14" Benelli SBS Accuracy

rickp1

Another quick question. What's the standard accuracy for a 14" shotgun with rifled slugs??

Thanks

R.

This varies from weapon to weapon, but I would expect fist-sized groups at 50 yards with a slug that it likes. If anything, it will be more accurate than the 18.5" version.

A shotgun actually begins the recoil phase before the slug leaves the barrel. This means that "follow-through" is important, even with slugs. The shorter the barrel, the less important it is, and since you are "human", the better for you.

This varies from weapon to weapon, but I would expect fist-sized groups at 50 yards with a slug that it likes. If anything, it will be more accurate than the 18.5" version.

A shotgun actually begins the recoil phase before the slug leaves the barrel. This means that "follow-through" is important, even with slugs. The shorter the barrel, the less important it is, and since you are "human", the better for you.

I did not know that about the shotgun. Meaning it starts the recoil process before the slug is out.

Being that the slug is rifled and not the barrel how stable is a slug on a 14" system? Does the slug get pushed down the barrel faster than it can establish a good spin? I just cant see the slug getting a good bite on a smooth bore if you know what i mean.

R.

I did not know that about the shotgun. Meaning it starts the recoil process before the slug is out.

Being that the slug is rifled and not the barrel how stable is a slug on a 14" system? Does the slug get pushed down the barrel faster than it can establish a good spin? I just cant see the slug getting a good bite on a smooth bore if you know what i mean.

R.

Foster slugs are not spin, but weight stabilized. Due to the large bore volume, the 14'' SBS doesn't shed much velocity vs. the longer barrels.

Foster slugs are not spin, but weight stabilized. Due to the large bore volume, the 14'' SBS doesn't shed much velocity vs. the longer barrels.

Sorry, i should ahve clarified. I use Federal rifled tactical slugs.

I would try a variety of slugs and see what works best unless you're talking about an agency gun, limited in what you can use. There's really no general "standard of accuracy" for a slug out of a specified-length shotgun barrel. If you're limited to Federal Tactical Slugs, then their accuracy out of your gun is what you get, period.

Another quick question. What's the standard accuracy for a 14" shotgun with rifled slugs??

Thanks

R.

There is no accuracy standard, its all you. Thats like asking whats the standard time for a 30 year old male that weighs 160 lbs to run a mile, all speculation or opinions are suitable answers for a vague question.

This is a Foster type slug, and it will not spin, or if it does, it is irrelevant. No slug that you will fire from your shotgun is going to spin for stability. It uses a weight-forward design like a shuttlecock.

The slug will not "bite" the bore, nor does it need to. It should seal with the bore and fly down it, and that's it. It's physical design regarding weight distribution stabilizes it.

The 'fins" are there to be mushed into the "valleys" as it passes through even a Full choke, so that the weapon is not harmed. Not for aerodynamic purposes.

Edited by Unobtanium

This is a Foster type slug, and it will not spin, or if it does, it is irrelevant. No slug that you will fire from your shotgun is going to spin for stability. It uses a weight-forward design like a shuttlecock.

The slug will not "bite" the bore, nor does it need to. It should seal with the bore and fly down it, and that's it. It's physical design regarding weight distribution stabilizes it.

The 'fins" are there to be mushed into the "valleys" as it passes through even a Full choke, so that the weapon is not harmed. Not for aerodynamic purposes.

I just learned some stuff there thanks!

There is no accuracy standard, its all you. Thats like asking whats the standard time for a 30 year old male that weighs 160 lbs to run a mile, all speculation or opinions are suitable answers for a vague question.

No that's not true at all. Sniper rifles have accuracy standards so why would it be completely out of the question to think shotguns and some of its ammo are that much differenet. Granted most shoot much better than that, but there's a standard or baseline so to speak.

Same can be said about about shooters, meaning the if one is shooting 1 moa with said rifle that's said to be the standard.

No that's not true at all. Sniper rifles have accuracy standards so why would it be completely out of the question to think shotguns and some of its ammo are that much differenet. Granted most shoot much better than that, but there's a standard or baseline so to speak.

Same can be said about about shooters, meaning the if one is shooting 1 moa with said rifle that's said to be the standard.

You're viewing this somewhat myopically.

Some rifles carry a 1MOA guarantee, some a 0.25MOA guarantee, and some none at all. The M1014/M4S90, and NFA variants do not carry a guarantee, and there is no "standard", just rough guidelines, which several of us have already weighed in on.

So then does the rifling on the slug do anythin to force a spin on the slug to help it stabilize?

You're viewing this somewhat myopically.

Some rifles carry a 1MOA guarantee, some a 0.25MOA guarantee, and some none at all. The M1014/M4S90, and NFA variants do not carry a guarantee, and there is no "standard", just rough guidelines, which several of us have already weighed in on.

And that's what I'm looking for more or less, a guide line. Like what TruckCop mentioned above 3" at 50. I got a lot of tactical training with assault rifles, pistols and sniper systems, and they all have a standard so to speak.

A good weapon with a good shooter can show how accurate a system is. On ****** ssytems the best shooters in the world just can't be accurate with it. The system wont allow it.

Edited by rickp1

And that's what I'm looking for more or less, a guide line. Like what TruckCop mentioned above 3" at 50. I got a lot of tactical training with assault rilfes, pistols and sniper systems, but not a lot with shotgun. Just something I haven't trainend with a lot. Hence the question.

2-4" at 50 yards is what the weapon should be capable of with ammo that it likes.

Another question for you guys. As far as accuracy what's the main difference between a Slug with Trueball and one with none.

R.

I tried Federal DPRS in my M1014 and it was pure crap. Same story in my friend's 590a1. We went from fist-sized groups at 40 yards to dinner-plate size groups.

Here are two 3-shot groups at 25 yards that I fired for you today, rickp1

54yn9t.jpg

Interesting!!!

Have you tried Brenneke slugs?? I heard they were great, but now the company is putting out some crap. Not sure why.

R.

I have, and got 4-5" groups without a bench at 40 yards. This using the Special Forces slug. The Remingtons were doing SLIGHTLY better. However, without a bench, I cannot definitely say. The groups I posted above measure about 1" CTC once projectile diameter is subtracted from the group. Not bad for one of them being shot right after sighting in, and the other after 20 more rounds of buckshot.