Military Isse Shotgun Ammo

bobj45

I would certainly try Winchesters New Round:

EAST ALTON, Ill. -Winchester Ammunition is once again cementing PDX1® Defender™ as the industry's most complete and innovative line of ammunition for personal defense.

Headlining the new PDX1 Defender products in 2012 is the Segmenting Slug™ for 12-gauge shotguns. The uniquely designed PDX1 Defender Segmenting Slug segments into three pieces when fired into FBI protocol barriers such as bare, light cloth and heavy cloth covered ballistic gelatin. The round combines all of the advantages of a slug and buckshot, while eliminating the need for two different rounds.

Since I can't post a link on this forum, figure out the following:

theoutdoorwire dot com / story / 1326279372rarasen37fr

I keep several options close at hand......the PDX patterns pretty well, however down range you have to remember those 3 pellets are veering off in 3 different directions than the slug which may cause some unintended collateral misery.

Tru that. This is the Winchester PDX out of my Super Nova Tactical at 20 yards. Still pretty tight at that range but I imagine it opening up quite a bit beyond that.

I keep several options close at hand......the PDX patterns pretty well, however down range you have to remember those 3 pellets are veering off in 3 different directions than the slug which may cause some unintended collateral misery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1249[/ATTACH]

Why a sabot slug? is your choke rifled?

The moderator keeps intercepting my postings with links for review and then never posts them. What a *****.

Therefore I asked permission from OP (DocGKR) on another forum to share the following. The pattern is very impressive.

New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Given Brenneke USA's recent QC issues and the unfortunate unavailability of true Rotweil Brennke loads in the U.S. currently, we have been looking for alternative slug loads that are capable of adequate penetration after first defeating intermediate barriers. We shot the new Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load @ 1350 fps. It penetrated 24" of gel after first defeating an automobile windshield, with no deviation from trajectory and outstanding weight retention. The Federal Truball Deep Penetrator works as a potential Brenneke replacement. As a bonus, it is very accurate out to at least 100 yards.

-----------------------------

Based on IWBA data, Don Hacklander from San Diego Police Supply and I have been discussing the potential of a properly designed #1 buckshot LE load for many years--with Don's help and the efforts of some folks at ATK, this has now finally been brought to fruition!

We shot the new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) yesterday out of a generic 18" 870P, including patterning from 5-35 yards, as well as a bare gel shot at 7 yards. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrated in the 14-18 inch range.

This new Federal LE132-1B #1 buckshot load offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.

Below are a couple photos of patterning shots at 7 and 25 yards:

http://photo2.jpg

http://photo1.jpg

Edited by crofton

Tru that. This is the Winchester PDX out of my Super Nova Tactical at 20 yards. Still pretty tight at that range but I imagine it opening up quite a bit beyond that.

wow I got a much tighter group with the PDX out of my M4. all 4 (slug plus 3 buck) were within a 4 inch circle at 15 to 20 yds.

also the OP only asked what the marines use.... he didnt say he was going to use it for home defence.

Help me out here guys. Why is a four inch group at 20 yards a 'plus' in a defensive shotgun? I have rifles for that. If I pick up a 'scatter gun' I expect it to scatter. A one foot group with nine pellets at 20' is more what I'm after. Otherwise, I'll grab an AR.

you want as many of the pellets as you can get to hit vital organs/tissues. with a 12 inch spread half you pellets may miss or miss vital target areas. the difference between this and the AR is you get 9 pellets with one shot or 81 pellets in a target with the nine shots it would take you with an AR.

Actually, in order to pick a load to meet your needs, you should state the intended purpose. For example, deer hunting from 0-50 yards, the military buckshot is crap-ola. Shooting a home intruder (range 0-40 feet) the military stuff is perfect. Hitting that nasty neighbors huge mutt at 85 yards may require some type of flite control loads. It's all about what you want done. If it's for general purpose, the neighbors pet geese today, your father-in-law tomorrow, that old Mustang ragtop that races by your house early every morning with straight pipes ect... Get the best.