New Member from North of the border

CanuckBen

My oh my where to start.

The 1st thing to clear up - there's no such thing as a "right" to gun ownership. You have you 1st amendment right to bare arm. That's wonderfull, but we don't have that here, so do keep that in mind. Perhaps I would buy into more if it would be corrected to keep in mind the difference between the arms of then and those of today. I have the right to "bare arms" if I want to, and you should too, unfortunately you do not :( . It's the 2nd Amendment, FYI, I know you are not a US citizen, so I understand how you got that mixed up. I don't know Canadian constitution (is there one?) so I'm not judging. Why should we not be allowed to have weapons now, just because they are more advanced? It's not like the rules of firearm safety ever changed, and it's not like dead got more dead, and it's not like my weapons fire tactical nukes. It's still 1 trigger-pull, one target, or shotgun. Both were around then.

Why do you say that our government doesn't want us to have guns? Because they don't allow you to. Perhaps you should clarify what type of guns you meant by that.Well, I meant anything that you can't have (within reason), as outlined by your previous post. I can own as many shotgun and rifles as I wish too. You can't own my Benelli M4 with 7-shot magazine. Sure they aren't fully automatic rifles,We can't own those here without a tax-stamp, and then only in certain states. but I do not have a need for one either.You don't have a "need" for a car. People did just fine with horses and buggies. It's about want and pursuit of happiness. In the case of some firearms, it is in the pursuit of maintaining life and limb (like the pistol I carry). I can own as many handgun as I wish too, but there are limitations. Fair? Perhaps not, but it is the reality of today. Will it change? Most likely not. Will I (or should I say - we) loose any sleep over it? No. Because you have never (I am assuming here...) known different. Does a blind person lose sleep if they were blind from birth? I doubt it. Does a 30 year old who is blinded in an accident? I bet much moreso...

You comparison between (and I must repeat myself here as you may have missed it from my original post) a LOADED and UNLOCKED firearm, at the easy reach of anyone who may be out of your responsible supervision is NOT the same as leaving your car keys around. I don't have kids, and I live alone, so I will leave my weapon loaded, one in the chamber, and ready to rock 'n roll if need be if I want. C'mon now..don't you think that's reaching for it a little too much don't you think? No, I don't. You think a car isn't just as deadly? You think children aren't just as likely to take daddy's mustang for a joy ride? Get on YouTube and do a few searches, lol.

You mentionned that from a very young age you were thought gun safety. So do I and that's great and it should stay that way. What were you implying by that point? I am implying that if people taught their children gun safety they wouldn't have to lock the gun up. My father never did, and I knew where it and the ammo were from a VERY early age. Never was an issue in the slightest. I grew up around plenty of guns, and no locks. I'm still here, and so is everyone else around me, and there are no new holes in anything that shouldn't have one. We have mandatory gun safety and hunter classes. You pass them ONCE in your life and you're good to go.

As for feeling guilty following the theft of my firearm resulting in the death of someone else. You wouldn't feel even a LITTLE responsible? Not even flintch for the family of....ahhh ****, right, so such thing as playing the "victim's" card. My bad. How about instead we say that you could have prevented it? Would that put a different twist to it? I highly doubt it. I could just not own a firearm that way I would never even risk someone being killed by it. That's the extreme thought you are leading up to. However, no, I don't feel bad if some criminal commits a crime and kills someone. Sure, I am horribly sorry it happened and mourn the loss of life, but it's not my fault that someone else did something. Not at all. I would feel sorrow, but not responsibility.

What I am missing out on here? Fully automatic assault riffles? Going to get gas with a S&W on my belt? You are missing being able to CCW (I think?) to protect yourself when you leave your house, you are missing being able to own a real Benelli M4, you are missing being able to own an AR-15 or AK47 or any other number of weapons I find enjoyable to shoot (No they are not full auto, lol, but I would like that! Cost me $15K though the way things are.)

I too just can't get on board of that logic you're trying to prove. It's so "paranoia" mindset No, what's paranoid is being afraid someone will steal your weapon and go on a killing spree and it's all your fault.; thinking that your life is hanging in the balance everytime you leave your home or close your lights when going to bed. It does, to deny it is to not watch the news. I don't lose sleep over it, but I do know there are bad people in this world. Do you really live in such fear all the time? Do you lock your house when you leave? Your car? I do. Why should I not also carry a weapon? I will likely never need it, but if I did, suck not to have it, no? If so..well I'd like to say that we feel bad for you, but ****** no ; )

I suppose living in Canada you have never had the rights I do, and it is impossible for you to understand. Like trying to explain "Blue" to someone born blind. You won't get it until someone mugs you or something, or someone you know. I sincerely hope that never happens, but once you know someone who gets killed who could have fought back but was instead un-armed, maybe your opinions will change.

Maybe this can summarize my mindset better for you: http://www.killology.com/sheep_dog.htm

Edited by Unobtanium

And on that note.

I really still don't see where in fact this thread took the turn from Hey-NewGuyHere to discussing gun control. Ah yes, humour (or the usual and annoying sarcasm of - wow you can have guns, don't ride canoes and live in iglos?) it was, or failing to see it once again.

Quite too bad actually.

Best of luck to you all!

I'm gonna go lock everything up in my safe now..

Well I live in Canada and follow the laws of my country. The deal is to be prepared. If I am sleeping at night and get awakened by noise, I can get up, go to my dual(ammo & guns) gun safe, punch in the combination(which is hooked-up to my house alarm key pad where I can also push the silent panic button to notify police), open it up, load my Sig P226 with tack light lazer combo with a mag clip of 10 rounds in the dark ready to go in 15 seconds. That is the fastest I could do while practicing this in the dark. My safe is about 10 feet from my bed. In my safe, I always have a few tousand rounds handy(because I shoot IPSC) and a couple of 10 round mags ready to go and about 10 of the ten round mags handy.

Would I rather have my P226 in my night stand drawer? Sure I would, but it would be to easy access to my 6-year old twins.

That is the fastest I could do while practicing this in the dark.

You bring up an excellent point; while i personally keep a glock fully loaded and unlocked in my nightstand (i live in texas and have no children), you can be just as prepared with an unloaded, locked up gun if you know your setup, know your weapon, and Practise! As soon as i have kids, i know ill start locking up my guns as well!

Ever wonder that if any psycho couldn't walk into a walmart and buy a couple guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo you wouldn't need to have a s&w 500 or an assault rifle loaded under the bed for 'protection'?. I think alot of hoer countries should take a look at Canada's gun laws and look at the gun related crimes in this country before they say anything. Yes you could own an automatic assault rifle with a 100 round clip. A bit over kill for some standard 'home defense'. If you feel your life's in danger call the cops that's what they get paid for.

Ever wonder that if any psycho couldn't walk into a walmart and buy a couple guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo you wouldn't need to have a s&w 500 or an assault rifle loaded under the bed for 'protection'?. I think alot of hoer countries should take a look at Canada's gun laws and look at the gun related crimes in this country before they say anything. Yes you could own an automatic assault rifle with a 100 round clip. A bit over kill for some standard 'home defense'. If you feel your life's in danger call the cops that's what they get paid for.

Ever wonder if five guys could kick down your door with baseball bats and knives (no permits required) when your wife or duaghter is home alone? or even yourself ? would you rather she (or you) have a loaded gun and know how to use it ? mine does. or have government laws to make us all safe?

Assumptions:

Gun-crime only happens near Wal-Marts that sell guns.

Police respond instantly, with no time-delay, and arrive as soon as called (time-warp?)

Debunking of assumptions:

Review violent crime-rates in England since firearms were restricted.

Ask anyone who has ever called the police how long it took for them to get there. Consider how long your wife would hold out against a couple guys armed with bats. How do those time-frames match up?

(I have "called" the police twice in my life)

Occasion 1: I set off a burglar alarm while trying to get into a guy's shed who's lawn my grandpa and I were land-scaping while he was away, as he had inadvertantly left teh alarm set. Response time was 15 minutes.

Occasion 2: Domestic dispute in my apartment complex involving an incoherently screaming woman, yelling man, and a screeching infant: Response time @3 minutes from when I called, and the operator said I was not the first one who had called, so MINIMUM 3 minutes assuming the operator was a liar...

Edited by Unobtanium