3in or 3 1/2 in?

kshuntr

Does 3 1/2 really make that big of a deal when goose hunting? i was looking at getting the vinci, but after doing more research i was thinking that the super vinci owuld be beteer, but Im also going to be shooting 1 oz. loads mostly so they might not cycle as well in the super vinci tham the regular vinci. whats your thoughts?

A 3 1/2" shell with a Patternmaster choke puts a hurt on the big geese. Just something to think about..

I have a gun that I duck hunt with and a gun that I use strictly for geese. I'll get some looks from other guys for packing two guns out to the blind with me but that's how I make things happen.

I personally love shooting 3.5's at geese. When you need a little extra for smart late season birds, it's definitely nice to have. You might as well get the Super Vinci anyways. If you prefer shooting 3's, great, but if you want to shoot 3.5's, you have that option and don't have to buy or carry another gun.

I have done my fair share of goose killing over the last few years. I shoot a Beretta Extrema 2 and Benelli SBE, both 3.5" guns. I honestly do not think that I have killed a goose with 3.5" load that I would not have killed with a 3" load. That said, all I use are 3" now. I am about to buy another gun...Beretta Urika 2, 3". It's my belief that if the geese are too far away that I can't kill them with a 3" shell, they are too far away to be shot at....

I have done my fair share of goose killing over the last few years. I shoot a Beretta Extrema 2 and Benelli SBE, both 3.5" guns. I honestly do not think that I have killed a goose with 3.5" load that I would not have killed with a 3" load. That said, all I use are 3" now. I am about to buy another gun...Beretta Urika 2, 3". It's my belief that if the geese are too far away that I can't kill them with a 3" shell, they are too far away to be shot at....

i agree with randy; hunting is to kill not to wing and let it die slowly somewhere

Who's talking about winging birds and letting them die slowly somewhere? I don't take questionable shots where I think I might just "scratch" one. Not saying some guys don't, but those are the same guys that would do it whether they were shooting a 3" or 3.5". The length of the shell doesn't dictate whether a person is irresponsible or not. Fact is, a 3.5" shell has more space, which equals more payload, powder, etc. Granted, different manufacturers vary whether they put more powder, more pellets, or a mix of both into the shell, but the bottom line is that it is MORE. Better range, more pellets in the pattern, or a happy median..... whichever it is, I don't see the downfall.....

For the guys that think 3.5" shells are so horrible and apparently make hunters take unethical shots..... why aren't you just shooting 2 3/4"? The same argument can be made with the jump from 2 3/4" to a 3" shell. Bottom line is a 3.5" shell has more pellets. More pellets equals more chance that you kill the bird effectively. Again, I'm failing to see the downside here.

Its hard if not impossible to find 2 3/4 non toxic loads for waterfowl so starting on that kick will get you no where. I why we are on the subject, 20 gauge is enough for duck, geese, and turkey. 20 gauge slugs are good for deer,hog,and other mid sized game.

My friend shoots pheasants with a recurve bow. He has taken hundreds of birds with a shotgun and wanted more of a challenge. 3 1/2 isn't bad. But for the people that want more of a challenge, bringing game in closer, smaller, less powerful ammo is the way to go. Same reason I only deer hunt with a bow. I rather not get anything or pass up shot then to shoot an animal with a high powered rifle at 400 yards. There is no challenge in that for me.

I bowhunt also, and can appreciate the challenges of that, or shooting smaller loads. I have no problem with that, my problem was when it was made to sound like because I shoot 3.5's, I am somehow inclined to take unrealistic, unethical shots. Like I said before though, people that take stupid shots with 3.5's are the same guys that will take stupid shots with whatever load they are using. By the way, I've always wanted to shoot birds with my bow, but I'm pretty sure I'd go through a lot of arrows!

Remember we're shooting steel shot here.. I've hammered big geese within 25yrds painting the sides of them with blood just to watch them continue to fly up river and die some 800 yards out. I'd rather put more pellets on a goose with a 3.5 if I have the chance rather than risk the possibility of sailing him with a 3 inch duck load.

A good 90% of the birds I shoot are feet down, including geese. I duck hunt for that reason alone right there and because I love working my dog and watching her work. If I could, I would run a 20 gauge for ducks and geese but I'm trying to be realistic here.. Shooting a light steel load like that is just asking to cripple birds I don't care how close they are.

Edited by duckht183

Who's talking about winging birds and letting them die slowly somewhere? I don't take questionable shots where I think I might just "scratch" one. Not saying some guys don't, but those are the same guys that would do it whether they were shooting a 3" or 3.5". The length of the shell doesn't dictate whether a person is irresponsible or not. Fact is, a 3.5" shell has more space, which equals more payload, powder, etc. Granted, different manufacturers vary whether they put more powder, more pellets, or a mix of both into the shell, but the bottom line is that it is MORE. Better range, more pellets in the pattern, or a happy median..... whichever it is, I don't see the downfall.....

Bowhunter,

Taker her easy bro, nothing was directed to you specifically or anyone in particular for that matter. I think his reply was a general statement. I have seen it over and over again in public areas ( I'm sure you have too) where people skybust because "they have 3.5" capability". There are very few times when I opt for 3.5" shells. Late season is when I pack em'. Some of my recent hunts, had I been shooting 3.5" shells, I would have probably ruined the birds. We were knocking em down inside 20 yards and the 3" 2 shot heavy metals did some damage to them! I should have packed my M1 Super 90 .20 banger! haha

Excellent Points made.....

I have friends that were stuck with 3.5" shells. Until this year, they listened to me and killed just as many ducks and geese at the same distances as with 3.5"s, and had to shoot no more cripples than before.

3.5's shoot the same velocities as the 3" shells, the only difference is a few more pellets, and a lot more recoil. Though you may get two or three more pellets on target, the penetration is the same. Its simple physics.

I think one of the differences to here is what load/brand your shooting as well as the choke and pattern of your gun. The only time I shoot steel is for the public dove hunts. Non toxic is required and I'm not going to shoot hevi shot at doves. :)

Steel is getting old and outdated. There is alot of alternative loads out there.

I think one of the differences to here is what load/brand your shooting as well as the choke and pattern of your gun. The only time I shoot steel is for the public dove hunts. Non toxic is required and I'm not going to shoot hevi shot at doves. :)

Steel is getting old and outdated. There is alot of alternative loads out there.

I'd hate to see what your ammo bill looks like at the end of the season..

Well, in Canada, you can do jail time for hunting waterfowl with lead. Where I live, the is only two options. Lead and Steel on the store shelves. Obviously, I shoot steel which is outdated according to you. Could you school me on what else is available out there please?

Well, in Canada, you can do jail time for hunting waterfowl with lead. Where I live, the is only two options. Lead and Steel on the store shelves. Obviously, I shoot steel which is outdated according to you. Could you school me on what else is available out there please?

Sure.. Where did I say I shoot lead with waterfowl?

Hevishot, Federal heavyweight are a few to name. There are more non-toxic loads out there than that. No need to school you.. Unless you need help with google.

And for the if you shoot steel, that's great. If that works for you, that's great. But there is more payload out there that just the difference between 3 and 3 1/2 shells.