R1 ammo

bluesti

• 1 month later...

I have a .300 win mag (24") and .30-06 (20") barrels for my R1. I like to shoot Hornady Interbond 165 gr. for both, hunting hogs, deer, and bear. Although, I have to admit, I feel like I'm lucky as both calibers for me are not finicky with ammo. I can shoot core-lokts, Hornady's, and especially shoot the Federal Fusions well for both too. It seems to not like any cheap Eastern Block ammo (Wolf, Bear, or Privi Partizan) and doesn't especially like Winchester XP3's or the Federal blue box jacketed soft points. For no-lead zones, I shoot Federal Premium with Barnes TSX in 165 gr. just fine. My default hunting ammo is the Hornady or the Fusions, and the Barnes for no-lead, all 165 gr. I have not found a 180 gr. bullet that shoots as well as the 165 gr. in both barrels.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 on the .300 and a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on the -06. Both scopes are excellent and the Nikon cost half as much as the Zeiss.

As for barrel break in, I did not break in either barrel. Just shot at the range until I ran out of ammo. :-) The .300 was bought used, but the -06 was new. Shot it like I stole it.