Benelli M4 -- Magazine Tube Removal Pictorial

StrangerDanger

I guess ill break down and order my CC full tube today. These M4's are rapidly becoming money pits. $1600 for the shotgun, $350 for a C-stock, $180 for a tube. And I still want a red/green dot site system, sureshell shell carrier and maybe a 3 point sling. Guess I need to start playing the lotto. LOL. :cool:

Zeke, yes on the snap ring pliers!! Will make your life a lot easier.

Can't wait to see the results of your install, enjoy!! It's fun.

Make sure you get this kind of snap ring plier set:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d Toolsmv=rr

The snap ring in the tube needs to be squeezed together to remove and reinstall, so if you get a "dual purpose" snap ring plier, you'll have more options.

I got mine at Home Depot, Vice Grip brand, not very expensive.

Done deal, I went to Home Depot on lunch today and picked up a snap ring plier very simular to your pic, but mine is made by Channel Lock. Also picked up some Acetone and heat gun and balsa wood. Im ready !! Got another 3 week wait though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1631[/ATTACH]

Nevermind.. I figured it out...........These are before pictures! I still have a 3 week wait before my CC Tube gets here.

Edited by Zeke

Guest cleefurd

I don't use it, and only recommend doing so deferring to factory intent, which is much more practical than inserting a disclaimer about the possibility of loosening. There are advantages to both approaches, and I too like the unfettered abilty to conduct full disassembly on a moments notice, so I skip the use of loctite. If I were headed to an event or scenario where extensive daily use or training were taking place, I would strongly reconsider reversing my personal stance. It is more "worry free" if loctited, and that prudence is the main reason I recommend the average owner use loctite.

Reminds me of my Stihl chainsaw. There are two types of chains available... a sedate variant that cuts well but won't kick back, and a "Saber Tooth" variant that makes short work of timber, that will kick back and maim the uninitiated user. It is up to the end user to decide what works best for his/her level of attentiveness to aggressive hand tightening, routine observation of the assembly status, and how easy they prefer complete disassembly remain.

I realize it would be much easier to choose one approach and ignore the other, but I know both methods have merit, and try to assure that either will suffice, and that a choice exists. The one involving loctite is like using a seatbelt... tedious, but down the road, under less than ideal conditions... arguably favorable.

When I removed the receiver extension, it took a lot longer to break the thread locker. It took about 30 minutes to break the lock nut free. Then another 30 - 40 minutes to get the receiver extension to budge. When I reinstalled my new three position extension unit, I applied a lot of red locktite to both the receiver extension and the lock nut. It would be a bad day at the range to have the receiver extension unscrew on you during recoil. Fortunately due to the ingenious design of the Benelli stocks, only the tail section of the collapsible stock can put any torque on the receiver extension. The pistol grip is indexed in place by the trigger group.

About 2000 rounds later, I haven't had any issue with it.

I may be pulling it off in the near future though. I got a hold of a second 3 position receiver extension. My loose plan is to send it and the plunger off to WMD guns and have them coated in nickel boron.I just have to get off my butt to mail the parts to them. My loose goal is to increase the cyclic rate through reduced friction. I'll be happy with even a marginally improved lock time.

Edited by StrangerDanger

• 4 months later...

So after two attempts to get the magazine off, I took a short break, then decided one last attempt for the night. Full blast of the 1200 watt heat gun for 12 minutes, and it finally broke loose. Some people mention that they see green thread locker, and some people say they have red. Mine was clearly red. Glad I finally got it off. Much easier putting the new tube on!

• 9 months later...

Man! Videos make that look so easy....clearly not so.

i bought a wagner digital heater ( other type they made only has two settings, one low and one higher) this one went up to around 1250 f or so. Started out like te instructions said at around 450. At first i didnt have a vise so was trying to do it holding the receiver in a towel clamped in my knees with my dad trying to turn. Was not budging so i upted it to around 750. After heating fir maybe 10 minutes the whole receiver was starting to get really hot and the tube budged slightly. Red loctite.

finally gave up and got access to a vise. Basically had to hit it with around 1000 for a few minutes before it started to turn and i just kept the heat on while dad kept turning. But that was not something i could have done alone.. Muche easier with two people.

but now the new tube is on and looks great. So now i can go walk around with thise two extra rounds and know how much money and effort went into it!

;)

Hi everyone, new member here...Got my M4 a couple of weeks ago and did my research...after emailing Kip to check on availability and being presented with that scenario, I opted to go FFT Titanium tube with new forend and follower from FFT as well. I'm pleased with the results and with this guide everything was very easy to do...Thanks again!