New FFT Stuff

Betatron

I don't.

That thread was brought to my attention by one of my peers who had a similar phone experience with Freedom Fighter Tactical. His personal account is the one I put faith in. He asked me to take a look at many threads (including ours here) and help him decide how to view 922 jargon. I was hard pressed to respond to your inquiry since I agree hear-say is all forums contain. I answered you based on my faith in his personal account, which I do trust. His experience caused him to shy away, when he observed another doofus had a similar chat. It confused him more than anything else, since FFT was the only source poo-pooing Geissele.

Thanks, I appreciate your candor. I'm interested in these parts for a second M4 that I have on the way. My first one has a cc mag tube and the FFT forend, as well as a Geiselle hammer and Brownells follower. For the second one, I'm thinking of going the FFT trigger parts route simply based on numbers. All I need is the mag tube and trigger stuff and then I'm good to go for my c-stock. In reality, I'm not too worried about the FFT hammer. I suspect that there might be some that could have heat treat issues but with FFT's return policy, I have no doubt I'll be taken care of. I already have the cc shorty ti tube waiting.:cool:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you able to divulge the source of the tungston carbide disconnector?

I'll ask if he remembers where he got them as he mentioned getting them last year. Seems like over-kill to me though. He mentioned taking receipt of several for club members where he shoots and offered me one. I took a pass since I'm already compliant.

Are you able to divulge the source of the tungston carbide disconnector?

+1. Please don't just tell us it was heat treated by an outfit that has 30 years experience. Inspire us with pedigrees that have names and bloodlines. And PLEASE post a link to the source, or have your "peer" join the forum and post pics and reviews he and his fellow club members might share.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought FFT products before and T&E'ed them. I purchased a Ti bolt-handle.

One thing that stands out about FFT is how they do business.

They are quick, and my dealing with them on the phone was polite and professional. They make a good effort to get things out the door FAST. They are Kip (Carriercomp)'s direct competitor, and everyone knows it, best of all, them and Kip. They compete with Kip by having very fast "board to production" times, and very short "payment to delivery" times.

There is a down-side, though. That is, that their products are not as thoroughly vetted by the time they reach your hands. They tend to have an R&D and then a production phase--leaving out most of the "evaluation/test" phase that normally goes between the two.

I say this, because it is my experience that their parts have little foibles. Such as the peening on the hammer pictured, or the deforming (albeit mild and minor, but in very few rounds, and of the ridge at the end of the handle that holds it into the weapon) of my Ti bolt from the cycling of the M4's action. Neither the peening pictured on the hammer in this thread nor the deforming of my Ti bolt-handle affect function in a way that could be measured. However, it is undesirable, and could have been avoided had an evaluation phase been allowed to lengthen the "R&D ---> Production" process by a short time.

As to FFT bad-mouthing others, FFT is run by a man helping to support his family off the business and making parts for 1 firearm pretty much. He is competing with Kip, formerly SOCOMguy, Geissele, and a host of others who cater to the M4 platform. Those people are "taking his money" (or he is taking theirs, from their point of view), as one might see it. He has NO RIGHT to lambast any of them, but if he did, although I don't agree with him or support his decision to do so--if he had a bad day and slipped up and badmouthed a competitor on the phone, one-on-one with a customer, I'm not going to hold it against him and say he's a rotten person for it. He made a business decision and lost that customer.

Now, if he pulls a Mark LaRue or a John Hennessey or a Mike Meyers and gets online and starts a bash-fest...well, I bet he would lose a lot more.

I'm not going to let an irrelevant, privileged, ALLEGED conversation of which I know no details skew my opinion, though.

I buy FFT stuff, but only if Kip doesn't also make an identical part. My loyalties and where they are, are not any secret. Still, I don't think we should skewer FFT as such over hearsay.

Now...to the issue at hand...

I think the trigger-pull is likely to be lighter and smoother than factory, although with a little TW25B and optimally positioning the trigger re-set spring, my M4's triggers have all been plenty nice for a shotgun, even shooting groups with slugs. NP3 will lessen the force required, though by 1-2# or so, as noted.

Edited by Unobtanium

• 1 month later...

I already have a Geiselle hammer, so I purchased a few months back FFT's disconnector and trigger. I had no problems shooting 100 birdshot rounds at a skeet range. The combined system produces a notably smoother trigger pull, and I like the NP3 color on the trigger. Thus far, no problems with my FFT trigger or disconnector in conjuction with a Geiselle hammer purchased through Carrier Comp.

I already have a Geiselle hammer, so I purchased a few months back FFT's disconnector and trigger. I had no problems shooting 100 birdshot rounds at a skeet range. The combined system produces a notably smoother trigger pull, and I like the NP3 color on the trigger. Thus far, no problems with my FFT trigger or disconnector in conjuction with a Geiselle hammer purchased through Carrier Comp.

Keep us posted with updates!

• 1 year later...
Yes, some of the triggers are cosmetically imperfect from FFT. No functional issues. I've had about half a dozen members send me their trigger group to tear down to do the installs due to lack of tooling, and the cosmetic blemishes are rare, but present at times.

Stains don't bother me, but flaking does.

I bet if you called Todd at FFT, and placed an order, you could indicate you want a cosmetically perfect one. He'd probably dig through the box and select one for you. The picture above isn't one of my triggers. It was someone's I installed. So I'm not sure if the discoloration got worse. It looks more like a contaminant was on the part before it was plated.

I'm not sure if any changes have been made to the production runs. The disconnector doesn't show any wear at all. The only wear issue I see is with the hammer. I'm not sure if it is just the finish wearing through, or if it is actually deforming the metal.

I posted a few pictures of the hammer face in the other thread. So far the trigger group has been completely reliable. I keep an eye on the hammer to see if the condition gets worse over time.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my setup. Not impressed. Probably going to swap factory parts back in it.

Problems:

-Depress the hammer too far and it locks up.

-Trigger-pack won't fit back in the weapon properly. The hammer axle is crooked and the retaining pin slams into the receiver, now.

Other than that I guess it's okay.

What exactly on the hammer is hanging up?

I've never heard of the trigger pack not going back into the weapon correctly. The trigger cam pin is supported on both sides by the trigger guard. I can't see how it would negatively affected. Inspect the cam pin itself to make sure no damage was caused during the installation. I recall someone telling me they deformed the pin when reinstalling the snap ring.

If you take some pictures of the side profile, I might be able to assist.

What exactly on the hammer is hanging up?

I've never heard of the trigger pack not going back into the weapon correctly. The trigger cam pin is supported on both sides by the trigger guard. I can't see how it would negatively affected. Inspect the cam pin itself to make sure no damage was caused during the installation. I recall someone telling me they deformed the pin when reinstalling the snap ring.

If you take some pictures of the side profile, I might be able to assist.

I'm irritated with it, I'll take a video in the next day or two.

• 3 years later...

Old Thread Revival,

but what was the conclusion of the FFT trigger packs?

Have the Hardness problems been rectified? Finish better?

Thinking about placing an order for the FFT trigger pack, but at $200 it seems kinda steep for an inferior piece..

LMk

Thanks!

I just took a look at the Briley triggers. 270$! It's crazy. It's the dollar tanking or something? I never thought the stock trigger was bad?

And they won't let you install it? I'd really like to hear your take on them.

Means if the FFT triggers, how many have you checked up on though and how have they faired? Hammer dents? Finish flaking? I wonder if the new ones are better somehow.

I just took a look at the Briley triggers. 270$! It's crazy. It's the dollar tanking or something? I never thought the stock trigger was bad?

And they won't let you install it? I'd really like to hear your take on them.

Means if the FFT triggers, how many have you checked up on though and how have they faired? Hammer dents? Finish flaking? I wonder if the new ones are better somehow.

I did not see it as a bad deal.

Take your usual 3 trigger parts (FFT $205)

add install charge

add trigger tuning charge

$270 seems pretty fair. The trigger quality was reviewed positively on the forum here.

Uhm, sorry, tuning?

I used to dyno tune fuel and ignition maps but find it difficult to apply that definition to a singular mechanism as simple as a trigger.

Can you point me to a review of these triggers and more about them?

Also, any updated info on the latest batch of FFTs is appreciated. I might go that route if they got their ducks in a row.

I have not personally had any FFT trigger components fail. I've heard others have had some issues, but in the 50 or so I've done - no issues with FFT, mixed with OEM or with Geissele components.

Some triggers have finish defects. Minor pock marks or scuffed NP3 finish. Some care, some do not

I've yet to handle the Briley set, so I can't comment on them. I prefer to do the installs myself though.