Geissele Automatics Benelli M4 hammer in stock at Brownells

montana_jeepn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you admit there IS some sort of card game going on; the question is: exactly what kind of card game are you guys playing that I have stumbled into?

So what is the subtext here, why all the hatred for sharing information? Some of you seem to have a very weird personal vested interest, is it some sort of Cabal I am unaware of? Or could it just be the fear of being stuck with no alternative to the FFT hammer ?

There is no "game" going on. You did, however unwittingly stumble into something. I know who you are (in general terms), Thomas, and I know that you're not affiliated with FFT, or Carrier Comp. However, a lot of people on here are either in an FFT or a Carrier Comp camp, so to speak.

While Kip and Todd have spoken in the past and maintain a talking relationship, many of their fans are not so cordial. You see, SOCOMguy came to market first with a "un-neutered" magazine tube for the M1014/M4S90 shotgun. It held 7 rounds and was machined impeccably.

Then in around 2008, I believe, Kip entered the scene. Kip does a lot of things--one of them being the making of parts for the M1014/M4 shotgun. He is a former marine and liked the platform a lot, and wanted to improve it. He introduced titanium to the mix, giving us a full-length tube at roughly half the weight of the steel tube. Everyone was suspicious of his grandiose claims, but he came through and they sold like hot-cakes.

Therein lies the rub. Some people took great affront to the back-order status that his products sometimes (in the case of the tubes, often-times) maintain.

Kip sells a lot of stuff, but only has a finite amount of manpower and time. This means that his lead-times are as stated, 3-5 weeks, and I have seen them take longer (his low man-power also is why his tubes cost $50 or so less than FFT's offerings. It also allows more personal/tighter QC/QA.). However, even his critics have found his products to be beyond reproach. This means that they remain back-ordered for the most part.

Enter FFT:

They saw that Kip was onto a good thing, and opted to produce VERY SIMILAR products, as well as completely unique products (their handguards, FCG group, etc.). They have teamed with Mesa Tactical for their handguards and "someone else" who I have not bothered to ferret out for their FCG. Their first products were the Ti mag-tube, and the bolt-handle, as I understand it. The FFT mag-tube being the "bread and butter". It costs $50 more than Kip's, but you can get it...RIGHT NOW. I cannot speak for or against its workmanship as I have not bought one.

People saw this and the Kip fans took affront to it, calling it a knock-off, idea-theft, etc.

Anyway, that is what started this whole schism between CC and FFT. Like I said, though, Kip and Todd remain cordial to each other, and Kip has even described Todd to me in positive terms. However, a fan-base can be a dangerous thing when it gets riled, especially to reputations.

I personally remain a fan of Kip and his work. I have sampled products from FFT before (bolt handle) and prefer Kip's. I feel that Kip does more R&D before releasing a product. He pays more attention to detail, in my experience. Kip was all set to release his full Ti bolt handle, for example, when he then decided to make it a hybrid and change the tang to A2 steel to prevent marring and peening of the tang and the cut-outs on the end that interface with the spring/ball retainer. He made a test-run of all Ti bolt-handles, saw that this was indeed a problem--if maybe only cosmetic--and rectified it.

FFT placed their product on the market ASAP, and dealt with first issues on the cammo M4's with the paint/bolt, and second with my issue, the peening I mentioned that I documented on my FFT knob a year or so ago. They revised the product AFTER release, while Kip seems to do his very best to revise it BEFORE release. The one exception being his magazine springs. Early versions would only accept 6 rounds of SOME types of shot-shells. The Flite Control rounds, in particular. These became popular, in all fairness, after his first springs were released. He subsequently spoke with Wolff and had this rectified some years back and it has not been an issue.

Anyway, back to the hammer that sparked all of this...

Many people began dabbling with "that 1 part" that seemed missing from the M4 to make it 922r compliant in certain configurations. We had people on here planning pistons, sears, etc.

Kip spoke with Geissele and they produced the hammer, as you know. Then, some time later, FFT now has a complete FCG group. Noone to my knowledge has EVER had a problem with the Geissele hammer, however, a few people have REPORTED problems with the FFT version. Now, keep in mind, these are two fan-bases that are already a bit edgy toward each other.

Here you come into the fray, and a lot of people here do not know that you have been weighing in on things, meticulously researching them, posting on various forums, etc. since the early 2000's, regarding your firearm and watch collections. (Welcome to the Benelli world, BTW!) and they start all sorts of rumors (BM4Robbins saying you "tipped your hand", etc. and others). Some people have even opined that you are a shill affiliated with CC or FFT (both, actually, at different points in time). This is of course bad for both FFT and CC, as neither of them indulge in shill accounts, etc. of which I am aware, and indeed to remain cordial with each other outside of business. It's also not factual in the least, as you almost couldn't geographically be farther from both of them at the same time.

Anyway, I hope this has helped clear this seeming hostility up for you, and maybe some other readers as well. If that was too much for you to read:

FFT and Carriercomp are direct competitors the owners of which maintain a talking relationship. Their respective fan-bases are not always so cordial. Any swipe at either one will probably be met with suspicion from that camp, often, directed toward the other camp.

The important thing to remember here, is that we are lucky to even HAVE vendors that cater to such a "niche" firearm, and no-matter what camp you prefer, I encourage you buy their goods and be thankful that Big Brother hasn't tried harder to make your decision a lot simpler...

Does this make the mud clearer?

*I have no stock options in Carrier Comp or Freedom Fighter Tactical. I buy what I want, and my preferences dictate my spending. However, I hate to see rumors about anyone who is making quality parts for one of my favorite firearms.

Edited by Unobtanium

Unobtanium.

Thanks for clearing that up, the info should be a "sticky" in front of any sort of product review for the muck that rains down afterward. And you are right, I am not affiliated in any way with anyone; I just saw an opportunity to ask a question; and I got a straight answer, and got a lot of flack for sharing it.

7174431260_0fa7361845.jpg

There is no "game" going on. You did, however unwittingly stumble into something. I know who you are (in general terms), Thomas, and I know that you're not affiliated with FFT, or Carrier Comp. However, a lot of people on here are either in an FFT or a Carrier Comp camp, so to speak.

While Kip and Todd have spoken in the past and maintain a talking relationship, many of their fans are not so cordial. You see, SOCOMguy came to market first with a "un-neutered" magazine tube for the M1014/M4S90 shotgun. It held 7 rounds and was machined impeccably.

Then in around 2008, I believe, Kip entered the scene. Kip does a lot of things--one of them being the making of parts for the M1014/M4 shotgun. He is a former marine and liked the platform a lot, and wanted to improve it. He introduced titanium to the mix, giving us a full-length tube at roughly half the weight of the steel tube. Everyone was suspicious of his grandiose claims, but he came through and they sold like hot-cakes.

Therein lies the rub. Some people took great affront to the back-order status that his products sometimes (in the case of the tubes, often-times) maintain.

Kip sells a lot of stuff, but only has a finite amount of manpower and time. This means that his lead-times are as stated, 3-5 weeks, and I have seen them take longer (his low man-power also is why his tubes cost $50 or so less than FFT's offerings. It also allows more personal/tighter QC/QA.). However, even his critics have found his products to be beyond reproach. This means that they remain back-ordered for the most part.

Enter FFT:

They saw that Kip was onto a good thing, and opted to produce VERY SIMILAR products, as well as completely unique products (their handguards, FCG group, etc.). They have teamed with Mesa Tactical for their handguards and "someone else" who I have not bothered to ferret out for their FCG. Their first products were the Ti mag-tube, and the bolt-handle, as I understand it. The FFT mag-tube being the "bread and butter". It costs $50 more than Kip's, but you can get it...RIGHT NOW. I cannot speak for or against its workmanship as I have not bought one.

People saw this and the Kip fans took affront to it, calling it a knock-off, idea-theft, etc.

Anyway, that is what started this whole schism between CC and FFT. Like I said, though, Kip and Todd remain cordial to each other, and Kip has even described Todd to me in positive terms. However, a fan-base can be a dangerous thing when it gets riled, especially to reputations.

I personally remain a fan of Kip and his work. I have sampled products from FFT before (bolt handle) and prefer Kip's. I feel that Kip does more R&D before releasing a product. He pays more attention to detail, in my experience. Kip was all set to release his full Ti bolt handle, for example, when he then decided to make it a hybrid and change the tang to A2 steel to prevent marring and peening of the tang and the cut-outs on the end that interface with the spring/ball retainer. He made a test-run of all Ti bolt-handles, saw that this was indeed a problem--if maybe only cosmetic--and rectified it.

FFT placed their product on the market ASAP, and dealt with first issues on the cammo M4's with the paint/bolt, and second with my issue, the peening I mentioned that I documented on my FFT knob a year or so ago. They revised the product AFTER release, while Kip seems to do his very best to revise it BEFORE release. The one exception being his magazine springs. Early versions would only accept 6 rounds of SOME types of shot-shells. The Flite Control rounds, in particular. These became popular, in all fairness, after his first springs were released. He subsequently spoke with Wolff and had this rectified some years back and it has not been an issue.

Many people began dabbling with "that 1 part" that seemed missing from the M4 to make it 922r compliant in certain configurations. We had people on here planning pistons, sears, etc.

Kip spoke with Geissele and they produced the hammer, as you know. Then, some time later, FFT now has a complete FCG group. Noone to my knowledge has EVER had a problem with the Geissele hammer, however, a few people have REPORTED problems with the FFT version. Now, keep in mind, these are two fan-bases that are already a bit edgy toward each other.

Here you come into the fray, and a lot of people here do not know that you have been weighing in on things, meticulously researching them, posting on various forums, etc. since the early 2000's, regarding your firearm and watch collections. (Welcome to the Benelli world, BTW!) and they start all sorts of rumors (BM4Robbins saying you "tipped your hand", etc. and others). Some people have even opined that you are a shill affiliated with CC or FFT (both, actually, at different points in time). This is of course bad for both FFT and CC, as neither of them indulge in shill accounts, etc. of which I am aware, and indeed to remain cordial with each other outside of business. It's also not factual in the least, as you almost couldn't geographically be farther from both of them at the same time.

Anyway, I hope this has helped clear this seeming hostility up for you, and maybe some other readers as well. If that was too much for you to read:

FFT and Carriercomp are direct competitors the owners of which maintain a talking relationship. Their respective fan-bases are not always so cordial. Any swipe at either one will probably be met with suspicion from that camp, often, directed toward the other camp.

The important thing to remember here, is that we are lucky to even HAVE vendors that cater to such a "niche" firearm, and no-matter what camp you prefer, I encourage you buy their goods and be thankful that Big Brother hasn't tried harder to make your decision a lot simpler...

*I have no stock options in Carrier Comp or Freedom Fighter Tactical. I buy what I want, and my preferences dictate my spending. However, I hate to see rumors about anyone who is making quality parts for one of my favorite firearms.

... I am not affiliated in any way with anyone7174431260_0fa7361845.jpg

In order to be in position to take this picture, you had to be affiliated with someone, unless it is pirated from a differnt tktm. Last I heard, Shot Show attendance requires affiliations:confused:

Edited by BM4robbins

Enter FFT:

Uno, thanks for stepping into the fray and posting this. Some of "us" need to take a lesson.:mad: Myself included.:o

Uno, thanks for stepping into the fray and posting this. Some of "us" need to take a lesson.:mad: Myself included.:o

Ditto. Thanks Uno.

It is always hard to put two and two together with contrary information from mystery sources. Left me with more questions than answers. In January I asked a Geissele rep about the Benelli hammer and was told Benelli didn't make an M4. Laughed HARD! Moments like that can often explain how TKTM might have been misinformed. Been there. "Left hand speaking for the right hand" happens. It's all clear now.