ATF Change in 922r Compliance

Stevejg16

This is a copy of an e-mail I received from the ATF this morning.

Is this the "same" list, or are there added parts?

-------

-------

Federal law 922® states in part, it shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or (2) the assembly of any such rifle or

shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

Federal regulations at 478.39 states (a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph © of this section if the assembled

firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes. (b) The provisions of this section shall

not apply to: (1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department,

agency, or political subdivision thereof; or (2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of § 478.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm. © For purposes of this section, the

term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings,

forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

Therefore, to be in compliant with the federal laws and regulations ou may assemble your firearm with no more than 10 imported parts listed above.

Edited by Stevejg16

I don't know, looks the same to me from what I've been hearing all along. Keep in mind not all of the parts listed above are present on the M4 in stock configuration. Just parts 1,2,6,7,9-12,14,15,17,18 and 19 for a total of 13 parts. The standard pistol grip stock counts as one part, but if you have the OEM c-stock the pistol grip adds one more part for a grand total of 14 parts. You would therefore only need to replace 3-4 parts depending on your stock to be compliant. I am also told the two gas pistons only count as one part.

PS. I got this information from the FAQ at carriercomp's website

Edited by frigatecon

The following is from FFT site: http://freedomfightertactical.com/922r-faq/

1. Receiver
  2. Barrel
  3. Bolt
  4. Bolt carrier
  5. Gas piston
  6. Trigger housing
  7. Trigger
  8. Hammer
  9. Disconnector
  10. Buttstock (with integral pistol grip)
  11. Forearm/handguard (forend)
  12. Magazine body
  13. Follower

Your post:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings,

forgings or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

That's why I was confused (newbie). Now I realize that the list on FFT only has the 13 parts relevant to the Benelli M4.

The list I received from the ATF is the all inclusive parts list.

And yes, this topic has been beaten to a pulp but, it's still confusing. I couldn't get a straight answer from the ATF regarding the Surefire M80 Forend. There are vendors that have a "Made in the USA" flag on this product and yet Surefire sent me an email stating that they are not compliant to "Made in the USA" they are "American Act" compliant. Because the rubber rail covers are made elsewhere.

So, would this add an extra part to the list? It's still confusing.

That's why I was confused (newbie). Now I realize that the list on FFT only has the 13 parts relevant to the Benelli M4.

The list I received from the ATF is the all inclusive parts list.

And yes, this topic has been beaten to a pulp but, it's still confusing. I couldn't get a straight answer from the ATF regarding the Surefire M80 Forend. There are vendors that have a "Made in the USA" flag on this product and yet Surefire sent me an email stating that they are not compliant to "Made in the USA" they are "American Act" compliant. Because the rubber rail covers are made elsewhere.

So, would this add an extra part to the list? It's still confusing.

Wouldn't it be nice if the criminals actually had to worry about this sort of stuff?