extractor spring

mysbeII

Here's the style punch modification you need to remove the extractor retaining pin.....replacing it use a proper-sized roll pin punch as there are no obstacles to driving the pin in to the bolt to install the extractor. The one illustrated is a modified Brownell hardened punch tip, but any hard punch will do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1117[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

No one said it was easy ! The extractor has a hole in it, thru which passes the roll pin; the extractor spring is held in place by the back edge of the extractor internally. Remove the pin, the extractor and its spring will be liberated. The difficulty is that the pin has to be removed from top to bottom of the bolt head, as there is obviously insufficient clearance for the roll pin to exit the top of the bolt. A modified pin punch will be required as only ~ 30 % of the top of the roll pin circumference is available to make contact with any punch surface. The removal is facilitated by securing the bolt head in a padded vise to assure that all the force of the punch tip is transferred to the roll pin to initially "get it moving"; if you attempt it on a soft table top etc, the force will be absorbed by the platform the bolt is resting on. The factory probably has a special XYZ tip fitted to a hydraulic arbor press to spit that pin right out.

Here's the style punch modification you need to remove the extractor retaining pin.....replacing it use a proper-sized roll pin punch as there are no obstacles to driving the pin in to the bolt to install the extractor. The one illustrated is a modified Brownell hardened punch tip, but any hard punch will do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1117[/ATTACH]

To be fair, I just used a regular punch and some common sense and was careful. The punch DID bend a good bit, so make sure it is sacrificial, but a special punch is not "mandatory". Just very helpful!

can you reuse the extractor retaining pin, or does it have to be replaced with a new one? wasn't sure if it was sacrificial. i have a new spring, but i didn't order a new retaining pin. i don't want to drive the old pin out and not be able to reuse it w/o having a new one if necessary.