Newbie Here..................

Zeke

Hey guys, just got a new M4 and Im pretty excited on shooting it for the first time. I researched it pretty hard and found out that it is one of the best. The only thing that I bummed about is this 922r stuff. I do plan on add ons but I got to make sure Im doing it correctly. ;)

LOL.....Yah I already ordered a Botach Handguard (4 rail system) for it $150. I havent got it yet. I also plan on getting the extended magazine/with follower. I am not sure about the stock yet. I live in Pennsylvania and state is pretty leniant as far as gun regulations. Anyways thanks !!

Congrats, Zeke. I definitely recommend Carriercomp's titanium mag tube (with free follower). It takes a little while to get it, but it's well worth the wait! It was one of the first things I added to mine. BTW- It will take care of two parts toward compliance (the tube plus the follower).

LOL.....Yah I already ordered a Botach Handguard (4 rail system) for it $150.

Hey Zeke you should be fairly happy with the Botach KZ handguard. It's a very solid setup. I used to have one and reviewed them here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/19590-KZ-U-S-made-forearm-review?highlight=kz+review

I sold mine as I moved into other configurations but have often considered getting another to tryout some alternative light mounting options.

Let us know what you think after you get it set up. Are you planning on mounting a light?

Later,

Hookster :)

Thanks for the welcome.....Marc63/Hookster

Its always cool to know that I am getting expert advise first hand. So you guys know this gun real well?? I gotta admit, I was attracted to this gun when I first started doing research on it. I was actually leaning hard towards a Rem. 870 (home defense gun, $400), but I opted for the Benelli M4 ($1650). I just didnt tell my wife. LOL..

Also how long of a wait is it for your CC Tube/follower?

Also, once your M4 was compliant, I understand that you have to send a letter to the ATF telling them what you did to your M4, and they will send you a follow up letter stating that it is compliant?? Am I correct on this?

Sorry for all of the questions............

Cant wait to shoot this peice of art !;)

Hey Zeke!

I just tried to post a reply regarding your Botach KZ forearm but it got headed off for delayed posting because it had a link in it. Anyway..... You should be fairly happy with your KZ. I used to have one but sold it because I was looking for something at the time that would allow me to keep my Sidearmor rail system so I ended up with a Surefire M80. I reviewed the KZ when I first got it ( the dreaded link I tried to post ) Just put in "KZ forearm review" in the search box at the top of the page and it will bring it right up (pictures start on page 3) I've often thought about getting another KZ to try out some other light mounting options I've had in mind. Are you going to be mounting a light?

As far as compliance....No you don't need to write to the ATF about anything. Several of us (including me) did write them for clarification of the law as it relates to the M4. Again I don't want to send another post to limbo by posting a link so I'll just suggest putting "ATF letter response" in the search box to find the thread started by MeanGreen that will show you the responses we received and some healthy debate on the subject.

As I recall, I waited about 8 weeks on my CC tube......Totally worth the wait!!!!

Later,

Hookster:)

Edited by Hookster

I just tried to post a reply regarding your Botach KZ forearm but it got headed off for delayed posting because it had a link in it. Anyway..... You should be fairly happy with your KZ.

I just recieved mine (KZ) yesterday, I installed it with no issues and I think it looks great. If anything, the barrel slides a little harder when disassembling and reassembling.

I used to have one but sold it because I was looking for something at the time that would allow me to keep my Sidearmor rail system so I ended up with a Surefire M80. I reviewed the KZ when I first got it ( the dreaded link I tried to post ) Just put in "KZ forearm review" in the search box at the top of the page and it will bring it right up (pictures start on page 3) I've often thought about getting another KZ to try out some other light mounting options I've had in mind. Are you going to be mounting a light?

So I just read your forearm review and it is pretty detailed. At the time I ordered the KZ, I wasnt even aware that there was even another option for the M4. I am going to have to Google "Surefire" to see what it looks like, unless you have more pics. Sounds like I could of made a bad choice. But the KZ IMO is really cool. Now I have to order the extention.

Flashlight yes.... I have an AR15 with a 4 rail handguard, I already have many attachments such as a VLTOR quick release flashlight attachment w/Surefire flashlight, also VLTOR vertical grip attached as well. It looks very cool with these attachments. I still need to purchace the rail covers as it is uncomfortable to handle.

As far as compliance....No you don't need to write to the ATF about anything. Several of us (including me) did write them for clarification of the law as it relates to the M4. Again I don't want to send another post to limbo by posting a link so I'll just suggest putting "ATF letter response" in the search box to find the thread started by MeanGreen that will show you the responses we received and some healthy debate on the subject.

Sounds like I need to keep all documents as proof locked up in my safe just to cover my butt. This "KZ" rail says "Made in USA". Probably will print Web Page as well. I havent read your ATF letter responce yet, but will do so. Is there anything else I should be aware of?? I still plan on buying the CC Tube. Did you have a hard time getting your old tube off?? Approximately how long did you have to apply heat before you actually were able to turn the old tube off?? I want to be able to interchange the 5 and 7 rd tubes so I will be able to use this gun for deer hunting. We cant hunt with 7 rds. I am not going to use locktite to reinstall. I hope this thing shoots slugs....LOL

As I recall, I waited about 8 weeks on my CC tube......Totally worth the wait!!!!

Later,

Thanks again for your detailed responces. I know I am getting good advice from a guy thats been there. What state do you live in?? Are you a big gun collector??

Hey Zeke,

For a few pics of my Surefire setup enter " Surefire M80 forearm review " in the search box to find my review with pics and the search " previously promised pics " will show you a pic with the CC tube in place.

The Surefire isn't necessarily better than the KZ depending what you want to do with your M4s configuration. Play around and see what you think before you move on. There is also the Brugger and Thomet forearm (similar to the KZ although it is Swiss made so it isn't a compliance part)

I don't recall exactly how long I applied heat to get my old tube out but IIRC it was about 15 to 20 minutes, then it turned a little, then it turned into a heat and turn, heat and turn process until it finally gave way. All the residue of the factory threadlock stayed on the threads of the old tube so not much cleanup of the receiver threads was needed. I didn't use any kind of lock-tite for the re-assembly and haven't had any loosening issues.

I live in Monterey, CA and Yes, I have a firearm or two :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Edited by Hookster

I'm new here too! I just bought a M4 yesterday, but the site won't let me post. Let's see if this post makes it through. Strange the site lets me post a reply, but not a new post.

Anyway, here's a pic of my new pride and joy:

SEhQFl.jpg

Edited by jaggedx