new M4; any problem if I lengthen the forcing cone?

dharmabum

I just got mine out of the box and cleaned it up. I also have a Benelli SS.

I sold my Russian Saiga 12 and wanted a HD replacement and talked to a couple of guys just back from the sandbox. They bragged on the M4, so I went that route.

I've had a gunsmith lengthen the forcing cones on my Browning Citori and my Supersport (both 12 gauges) and was curious if anyone had done this with the M4? If so, any hassles encountered?

PS: I'm new to the forum and apreciate all the helpful posts I see on here. Keep up the good work.

Modifying the forcing cone, by polishing and extending the length of the barrel "cone" it allows a more gentle constriction of the shot pellets to be shaped into their pattern, usually something like a 5 degree angle of constriction immediately in front of the chamber to a 2-3 degree angle of constriction (over the longer length); the result is generally a more consistent shot pattern and some claim a measurable reduction in felt recoil as well. AimPro Tactical specializes in performing this service on Mossberg 590's.

Modifying the forcing cone, by polishing and extending the length of the barrel "cone" it allows a more gentle constriction of the shot pellets to be shaped into their pattern, usually something like a 5 degree angle of constriction immediately in front of the chamber to a 2-3 degree angle of constriction (over the longer length); the result is generally a more consistent shot pattern and some claim a measurable reduction in felt recoil as well. AimPro Tactical specializes in performing this service on Mossberg 590's.

How do ya do that to a barrel with a chrome bore??

I could have sworn the inquiry was "WHY" not "HOW".

As for how you do it in a chrome lined barrel, it's the same method, you just have to be prepared to pay extra to have your barrel re-chromed ($50-$250), get it Cryo stress relieved, or just use a honing stone and polish the forcing cone segment that was relieved to a mirror finish. The chrome lining is more corrosion resistant and a little easier to clean, but otherwise there is nothing sacred about chrome surface per se that will alter performance.