Rounds falling to the "on deck" position after pulling the trigger

Sharkey

When I picked up my M4, I could load the mag with the hammer cocked only. Once the mag was loaded, I could not simply charge the gun as the bolt would ride back and forth without chambering a round until after I pulled the trigger on the empty chamber. At first, the rounds would not drop from the mag into the lower assembly unless I pulled the bolt back to chamber one.

I worked some disassembly drills today as I do with all weapons before firing a new one and have noticed that now, once I load the mag and then pull the trigger with the chamber empty, a round automatically falls into the lower assembly in the "on deck" position.

Is this the proper working for this gun?

I like to leave it with rounds in the mag for my wife when I am away and this just seems unusual to me that a round would sit in that lower assembly like that. I have not been to the range with it yet and am just hoping that I have not missed something during assembly.

I am not new to handling weapons however, this being my first experience with the M4, I am just checking operation facts prior to proceeding to the range.

Thanks

Sharkey

have you read how to load it to 7+1+1 ?

moving

Yes I have. I did a considerable amount of research on it prior to buying. The round placed below the bolt and then another in the chamber - referred to as "floating" a round.

The NEW aspect to me was the round would move there all by itself when you pull the trigger on the empty chamber.

I had a modified Rem 1100 that I had changed the furniture on back 25 years ago that looks almost exactly like the M4 with the barrel cut down, the black pistol grip, fixed shoulder stock and fore end (even had it parkerized) and an extension on it which (mechanically) acts differently than the M4. Since most of my experience was with my 1100 (as far as shotguns are concerned) the new action of the M4 just made me curious so I inquired to be certain.

I bought the M4 so I knew I would have a gun that would last me another 25 years or so, that I could count on, and all of those little details of being able to "float" a round were taken into consideration.

Thank you

Perform a Google search on TM 10698A-10/1, download the manual and start reading on page 52 (Operating Principle) and as benelliwerkes stated purchase his M4 Manual. For sure every M4 owner should have a copy of Anatomy Series Benelli M4 Manual in their library.

The "Cross Bolt Safety Button" is what is confusing you between your 1100 and the M4.

Very good sir Thank you.

While we're in here and rather than starting another thread, any idea what the lightest recoil round would be the M4 can effectively cycle? As I stated earlier, my wife will be using this as a back up home protection gun when I am away and she is small so I am hoping to find something lighter than buck shot to leave it set up with for her.

Not concerned about myself but would like something a little more user friendly to increase her comfort level with it.

My old Rem 1100, perhaps due to use and having been reworked so many times cannot cycle anything less than buck anymore and I'm hoping the M4 can handle some lighter loads.

Thank you for your time gentlemen. It's appreciated.

Sharkey