Red Dot Sight For An M1

scattergun

I have a 1993 Benelli M1 Super90 Defense (with Surefire weaponlight) that has always worked flawlessly for me. I would like to mount a red dot sight for better aiming at night, but I am concerned about how that will affect reliability.

I know that I need to keep it lightweight to avoid reliability problems, so I am considering either an Aimpoint Micro T-1 or Trijicon RMR. If weight wasn't an issue I would go with an Eotech XPS-3. The Burris Speedbead mounts closer to my eye than I would like.

Eotech XPS-3 : 227 grams

Aimpoint Micro T-1: 105 grams

Trijicon RMR: 34 grams

1 round of Winchester Supreme 2-3/4", 12 pellets 00 buck: 55 grams

My receiver is not drilled and tapped. Can anyone offer advice on mounting a small lightweight rail?

Does anyone have experience with the Aimpoint Micro T-1 or the Trijicon RMR on an M1 or any other shotgun?

Are there any other red dot sights that I should consider for an M1?

Thanks for your help.

Funny you should ask. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a rail section to install on my M1 receiver. I have a RMR waiting to go on it. I have one rail section from another manufacturer but it's just a tad high. The lower rail should put the dot right where I need it and still have a good cheek-weld on the stock. We'll see how it works out. For me, the T-1 would be too high and I would have to raise my head off the stock too much. The Burris mount puts their sight in the right place vertically for me but like you, I would prefer a more forward placement. Plus, I prefer the dual illumination RMR's. No batteries.

Edited by truckcop

Funny you should ask. I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a rail section to install on my M1 receiver. I have a RMR waiting to go on it. I have one rail section from another manufacturer but it's just a tad high. The lower rail should put the dot right where I need it and still have a good cheek-weld on the stock. We'll see how it works out. For me, the T-1 would be too high and I would have to raise my head off the stock too much. The Burris mount puts their sight in the right place vertically for me but like you, I would prefer a more forward placement. Plus, I prefer the dual illumination RMR's. No batteries.

Interesting. What rail are you using for your RMR? Was your M1 already drilled and tapped (mine is not)? If not, is there anything I should know when I have that done?

I was thinking about the adjustable LED, but I am just starting to investigate. I wonder how well the dual illumination RMR would work in the following scenario: Completely dark area except for the target being illuminated by my weaponlight. Would the tritium be bright enough that the weaponlight doesn't wash it out? I like the idea of no batteries.

I would be very interested to know if the added weight of your rail and RMR causes any reliabity issues. The RMR is so light that it seems unlikely, but you never know until you test.

I've got a short YHM rail (designed for free-float forends) coming. I have a Mesa Tactical rail designed for the M2 Tactical which already has the receiver drilled/tapped, but as I mentioned, it's a little higher than I would like. My older M1 isn't tapped. The primary concern I have is the receiver is designed for rifle sights and has a groove along the length of the top which takes away almost half of the material that you would tap into. It appears thicker near the rear and that's where I'm looking at tapping. I don't think there's enough material to adequately tap closer to the front of the receiver. It's still a work in progress and I haven't ultimately decided on how I'm going to proceed.

The RMR tritium would probably be lost under the scenario you put forth. I have one on a rifle with a light and that's what I've found. It depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's home defense you're talking about, if I'm close enough to light up a BG with the light in a completely dark room, I'm probably close enough to light him up with a shot without finding the dot, if necessary. I'm planning on using this particular shotgun for 3-gun so that's not really an issue.

I've got other old M1's and they've got various devices hanging on them, i.e., side saddle, light. Function of those guns has never been an issue. I don't think just adding a RMR will have much of an effect on your gun's operation.

Thanks for the help. I think that the RMR is the way to go because of the low height and low weight.

I will have to find someone to drill and tap, that is not something that I would try on my M1. Salient Arms is very near where I live but I don't know if they would be interested in this. If they are, then I am set to go.

Decided to chance it and go ahead and drill/tap the M1 receiver for the rail section.

I had the Mesa Tactical rail that was designed for the M2 Tactical which is already d/t'd but could be installed on a M1 as well. After putting in on temporarily with the sight mounted, I found it to be just a tad too high so I went with a section of rail from YHM.

M1-RMR12.jpg

M1-RMR10.jpg

Edited by truckcop

Final mount with RMR installed. The rear of the receiver had plenty of material to tap into. The front, quite a bit less due to the configuration of the interior and exterior. There's only enough material to get a couple of threads to tap so I played it safe and used red loctite plus a bead of JB Weld underneath the rail section. I doubt it will come off short of smacking it with a sledge hammer.

M1-RMR01.jpg

M1-RMR02.jpg

Final pics

M1-RMR05.jpg

M1-RMR03.jpg

And yes, I've blacked over the fiber optic portion of the sight. I've got RMR's mounted on other guns and found that in full sunlight the dot is just too bright. The judicious use of a permanent black Sharpy tones it down quite a bit. It's still opaque enough to pick up bright sunlight and doesn't lower it too much if it's cloudy.

Edited by truckcop

Thats a really nice RMR you got there. Ive got an RMR ACOG combo on my AR and I really like the RMR and was also considering getting one for my M4.

My only concern is that with it being so small, it might be a little difficult to pic up the red dot since the window is small on it. This really isn't an issue on my AR because the optic sits farther back on the rail and closer o my eyes. On a shot gun I would think with the RMR being farther forward that might a bit of an issue.

Any input how ease of acquiring that dot ?

It's no more difficult than picking up the red dot on an Aimpoint T1 or similar optic. It's mounted low enough that when I mount the shotgun in my regular cheek weld position, the dot's right there on target. Ideally, I'd mount it out on the barrel. But the RMR dot gets bigger as you move it farther from your eye and doesn't allow as much precision for shooting slugs on farther targets.

Final pics

M1-RMR05.jpg

M1-RMR03.jpg

And yes, I've blacked over the fiber optic portion of the sight. I've got RMR's mounted on other guns and found that in full sunlight the dot is just too bright. The judicious use of a permanent black Sharpy tones it down quite a bit. It's still opaque enough to pick up bright sunlight and doesn't lower it too much if it's cloudy.

Does the front facing lens surface get any carbon deposits from the ejection port?

• 9 months later...