M2 or Cordoba?

Zig

My next Benelli purchase is going to be a trap gun and possibly a future bird hunting gun.

Is it really worth the extra $400-500 for the Cordoba? Does the porting and the external choke really add that much value?

I really like the Cordoba and the M2 feels nice as well, but I'd like some input from people who may have had experience with both.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Zig:

My next Benelli purchase is going to be a trap gun and possibly a future bird hunting gun.

Is it really worth the extra $400-500 for the Cordoba? Does the porting and the external choke really add that much value?

I really like the Cordoba and the M2 feels nice as well, but I'd like some input from people who may have had experience with both.

Thanks!

I have an M2 Field that has been used for a lot of clay sports including trap, 5 stand and sporting clays. I had averaged about 3 flats a month of target loads through it with no problems.

It has also been very good for the bird hunting as well. The take so far for 2 seasons that I have owned it:

14 Pheasant, 2 ducks, 3 Canada Geese, and 2 chuckars.

Mike :D

The porting in the cordoba reduces recoil slightly as well as gives you better follow up shots after a miss or for a second-third bird by allowing you to get back on target faster. (less muzzle flip)

The external tubes are nice for Trap as well if you shoot 16's then onto a handicap of say 25+ but you can buy externals for an M 2 as well

I did have the Cordoba (sold it) my brother had the M2. We both prefer the SBE 1 or 2. I just had my SBE 2 ported for $80.00 it does help keep the barrel down for a second or third shot. The short answer in my opnion the best thing about the Cordoba is the $80.00 worth of porting. You do the math.

[ 05-15-2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: BLACK JACK ]

The Cordoba handles 2 3/4 loads really well. I've shot 8 or 10 cases of cheap wal-mart shells with no problems. I haven't had the chance to hunt with it though. My father-in-law has an M2. It's really nice too...lighter and quicker, but I like my Cordoba better for skeet/sporting clays. It swings smooth.

I bought a M-2, 24" barrel and liked it so much I went back and bought a Cordoba 30". Of course, the Cordoba, with the 6" longer barrel swings much smoother and the porting does help with follow up shots. The extended choke tubes are really nice while shooting Sporting Clays. Also, the fore end is much longer and thinner than the M-2, which helps when you have to "choke up" on those pesky rabbits. The 10 mm rib is also nice.

One problem though..... I had to send off the Cordoba trigger to get the travel reduced somewhat. On some shots, since the gun is so light, I could see that I was moving/torqing the gun before the gun would fire. It seemed odd that I don't have any trouble at all with the M-2, but did with the Cordoba. Go figure.

In retrospect, I should have just bought a 28" barrel for my M-2.

I don't guess it matters if I shoot a camo gun at the range along with all those expensive O/U's. Sorta puts the pressure on them.

When you do buy.........

Save a few hundred and buy the M2. You will be happy. I wasted money on the Cordoba and posted about it here. The ports may look "cool" but they do not reduce recoil, they simply make the thing Louder. Extended chokes tubes are not a big deal. You can buy factory or aftermarket for any shotgun made today.

Mine had trouble cycling even 2 3/4 1 1/8 loads.

Overall after buying ,and using the Cordoba I consider the press surrounding it to be pure hype and the shotgun overpriced BS.

IMO- The M2 does everything better

You asked about the SBE II. Mine is flawless with 3.5 and 3" shells. It will cycle 1 1/8 shells just fine. It will Not cycle 1oz or 7/8 loads. The 1oz and 7/8 are what I prfer for SC and FITASC. Many clubs in Tournaments adhere to the 1oz rule. However... The SBEII is not designed to be a target shotgun.

If you are looking for a do-all shotgun I would suggest the M2.

With trap and other gun games in mind, I would actually suggest a gas semi-auto.

[ 05-27-2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Choclabman ]