SideArmor rail system - Stripped receiver threads

tnanever

I installed the sidearmor rail system and two receiver threads were stripped when screwing in the fasteners.

All I did was apply the LocTite to the fasteners, and used a basic little allen wrench (supplied with the sidearmor rail system) to hand-tighten the screws.

I don't think I used an unreasonable amount of force, especially since the tool is small and grants little leverage. Three of the five the screws worked just fine and tightened pretty well.

Anyone know what could have been the problem?

Anyone know a way to fix the stripped threads? I've heard of re-drilling the receiver and rail system to support wider screws, and something about an add-on to replace the threads completely.

If the threads aren't too stripped you can get a cleanout or thread restoring tap. Retap and check for fit. then reattach (with less torque) using red loctite on the ones that are stripped. Please don't use glue on a $2000 weapon. Frankly as often as I have heard of this problem I'm surprised no one offers a rebuild kit for this complete with drill bits,taps and screws for the fix!

I went through the same thing. I think what happened in my case is that the threads in the receiver were damaged when I took the original screws out. Then it didn't take much to completely strip them out when installing the new ones.

I bought a heli-coil kit and heli-coiled all five holes.

HELI-COIL Interested to know EXACTLY which ones/size/type you used. Don't have much experience with them. Thanks

I went through the same thing. I think what happened in my case is that the threads in the receiver were damaged when I took the original screws out. Then it didn't take much to completely strip them out when installing the new ones.

I bought a heli-coil kit and heli-coiled all five holes.

Edited by slvraro

Sidearmor suggested to use the original factory screws.

I tried it, and they seemed to work fine without anymore stripping.

But...just like with the original factory rail + screws, all 5 screws get very loose after shooting heavy loads (I shot about 50 slugs over the weekend and I had to retighten the screws).

I think this is causing my accuracy to be lower than expected, since I'm using an optic for targeting.

Does anyone else have this problem with either factory or other rail systems? What should I do?

I used blue loctite multiple times, but it seems to have no effect at all and the screws come loose just as fast.

Sidearmor suggested to use the original factory screws.

I tried it, and they seemed to work fine without anymore stripping.

But...just like with the original factory rail + screws, all 5 screws get very loose after shooting heavy loads (I shot about 50 slugs over the weekend and I had to retighten the screws).

I think this is causing my accuracy to be lower than expected, since I'm using an optic for targeting.

Does anyone else have this problem with either factory or other rail systems? What should I do?

I used blue loctite multiple times, but it seems to have no effect at all and the screws come loose just as fast.

Yup, it is happening to me and I am thinking about selling my Side Armor and going with KIPS instead.

Yup, it is happening to me and I am thinking about selling my Side Armor and going with KIPS instead.

This is exactly what I did. Not because of stripped screws, butt because of proper rail height, weight and actually being in spec. Since the SideArmor rail sits higher than the stock top rail, the inclusion of the sight channel cut is a little more important. Kip's top rail uses the factory fasteners. So this problem isn't present.

The only issue is, the top rails have been out of stock for a while. This sucks, because I need another one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1004[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1006[/ATTACH]

A lot of chit chat about this screw, so I thought some might want to know a little more about about it.

I use 8.5 inch / lbs of torque combined with blue Loctite which avoids misery when you only have 2.5 mm of aluminum alloy thread engagement available .

Full size photos here:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/Screw1.png

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/Screw2.png

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/Screw3.png

For some reason when I upload the photos they get reduced to ~ 9 kb size which is ridiculous ! How can I post full size photos ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1001[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1003[/ATTACH]

Edited by benelliwerkes