10 year clean

billy g

Looking a bit of help. Been shooting the m1 super 90 (mancino) for just over 10 years. She's had the barrels, trigger mech and reciever cleaned but that been about it. Any way just taken to the wild fowling, got messed up pretty bad on the foreshore over the weekend resulting in first misfire. There was a lot of sand and grime got in and around the bolt and inot the recoil tube. After reading endless forums and feeling a tad guilty for not doing it before i thought i'd giver the mag and recoil tubes a good clean which am sure will solve the prob but cant work out how to get into the mag tube. Does the whole tube screw of from the reciever. The end of the tube mag is seemless with no nut to screw of. There seems to be a cap in place but ive tried removing with vice grips with no luck. before i make a mess of it with vice grips I wanted to be sure what am at.

Any help be much apprciated.

Billy

There are a couple of different recoil spring tubes that I have had. One with flats that you can use a wrench to take the tube off the receiver as well as take the tube apart. Another one didn't have the flats. I ended up using vice grips on it to take it off the receiver after heating the threads up a bit. The vice grip method basically destroyed the tube but I was replacing it with a stainless steel version anyway, so it didn't matter.

If you have one with the flats that you can apply a wrench to, and you're looking to take it off the receiver, you still need to heat up the area where the tube attaches to loosen the loctite. You don't need a lot of heat. If you're only looking to take the tube apart without taking it off the receiver, heat up the other end to loosen the end cap.

The M1 magazine tube is removed just like the other M series tubes, heat gun and patience. For the M1 tubes that require removing the magazine tube to clean it, the magazine spring and follower....the removal part is easy. The circus begins when you attempt to keep the follower contained in the tube while you are re-installing the tube to the receiver. It lessen the drama with the installation step, if you are so inclined, you can fabricate a simple rod system to control all the parts together during the process. A few photos (which will exceed the 5 photos / post limit) will illustrate the process and the simple tool. I am not quite sure why the photos won't upload in the correct sequence, but you'll be able to figure it out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1204[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1205[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1206[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1207[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1203[/ATTACH]

Boys that’s fantastic bit of info, thanks for taking the time, much appreciated. Will give that a blast this evening and let you know how I fair.

Read a fair bit about changing recoil springs, the gun is over 10 year old, is it worth doing now or would you blast away until it fails? It can be frightful getting spares in the UK.

She has shoot everything from 2 ½” 26gm to 3” 56gm mags flawlessly so far, I’m pretty sure (hopeful) when she gets a proper cleaning it will be grand or at this age is it sensible to go ahead and change. O

n a slightly different note when replacing the end to the recoil tube after cleaning does it have to be glued back or can it do without to ease future access.

Thanks again

Billy

It doesn't hurt to have the spare parts available, just in case. After you get it cleaned up and it goes back to working just fine, no big deal. Just put the spares aside for that day when cleaning it just isn't enough.

I've never loctited the recoil tubes when re-installing them and have never had a problem there.

Hey,

I tried posting this last nite but for reasons I can't explain I kept getting a message moderator would have to approve my posting. Anyway.... there's a lot of good info on recoil tube maint in this thread by Remarkable

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/9912-Cycling-Problems-amp-Maintenance?highlight=recoil+spring

Later,

Hookster :)