Just ordered an M4 H2O

Pudmullet

After reading other threads, I'm considering switching to the standard M4. I do like the solid black, the standard is more available, less expensive, and there appears to be coating quality issues on the H2O. The black is a non corrosive coating. I don't plan on going swimming in the ocean with it.

For me, the H2O is less expensive and as far as the coating, let's not start making stuff up to support our argument to go with the standard black version.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing made up. Read the posts with pictures. I have an H2O on order and paid for. Don't need excuses.

Are you referring to this one thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/28629-Picked-Up-an-M4-H2O?p=163577

I don't see an issue with the finish. If you want to debate Benelli's machining and finishing of parts, by all means, have at it. But I don't see anything definitive in that thread about the quality or lack thereof of Robar's NP3 coating process.

My only issue is that I have ordered an M4 H2O and I haven't received it yet.

Yeah but actually it is just one post, I haven't seen another example of the NP3 finish being described as messed up or spotty. My guess is that if the finish is screwed up, it is covered under the warantee of the gun and will be redone at Benelli's expense. What you get with the H2O far exceeds the cost of the weapon compared with the standard stock M4. You get all of the benefits of the M4 with the tactical stock and the factory full sized tube.

You know all of this already, but the NP3 really is just icing on the cake. ****, if the coating is jacked up, the folks who do the NP3 coating now have a new coat that provides all the same protection of the matte grey finish but in black...you could have yourself a factory produced and specially coated unique H2O...but thems is just dreams.

Yeah but actually it is just one post, I haven't seen another example of the NP3 finish being described as messed up or spotty. My guess is that if the finish is screwed up, it is covered under the warantee of the gun and will be redone at Benelli's expense. What you get with the H2O far exceeds the cost of the weapon compared with the standard stock M4. You get all of the benefits of the M4 with the tactical stock and the factory full sized tube.

You know all of this already, but the NP3 really is just icing on the cake. ****, if the coating is jacked up, the folks who do the NP3 coating now have a new coat that provides all the same protection of the matte grey finish but in black...you could have yourself a factory produced and specially coated unique H2O...but thems is just dreams.

Yea...your right......I'll wait on the H2O.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried for a few weeks to get an order placed that had a shipment date of less than 6 months and struck out everywhere. I also had an issue with paying for the H20 in full and then waiting 6+ months. According to all the Benelli dealers i spoke with, the H2O was supposed to be a limited quanity but they decided to make more based upon customer demand. Thus the longer shipment dates and wait times. So with all of this in mind, I went to GunBroker.com knowing I would most likley pay over MSRP as I wanted the gun now versus in 6 months. I ended up getting a brand new H20 still in the box for $2600.00. I had it in my possession 3 days later! I see no issues with the finish or anything else for that matter. I plan on taking the gun to the range in the next couple days. Good luck!

I tried for a few weeks to get an order placed that had a shipment date of less than 6 months and struck out everywhere. I also had an issue with paying for the H20 in full and then waiting 6+ months. According to all the Benelli dealers i spoke with, the H2O was supposed to be a limited quanity but they decided to make more based upon customer demand. Thus the longer shipment dates and wait times. So with all of this in mind, I went to GunBroker.com knowing I would most likley pay over MSRP as I wanted the gun now versus in 6 months. I ended up getting a brand new H20 still in the box for $2600.00. I had it in my possession 3 days later! I see no issues with the finish or anything else for that matter. I plan on taking the gun to the range in the next couple days. Good luck!

That's good to hear about the finish. I'm thinking the one with the finish issues is isolated and should go back to Benelli. They would likely replace the gun instead of trying to re-finish it...??? Probably take forever though.

I guess I'm going to wait for mine. It's paid for, under MSRP, and I'm really not in a hurry.

• 3 weeks later...
As time has past, there seems to be more NP3 issues. Hopefully it's early production issues that will be corrected....worth the wait I guess...:confused:

Why are you so wishy-washy about the gun you purchased? You can't have buyers remorse before even owning the gun. The guys who have complained about finish issues have yet to give field performance tests, so I give them zero credibility and turn a blind-eye to their comments. One of those two naysayers even went so far as to buy a second H2O despite his reservations on the first one.

You did your homework and bought the weapon that met what you wanted out of a shotgun, don't let anyone here dissuade you from getting what you want...none of their expertise matters. I've noticed alot of sour grapes and jaw jacking about this gun, no actual proof of a problem.

It's a combat configuration M4 with a shiny coat and an awesome resale value....digg it and stand firm next to your purchase.

Why are you so wishy-washy about the gun you purchased? You can't have buyers remorse before even owning the gun. The guys who have complained about finish issues have yet to give field performance tests, so I give them zero credibility and turn a blind-eye to their comments. One of those two naysayers even went so far as to buy a second H2O despite his reservations on the first one.

You did your homework and bought the weapon that met what you wanted out of a shotgun, don't let anyone here dissuade you from getting what you want...none of their expertise matters. I've noticed alot of sour grapes and jaw jacking about this gun, no actual proof of a problem.

It's a combat configuration M4 with a shiny coat and an awesome resale value....digg it and stand firm next to your purchase.

Not wishy-washy at all. It's bought and paid for. I'm not really concerned and willing to wait. Just saying that if there are any issues, that hopefully Benelli would make adjustments in the final production process through their sub contractor. Maybe there are no issues. I'll find out when I get it......no worries. :)

I'm sure any tolerance issue with the coating, if there are any, would quickly resolve itself from the first 100 round break-in.

That's my thought too. Benelli Italy does the anodizing and factors it in to tolerances, the NP3 may be a bit thicker but designed to wear without generating friction....so like you I believe any stuck or sticking parts will be properly worn down in the 100-150 high brass break-in.

It's still too lucrative to sell these than own and test them, but if I get my hands on the one I ordered fast enough my break-in will be up on youtube fast as lightning. This is too cool a gun to not give a firsthand review of.

Me too, as soon as I get mine and can get to the range, I plan to run it in along with the help of a few other M4 owners who will surely give it a go to see how it compares to their standard M4s.

I have zero concerns about Robar's NP3 coating.

That reminds me, I need to order more 12 ga. ammo.

Me too, as soon as I get mine and can get to the range, I plan to run it in along with the help of a few other M4 owners who will surely give it a go to see how it compares to their standard M4s.

I have zero concerns about Robar's NP3 coating.

That reminds me, I need to order more 12 ga. ammo.

Not trying to change the subject, but....what ammo should I stock up with? Range break in, target, and home defense. This is my first shot gun other than a couple hand-me-down 20 ga. and I have allot the learn... looking forward to it. I want to be ready when it gets here. Then I'll start looking at lights, slings, etc.......thanks!

Not trying to change the subject, but....what ammo should I stock up with? Range break in, target, and home defense. This is my first shot gun other than a couple hand-me-down 20 ga. and I have allot the learn... looking forward to it. I want to be ready when it gets here. Then I'll start looking at lights, slings, etc.......thanks!

While I understand the concept of break in, my personal experience is that mine functioned perfectly with full power buck shot and slugs from the start. So I don't personally see the point of buying cheap trap loads etc to break it in. In regard to target and home defense I still think full power OO buck and slugs is the way to go. It's what this shotgun was built to shoot. As to brands, I'd buy 25 rds of buck and slug from three or four makers and see what patterns best for you and then stock up on that.

Edited by BigHat

While I understand the concept of break in, my personal experience is that mine functioned perfectly with full power buck shot and slugs from the start. So I don't personally see the point of buying cheap trap loads etc to break it in. In regard to target and home defense I still think full power OO buck and slugs is the way to go. It's what this shotgun was built to shoot. As to brands, I'd buying 25 rds of buck and slug from three or four makers and see what patterns best for you and then stock up on that.

+1

I have had the same "load" pattern VERY differently (9 pellet 00 full-power buck) depending on who makes it. Ranging from pure crap, to very awesome. Everyone uses a slightly different buffer, shot hardness, cup/buffer system. See what YOUR GUN likes.

I can tell you from experience with multiple M4S90's, though, that 000 buck through a MOD or looser choke patterns wicket tight. Out to about 50 yards, in a SHTF situation, you can count on at least one pellet making it into the boiler-room on a front-facing adversary. (Note, SHTF does not mean "normal self-defense". It means there's a zombie out there and you need lead on target--NOW!)

I disagree on break-in, though. Not for function, necessarily, but because I refuse to trust a firearm until it has spat a MINIMUM of 500 rounds down-range without a single non-user induced failure. Me personally? I would rather use the cheapest crap I can find for that, and if it stomachs weak crappy birdshot without fail, it's G2G with buckshot most likely. I put a few hundred rounds of slug/buck through it just to make sure, though, but by and large, I feel warm and fuzzy when combat shotguns feed and cycle 2.75 dram target loads reliably.

Edited by Unobtanium

The break in isn't to test the weapons ability to handle lighter loads, it's to work the internals....the springs. Where did either of you get that he wanted to use cheap shot to break in his weapon? He was asking for types of ammunition for the break in process and for post break-in.

I've bought 150 rounds of Federal's 2 3/4" mag shock 5 shot and another 50 3" magnum rounds. I for one was not aware that magnum came in 2 3/4" so that was nice to find so when I go full capacity on the magazine it's with the powerful round I was looking for.

I have shot an M4 with Fiocchi OO Buck (both light load and regular) so I have stocked up on it and it comes well regarded by two other M4 owners I know. I also have been buying some other OO Buck from other makers to try and I also plan to try some of the more exotic HD rounds along with some regular loads just to see how well it handles them.

The break in isn't to test the weapons ability to handle lighter loads, it's to work the internals....the springs. Where did either of you get that he wanted to use cheap shot to break in his weapon? He was asking for types of ammunition for the break in process and for post break-in.

I've bought 150 rounds of Federal's 2 3/4" mag shock 5 shot and another 50 3" magnum rounds. I for one was not aware that magnum came in 2 3/4" so that was nice to find so when I go full capacity on the magazine it's with the powerful round I was looking for.

I guess we're all victims of what we read here over time. IF someone asks for info on break in ammo as opposed to ammo to use, it's typically a question about the best fodder to pump through it. Still think sharing that lubing it up very well and just using good buck or slug rounds he'll use later isn't a bad approach for the initial rounds through the gun. While I admit to feeling better about any weapon after shooting a few hundred rounds w/o issue, most of my new acquistions work well from the start and that includes tight custom 1911s.

I guess we're all victims of what we read here over time. IF someone asks for info on break in ammo as opposed to ammo to use, it's typically a question about the best fodder to pump through it. Still think sharing that lubing it up very well and just using good buck or slug rounds he'll use later isn't a bad approach for the initial rounds through the gun. While I admit to feeling better about any weapon after shooting a few hundred rounds w/o issue, most of my new acquistions work well from the start and that includes tight custom 1911s.

I'm thinking I might go from light to heavy for the first 500 to 600 rounds. I figure I'm going to have time to come up with a plan and will continue to read a learn from you guys. Thanks for the help!

I also have a 1911, new in the box, never fired. I need to play with that one too....amoung others. :rolleyes:

Many types of ammo used in my Benelli M4 Super 90. Have found Federal 2 3/4 low recoil LE 00 buckshot has great pattern and accurate at 30 feet. The nice thing is you can shoot it all day without shoulder fatigue. Makes your day at the range much more enjoyable and still would ruin a bad guy's day for sure !