Urbino Grip Question

kaduku

Sorry, but I was unable to search for this answer. Mitch from Mesa Tactical had mentioned a few months ago that the boxy grip on the Urbino stock for the Benelli M4 was going to be addressed with a new updated design that closely matches the OEM grip on the M4.

Just wondering if this had already been addressed?

• 2 months later...

I was at SHOT last month and unfortunately nothing has been done to correct the grip shape. The owner did not give the impression that he planned on doing so either. Shame, I love everything else about the stock but the strange flat shape is a deal breaker for me.

I poke around on Mesa's forum now and again and it's my impression that they won't be addressing it anytime soon, if ever. in my experience, you have those that like it and this who don't with little in-between. After handling one I don't like it compared to the OEM. That said, the OEM grip will fit on the Mesa stock so that in itself kinda relegates it to moot. Most will be switching over from a PG already so they should have the OEM version and if not, you can order if from Brownells or Numrich.

I'm not crazy about the urbino in general, mostly because they decided to go bolt-on instead of the way that the OEM stocks mount. I prefer the c-stock anyway.

+1 to pretty much everything KB Fab said.

The mounting system is a big fail IMO. The part the stock is using to screw into was not meant to be used in that manner. The threaded portion itself is loosely threaded into the receiver extension. I know of several incidents where people had issues with the stock breaking loose on them during firing. So they opted to apply locktite to the screw. This caused a bigger cluster F*** when they attempted to remove the stock for maintenance. The threaded portion was fuzed to the screw and the entire assembly unscrewed from the receiver extension. The small snap ring at the base of the extension sheered off or was stuck between the two free spinning parts.

The recoil spring flies out along with the plunger. Most ended up having to cut the stocks open to get their parts back. From the cases I'm aware of, Mesa did warranty the stock. Several rather expensive M4 parts had to be purchased as a result of the damage however.

I believe Mitch confirmed the Urbino will accept the OEM Benelli M4 grip. They are available at B-ro-wn-ells, part #301-000-247, for $18.99.

I’d post a link, but that would cause this reply to vanish into thin air…:(

oops, KB beat me to the draw!

It may fit but it was the hard internal shape that was square and uncomfortable. I dont see how a pliable over-grip would eliminate this?

I finally broke down and bought an Urbino a few weeks ago. It makes a WORLD of difference. Should have gotten one sooner!

Anyway, yes, the standard Urbino pistol grip is boxy and uncomfortable. It was easy enough (not super easy, but easy enough) to pry the rubbers off it and the OEM stock, and put the OEM grip onto the Urbino. Feels much better (see photo below).

6854507439_648d65e431_b.jpg

That said, if you're in CA like me, you have to either accept the Urbino for what it is, or modify the long LOP OEM stock. The CA DOJ considers the m4 an assault weapon with the collapsible stock.

Collapsible stocks make weapons more dangerous don't ya know... From what everyone should learn from TV, Movies, and Video games the more tactical your weapon looks the more dangerous (and bad-ass) you are.

• 2 years later...
That said, if you're in CA like me, you have to either accept the Urbino for what it is, or modify the long LOP OEM stock. The CA DOJ considers the m4 an assault weapon with the collapsible stock.

Ridiculous huh. The whole collapsible stock on asemi-auto shotgun doesn't make any sense at all. Why are collapsiblestocks ok on an AR variants and pumps? Makes no sense to me. From what Iunderstand the whole reasoning behind it is concealment, but a semi-autoshotgun is no shorter than a pump or AR variant when fully collapsed.

I wouldn't say "it goes right on" but it DOES go on there and when you get it on, you'll be looking at it going "oh wow, the fit isn't PERFECT, this stinks" but after a little squeezing here and pushing there, it'll get close enough that once you take it out shooting a couple more times, you suddenly realize the darn thing is in place and looks like it was born there.

I did this and it does take some prodding but it'll go and what doesn't fit when you do it at home, will fall into place as you handle it at the range.

I love my urbino stock and wouldn't trade it for all the adjustables in the world. I got them on my ARs and prefer to solid stock on my shotguns.

But it's a preference thing and everyone is different...

It takes some pressure to get off, it's something like marine goop'd on and the plastic is "notched" to help it not come off easily. It's just as much a pain in the butt to get the benelli one back on but like Sharkey said, once it does go on, it looks pretty close to factory designed