Having to lift elevator manually for H2O to cycle

CSwanson

Just tried out my new black M4 and H2O M4. Black one worked great. I had to keep using my fingers though to lift the elevator on the H2O model. Just slight pressure applied to the bottom of the elevator would make it go all the way up and chamber the next round. I did this consistently through about 30 rounds of winchester green military 00 buck. I'm thinking the new H2O coating is thicker and is causing too much friction and the head of the round is 'binding' trying move up into the chamber. I need to look at it some more but that's what it appeared to be when looking at it at the range.

• 3 weeks later...

I have reservations over the coating. I don't want to be labeled a "hater", because I don't have an H20, though. That being said...

How does it perform on the ejection-port where shells nick it when ejecting (do they? They certainly nick 70RC anodized 7075...)

What is gained? The M4S90's receiver is aluminum, and it's not like it's any great task to keep a light coat of CLP on the barrel and buffer tube inside/out.

For the price, it's a great deal, but I rather question how the finish will look/perform (as a barrier) in 2 years of even square-range use. I would much prefer that they made it available without the finish, but understand why they cannot.

Per my discussion with Benelli reps, the NP3 coating process is part of the manufacturing that allows the M4 to pass 922r.

The one H2O I have handled (without ammo) seemed pretty smooth; the charging handle did stick back one time on it, as I was manually cycling the action. My impression was the H20 needs a bit of a break-in period. The one additional thing I did check for was if the handguards had the same slip and squeak that the FFT handguards have. I did notice a bit of slip, but no squeak.

I have reservations over the coating. I don't want to be labeled a "hater", because I don't have an H20, though. That being said...

How does it perform on the ejection-port where shells nick it when ejecting (do they? They certainly nick 70RC anodized 7075...)

What is gained? The M4S90's receiver is aluminum, and it's not like it's any great task to keep a light coat of CLP on the barrel and buffer tube inside/out.

For the price, it's a great deal, but I rather question how the finish will look/perform (as a barrier) in 2 years of even square-range use. I would much prefer that they made it available without the finish, but understand why they cannot.

The gain, from this buyer's perspective, is the worry free maintenance. It's already a clean running shotgun by shotgun standards, now with this coat it's uber clean and requires no additional help to maintain. When I bought it I wanted the reliability of the M4 platform but I didn't want a S90 with neutered stock and magazine...so this product was a real winner in my book. And I know the silver coat is off-putting to some, but I like how it looks in this configuration.

It's the knowledge that with this coat and the clean operation of the weapon I can fire and forget. The only thing I have to worry about are individual parts wearing out or breaking....I don't even have to be concerned about moisture, which the black anodizing protects against too but not to the same degree.

If the world ends tomorrow, this gun is going to see me through a loooonnnggg life of worry-free use.