M4 vs FNH SLP?

Leo77

This is my first post, I own a Supernova and I just bought a FN SLP.

I would like to get the thoughts and comments from owners of both the M4 and the SLP?

I will probably be buying a M4 in the future.

Any owners of both the M4 and the SLP please let me know your thoughts, comparisons of both weapons, etc?

(Not considering the price)

Thanks Much

Edited by Leo77

I've always like the SLP.

I really wish it had a barrel guide at the end of its barrel like the M4 does. Maybe it's nonsense, but I have to think that if the gun fell on the ground or was used as a battering implement, the mag tube would bend causing shell capacity or feeding issues. Same goes for the Mossberg 930. Even other Benelli guns.

Seems to me that purpose-built, military shotguns have this anatomy and the others are "tacticalized" civilian designs.

Thanks for the replies.

Would you guys say the FN SLP is as reliable as the M4.

One issue I have with the SLP is the 2 gas pistons, one for light loads and one for heavy magnum loads, the M4 will cycle everything with out having to change out pistons.

Like I previously mentioned I will most likely be purchasing a M4 at a later date.

Anymore feedback would be appreciated.

The #1 biggest item is reliability. I've shot side by side with a friend with an SLP for the past 2 years while initially I shot a 930SPX. The SLP has been very reliable, almost perfect while I wore out my 930. I just bought an M4 Tactical last week and we went out to shoot a Tactical Shotgun course, 400 rounds. Now both of our guns were near perfect. I like the self cleaning ARGO piston system better and the locking bolt on the M4 seems like a good idea although I haven't seen an accuracy advantage between the two. The takedown of the M4 is right out of the SOCOM requirements which is definately the fastest and easiest out there. Both come with rails and quality ghost ring sights. A FN Police SLP runs around $1025, while a standard M4 would have run me $1325 so for $300 more there are a few features that come with the higher price. Overall both are great guns and I wouldn't hesitate 1 second on getting an FN.

Thanks "Quickdraw".

Unfortunately I spent more for my SLP, no dealers near me had one, I bought it on a whim and I would have had to order the weapon which I should have done in the first place.

The gun shop I bought it from is overpriced, if I do end up getting the M4 I will buy it from my regular gun shop where I purchased most of my other firearms.

Edited by Leo77

I own both guns. I'd say the SLP is at a slight disadvantage with the 2 gas pistons. I've heard some leave the light load piston in with all loads but I'd be concerned with accelerated wear. I have a field stock on the M4 so the stocks are equal. The M4 has a one shell advantage when it's 922r compliant. Accessories are more available for M4. Function wise I'd say they are very close to the same in control situations (at range with know good quality high power ammo). I guess when you add up all the small stuff M4 wins out. In a grab one gun and run situation I'd reach for the M4 if only for the fact it will function on just about anything. Still the SLP is fun to pound with at the range after a bad day at work and great for around the house work.

JB

• 8 years later...

Old thread, but I'm a new Benelli M4 H20 owner. I'm satisfied with my purchase of the M4 for home defense and range.

I'm not law enforcement or military and decided that it is the better option due to FNH SLP's interchangeable gas pistons, among other reasons, for my use. The Benelli M4 is a simpler design in this respect.

I was tempted to get the longer barrel FNH offering for versatility.