Camo or Black?

xaggie95

Well, the Benelli black is notorious for rusting/wearing if it's not taken care of super well (My black SBE 1 rusted after a couple hours in the case, transporting it home to clean it). I think it's worth the extra money to get the camo gun, the dipping process helps protect it. Plus, it just looks cool! I've got an SBE II in duck blind camo, and love it. Not sure it makes a whole lot of differenece as far as hiding goes though.

I don't like synthetic stocks as a general rule.. I love the beauty of wood myself but I see and understand the need for it when it comes to hunting waterfowl. The black stocks remind me of a toy... I just don't like them for a gun. The hardest decision I had was to choose between the two patterns since my plan was and is to hunt turkey as well. I had to wait for mine to be shipped since they only had black stocks available in the store. Now that was pure torture I tell you.. lol My heart was pounding when the box was opened to reveal my new Vinci. She is a beauty! I am very pleased with my decision. :)

I was in between the black and Max4 also. The Max4 is so gorgeous! However, with every camo gun I have seen that gets worked like we work, the camo always starts wearing off. Unfortunately with most camo guns the underlayer is white, unlike my 11-87 which the layer beneath the mossy oak is black. The salesman at the store showed me a returned Vinci that was used half a season only and all the corners were starting to wear. A friend of mine had a BPS with the Duratouch coating; it started to wear and turn white after one season. A gentleman on our lease had one that looked horrible! If you look closely at the Duck Commander videos, their guns have the coating doing the same. Again, the Max4 is Gorgeous! No Doubt! However a black or the classic wood and blued finish looks much better-if kept oiled- than a Max4 gun with the coating worn off of it. I know the ducks don't care if the gun looks nice or not, but I paid good money for this Vinci and I'd rather it stay looking nice. I don't mind keeping it clean and oiled. It is all personal preference, but this is why I chose the black.

We hit about 500 rounds with it yesterday with not a single hang up yet! Love it!

• 1 month later...

Regarding black finish on Vinci, I'm shocked (paying >$1,000 for a gun that immediately shows wear) at how much minor 'wear' shows. Just carrying the gun hunting (with sling) with metal rubbing on clothes, there are permanent (?) wear marks, grayish, like written on with a pencil. I've been using a black Winchester 1300 for 15 years--it looks fine--black.

I keep the gun well protected with synthetic oil, but any insight on maintenance issues is appreciated.

Regarding black finish on Vinci, I'm shocked (paying >$1,000 for a gun that immediately shows wear) at how much minor 'wear' shows. Just carrying the gun hunting (with sling) with metal rubbing on clothes, there are permanent (?) wear marks, grayish, like written on with a pencil. I've been using a black Winchester 1300 for 15 years--it looks fine--black.

I keep the gun well protected with synthetic oil, but any insight on maintenance issues is appreciated.

Since my previous post I have discovered the same. Bowhunter82 has a very valid point. The permanent wear marks are bare metal. Not only does it show wear easily, but it will also rust very easily. I also have an old winchester 1300 now for 26 years, and a stevens .410 for 28 years that I have never had this problem with.

Since I had already bought the black, I did some research on painting my barrel. I took it off, pulled out the guts, stripped it of all oils (with a chemical that almost takes of its current coat) and debris, and taped off on the inside to keep overspray from getting in. Then I lightly sanded and primed with an automotive primer (3 coats) allowing to completely dry between each. Then I put three coats of flat (high heat) black, and three coats of a matte finish (also allowing to dry in the sunlight completely between coats). The matte brought it back to the look of when I purchased. This is very inexpensive (about $15) compared to having it dipped (quoted $200), offers a very durable finish, and is easy to do again if needed later down the road.

This is a lesser expensive option if you have already purchased black.

I have had my SBE II Max4 for 3 seasons now. The cammo is nice when it's raining as you don't have to worry as much for rusting. Most my buddies have black guns and you can almost hear them cry when they know they have to take out their black guns in the rain. Well, rain don't bother me one bit with my camm gun and raingear clothing. As far as wear, I don't throw it around by any means but I don't baby the gun either. I try to be carefull when time permits and yes the gun has a few scuff marks, but they blend in quite well with the cammo. For the price i paid, I try to be carefull with it to a certain degree. Just be carefull not to put solvents on the exterior finish. That's when you will start to see the white primer coating show. Just a light coating of gun oil on the exterior metal parts, and you are good to go. Weather you have cammo or black, you should still lightly coat the exterior finish even if it's scuffed being black or cammo.

If and when my gun needs new coating which will be years from now maybe, I will get it done then if it bothers me that much, but for now, I can enjoy hunting in the rain.

• 2 months later...

For all the reasons listed above: I have decided to go against what all my buddies are telling me and I'm getting an SBE II with the traditional blued barrel and satin walnut stock. I've hunted with a Win 1300 for 17 years with minor wear. I know how to take care of a gun and I just dont think camo belongs on a gun... especially with all the cosmetic problems it seems to present when it starts wearing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went with Max 4 camo and if that ever wears you can have some one dura coat your gun or even do it yourself. They sell dura coat kits that are relatively cheap. I just don't like the look of all black seems cheap looking to me. Its all personal opinion in the end. My shotguns are for hunting so the looks don't really matter that much. As long as they shoot thats all that matters. I also like the camo as it conceals much better,

Aside from turkeys, and a wary buck, I doubt my quarry ever notice the outline of a gun. When they do, the broken pattern and weather resistance of any camo has its welcome place. I may even have one dipped if my armorer's offer was serious. Said he'd split the materials with me and do both our SBE's.

I shot an SBE II in cammo max 4 exclusively for a waterfowl gun. This gun has been to **** and back durning the waterfowl season I typically will spend between 3 and 4 days a week chasing ducks and geese. We primarily hunt the Great Salt Lake which has 4 times more salt then most oceans. This being sad the max 4 cammo has held up fairly well and yes it will wear and show some white around trigger area and forearm. With thousands of rounds fired from this gun and hundreds of hours in blinds still no rust. Concealment in waterfowling is key to success with camo it is just one less thing to conceal.

For a Duck Gun, I'll never go black again. Camo on my M1 was great insurance and lasted the true test of time during my hunting trips.

Super Vinci project will also be camo, just wish Duck Blind was an option....Max 4 will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...