Help needed: How to install MESA TACTICAL PUSH BOTTON SLING SWIVEL for BENELLI M4?

Domingolp76

I bought the Mesa Tactical push botton sling swivel for my Benelli M4 (It's tactical stock and pistol grip) but I don't know How to mount this item correctly.

I would like to know How to remove the grip's spin and the tools needed.

Do I have to drill the grip?.

Has anyone tried to install this item in the M4?, I would thank some photo or guide (step by step) for the installation.

Thanks in advance.

The swivel is for the M1014, not the M4. That is why it doesnt seemt to fit (was told this by Mesa at the time.)

To install on the M4, yes- my inlaw, the process engineer, drill pressed the metal insert of the handle and the handle to widen it to the M1014 size.

Its been working like a charm 2+ years with no issues.

Edited by barometric

I've installed a few. It's a PITA.

Knock out the roll pin in the pistol grip. Then pull out the metal block and tensioner that are inside the stock. I found it easiest to drill the block out in a vice. I don't recall what size drill bit I used, I gauged it by the diameter of the hardware sent by Mesa. You will also need to drill out the pistol grip stock's plastic with that same size bit. Test fit the hardware through the holes, and through the metal block.

Reassemble the block into the stock, and position the tensioner the way it came. Install the hardware. Do a test fit to be sure thhe fasteners meet and thread into each other. Once reassembled, I had to run the drill through the assembly to get it all to linne up. Once it all fits, reassemble it with a bit of blue locktite on the threads.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.

The thing is that I bought previously the GG&G REAR LOOPED SLING ATTACHMENT (P/N: GGG-1460), but after installing It what was my surprise when I wasn’t able of folding the stock in the shortest position,…… Is this normal or I installed it in wrong way (I don’t think so, because I installed and removed It several times and always with the same result)?.

Anyway, having both attachments which one between GG&G and Mesa Tactical, do you recommend me (supposing that GG&G allow me fold the stock)?.

Thanks again.

I have installed several of them.

The Mesa part must be modified to be installed on the M4.

As a general rule.....ALWAYS modify the least expensive part or the part that is most readily replaceable.

In this case, do NOT modify your buttstock pin aperture; rather, reduce the external diameter of the 2-part "screw" from Mesa that replaces the OEM roll pin.

You can chuck the 2 part screw in a drill press / lathe and use a file to reduce the diameter; go slow and trial fit the parts.

See attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1389[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1387[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1388[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The swivel is for the M1014, not the M4. That is why it doesnt seemt to fit (was told this by Mesa at the time.)

To install on the M4, yes- my inlaw, the process engineer, drill pressed the metal insert of the handle and the handle to widen it to the M1014 size.

Its been working like a charm 2+ years with no issues.

I thought every part except the recoil tube were identical between the M1014 and M4??

Hey there Dom.. Just wondering if you had any success on your Mesa Tactitical sling .. Im a Police Officer in Metro Detroit area and am wondering how to go about this..I dont have a press readily available. Any help would be greatly appreciated ... Thank u for your time, or any others in this matter. I really want to use this Sling swivel... Thanks buddy, Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kris,

First of all, sorry for answering you so late. I’m a Police Officer too, I’m not sure if you’re asking me about the installation or in relation with the tactical use of Mesa attachment.

In our Unit, we followed step by step the instructions that very kindly given me by ‘benelliwerkes’. Related to that particular, you must pay special attention at the moment of filing down the “two parts spare” in order to not reduce too much the diameter, but in case of this happens, you can use a special blue locktite for guns.

We prefer to file (file-check….., as many times as you need) the spare to prevent any kind of irreversible damage in the pistol grip (and also in the receiver of the shotgun cause of the drilling of the weapon), take special care with this.

As I mentioned before, following the instructions (and watching the photos) you won't have any kind of problem.

For the rest, our experience with mesa push button it’s being very positive, the only ‘negative’ aspect it’s been that some shooter’s informed of a little upset when he’s shooting due to the gun recoil, the swivel hits his thumb,….nothing dramatic using tactical gloves.

By other side, we use our shotguns in both configurations, with one or two points slings, that’s a personal preference of the operator. Personally, I prefer to use the one point sling (I've recently acquired Magpul MS3) because the gun falls down vertically and keeps its position in front the chest.

I hope this helps you Kris.

Regards Dom.

Edited by Domingolp76