Target Loads

scd46

I have two brands of target loads available to buy. I have been going to the sporting clay course 1 to 2 times a week for three months. I shoot 50 targets each time. I am using a Federal Target load and Winchester AA target load both are 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 8. On my score sheets I am picking up 4 to 5 more hits when using Winchester AA. Is there any difference with these shot shells?

21 Dec. 11

Check the velocity of the two loads or the Dram Equiv Wt. of powder charge. Both Winchester and Federal make several different 1 1/8 oz loads and you may find that one or the other is faster. If you tend to shoot behind crossing targets, the faster load might help a little and lead to a higher score.

The truth of the matter is that a difference of 100-200 feet per second makes so little difference in lead requirement that most people aren't helped much by the faster stuff.

It is possible that you gun patterns one load better than the other. Very high or low velocity loads can blow patterns but again, that's a real stretch with factory ammunition.

If Winchester is working better for you, use it. If you ever start reloading, the AA hulls will out last the Federal.

Bill

If your not in competition, I would shoot the cheaper shell. 4-5 clays is a big difference, but I would learn to swing your gun a little faster to pickup the extra birds. Maybe setup one day on just passing birds. That's what I did on the skeet field. Shot 100 rounds in a row at each station over 8 weeks. Went from shooting 15 to average 23.2

I am going to try to compensate the crossing shots with the load I am using this weekend. I have a couple boxes of the lower velocity loads. I am swinging threw and pulling the trigger when the barrel covers the clay on crossings targets. I'll try to figure it out. I hope 2012 brings you many 25 straights on the skeet field.

Went and shot 50 targets today. I learned that the course is changed on a regular basis. I also learned that I cant plan a shot until I am at a station and can see the presented target. Its strange to see on my sheets a 4-5 hit increase when using a particular load of ammo. But after today and learning all the different variables. I think it has most to do with how I shoot the presented course on that day.