Nova won't fire in cold weather

Novaboy

I have a Nova that's only a year old. for some reason it wont fire in cold weather. I had a beautiful shot on a duck this morning and all I heard was "click". Any help?

Did the firing pin strike the primer?

Were you able to fire following immediate and or remedial action?

Edited by crofton

My first thoughts whenever a cold weather mis-fire occurs is to break down the gun and give the firing pin, spring, and bolt a good cleaning. Oil left in the firing pin channel will eventually evaporate to a grease like consistency. Add in cold temps and it's not hard to imagine the firing pin moving very sluggishly, if at all, at the hammer strike.

My guns are well oiled, but their firing pins are just about bone dry. A slight wipe with a small patch that has maybe two drops of oil is all that area receives.

Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

My first thoughts whenever a cold weather mis-fire occurs is to break down the gun and give the firing pin, spring, and bolt a good cleaning. Oil left in the firing pin channel will eventually evaporate to a grease like consistency. Add in cold temps and it's not hard to imagine the firing pin moving very sluggishly, if at all, at the hammer strike.

My guns are well oiled, but their firing pins are just about bone dry. A slight wipe with a small patch that has maybe two drops of oil is all that area receives.

Best of luck!

What he said.

Hi Novaboy, If you heard “click,” the firing pin dropped, but not hard enough to ignite the primer. So… your firing pin is hanging up and not striking the primer adequately.

You only need to disassemble the bolt, clean every part therein, and check the springs to return your gun to reliable firing in any temperature.

--Spike

• 8 years later...

I have had this issue - when it gets cold I get a click.

but wait - there’s more. I also get this: the trigger won’t pull on the first shell out of three. If I eject it - assuming the gun is going to fire at all - then the other two will shoot.

this is ridiculous. I would just at soon throw it at geese as shoot it.