Chokes coming slightly unseated during firing ? Is this normal?

blackpowder1

Hi folkes,

I have the Benelli M2 with choke option and I do use the chokes quite a bit. First shotgun with chokes I ever had. I properly clean and lube chokes and threads after switching them and generally do all the recommended maintenance on them. I also tighten them correctly. But since the beginning I always had the problem with the chokes loosening a bit inside the barrel after about 20 to 25 shots fired. Not much, a fraction of an inch, and easily tightened again with a slight right twist.

My Question: Is this normal? Seems the continuous concussions of firing the gun slightly loosen up the chokes in the threads a bit after a while. Does anyone have a similar problem or comment on this ??:)

Hi folkes,

I have the Benelli M2 with choke option and I do use the chokes quite a bit. First shotgun with chokes I ever had. I properly clean and lube chokes and threads after switching them and generally do all the recommended maintenance on them. I also tighten them correctly. But since the beginning I always had the problem with the chokes loosening a bit inside the barrel after about 20 to 25 shots fired. Not much, a fraction of an inch, and easily tightened again with a slight right twist.

My Question: Is this normal? Seems the continuous concussions of firing the gun slightly loosen up the chokes in the threads a bit after a while. Does anyone have a similar problem or comment on this ??:)

Only if you use no choke-tube grease/anti-seize and Benelli's crap wrench.

Buy a Briley speed wrench and some choke-tube grease. It's well worth it and it fixes the problem.

right, I also don't over tighten them....the tool is at home anyhow. Just give it a slight twist with my thumb. But after about a dozen rounds - AGAIN. Just annoying :mad:

Get the anti-seize grease and tighten the **** out of it. Liberally greased, I have NEVER had an issue with getting it back out. Of course, don't blame me if you can't, I'm just offering my alternative as it worked well for me.

*I have never measured the force I put on them, but I would guess around 20-30 lb-ft or so. They "pop" when I "break" them out for removal, if that makes sense. It shouldn't be anything insane, please don't take my advice to the extreme, just get it in there a lot better than you are now.