Choke for Hevi-Shot

izzman

izzman,

Give Benelli Customer Service a call and post back their answer.

The Benelli FAQ does not talk about Hevi-shot. Just steel.

Q: What choke should I use for steel shot?

A: Most people find that the Modified choke works best for pass shooting and the Improved Cylinder and Cylinder chokes work well on decoying birds. Nothing is gained by trying to shoot steel through a choke tighter than Modified and we do not recommend doing so.

You can reach Benelli Customer Service at:

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/contact.tpl

Regards threeshot

Be clear - the SBE & SBE II have totally different choke systems - there is almost no analogy between the two systems.

I'd say wait it out a bit on the SBE II.

Most choke mf'ers are still trying to figure the Benelli Crio choke thing out.

Jeff at Terror is totally redesigning a tube just for the SBE II. He is not happy with the problems from just plunking a Beretta Optima Plus tube in the Benelli Crio Choke guns. Lots of patterning problems and some bulging issues.

Briley would be my first choice for a mf'er to figure out what works best, especially since they make some tubes for Benelli already. Maybe contact them?

I had to send 6 SBE II choke tubes back already that were not designed properly.

mudhen - CA

Mudhen: My Terror .675 seems to work fine in my SBE II; used for snow geese and turkey with no problems and good patterns with Hevi-Shot and Steel BB's. I've read some posts here about some problems and some very good results on patterning pages and hunting. Could you please elaborate to refresh my memory on problems? Thanks

The Terror .675 should be fine.

The tighter chokes like .655, which are very popular with the snow goose crowd, can bulge the choke and barrel with large hard pellets like steel or HS. By large, Jeff mentioned anything larger than BB. But I have read several reports of bulging in Beretta Extremas using steel BB's. The Extrema uses the Optima Plus which is the same tube as the Crio Choke.

I spoke with Jeff several times about the SBE II and he told me he was redesigning a new tube to eliminate the choke/barrel bulge problem.

I returned my Terror .655 for the SBE II - it patterned very poorly with several turkey loads.

mudhen - CA