M2 semi auto malfunction ?

blackpowder1

Hi all around,

Shot my M2 today and once after the last shell was fired I noticed the bolt didnt stay open as it should. I Looked at it kind of puzzled and then just pulled back the bolt manually. And there it was: The spent, smoking shell popped out and the bolt locked back in the open position as it should have done in the first place. Never happened before. Strange. :(

Anyone have any clue as to what could have caused this? THANKS!

until now both, 2 3/4 and the 2 1/2 inch shells worked properly. However, the lighter recoil of the 2 1/2 is noticeable. Perhaps it is like you said and that one shell just didn't make it all the way back to the ejector and went back into battery with the closing bolt. If it hadn't been the last shot, it would have probably jammed with the next shell coming up.

Question is: are the 32g or 500gr of powder in these shells adequate to reliably work the recoil driven action of the M2 ? What do you think?

martin

Hi Martin,

I’m not sure how many grains of powder the gun requires to recycle, but I have fired reloads (not mine but reloaded by my dad) that would not operate the bolt.

Hopefully someone who reloads can answer your very good question. I’m curious about this as well.

Thanks for posting,

--Spike