already bought another case for this year.

Love the stuff.

If that goose really weighed 25 lbs., it belongs in a museum!

Nice to hear from you T301, haven't heard from you in a while. It's not the same now with this new web design. Not as interesting as it was before on the old web site. You almost don't feel like writting anything now, and by the looks of her I'm not the only one. You were always there for the expert opinion. So have you tried the BC Snow Goose yet?:cool:

For Honkers I would shoot either BB, #1 or #2 shot.. I personally like #2's for geese.

But as far as the length of shell is concerned, why run 3" if you can shoot 3.5's.. especially when it comes to shooting Canada's

You have a point on the shell size.

I shot Black Cloud my entire first year of duck hunting. When I cut out one of the "Flight Stopper" pellets and realized the real deal looks very little like the image that is being marketed, AND they are so much more expensive than kent shells, I will never buy another box. We killed ducks out to 80 yards with 2 3/4" and 3" kent #4's and a patternmaster choke tube. With the patternmaster long range, a friend of mine shot the winchester xperts and Remington Hi-Speed Sportsman from walmart, $8-$12 a box and killed ducks at 50 and 60 yards. We "dropped ducks like rain" with all the other stuff because we limited on every hunt.

I don't think there are any absolutes; it is all personal preference, and would never say that Black Clouds are not decent loads! However they are a little on the expensive side and will need more than a cool box and fancy slogan for me to pay the money they want for them.

I used black clouds bb with the black cloud choke the last 2 years and they worked amazing. I just got 2 boxes of black cloud snow geese #2 but haven't used them yet. I've actually never used #2 shot on geese but it took down a couple ducks real well. The other guy that I was with was using Winchester high velocity bb and he got into be big haul and dropped 10 geese. Needless to say I was not very impressed

I shot Black Cloud my entire first year of duck hunting. When I cut out one of the "Flight Stopper" pellets and realized the real deal looks very little like the image that is being marketed, AND they are so much more expensive than kent shells, I will never buy another box. We killed ducks out to 80 yards with 2 3/4" and 3" kent #4's and a patternmaster choke tube. With the patternmaster long range, a friend of mine shot the winchester xperts and Remington Hi-Speed Sportsman from walmart, $8-$12 a box and killed ducks at 50 and 60 yards. We "dropped ducks like rain" with all the other stuff because we limited on every hunt.

I don't think there are any absolutes; it is all personal preference, and would never say that Black Clouds are not decent loads! However they are a little on the expensive side and will need more than a cool box and fancy slogan for me to pay the money they want for them.

50 and 60 yards? 1 yard = 3ft WTF:80 Yards?:eek:

Edited by jonesbb630

Black Cloud Snow Goose is simply Black Cloud High Velocity in different shot sizes, and a different picture on the box.

http://www.blackcloudammo.com/products_promotions/products.aspx

I shoot the HV in #4 shot most of the time, and BB's on dark geese.

Very pleased with the Black Cloud lineup.

Tucker, what chokes do you use, factory or aftermarket?

I used black clouds bb with the black cloud choke the last 2 years and they worked amazing. I just got 2 boxes of black cloud snow geese #2 but haven't used them yet. I've actually never used #2 shot on geese but it took down a couple ducks real well. The other guy that I was with was using Winchester high velocity bb and he got into be big haul and dropped 10 geese. Needless to say I was not very impressed

Welcome to the Benelli forum Supernova4911:cool: