Is 3 1/2" loads really necessary for ducks & geese up here in Canada? - steel only...

FISH-ON

Hi guys, need some opinions on the matter. I'm looking at possibly trading in my SBEII 12gau over to a 20gau. M2, and I'd be using it for turkey, small game and some water fowl, the reason for this I find i'm able to shoulder the smaller 20 alot easier over the 12. I'm 5'7 160lbs...from what i've read it seems some of the die-hard waterfowlers sware by 3 1/2" loads especially for geese of which i'd love to try this fall...any opinions would be appreciated

There are thousands of birds killed every year with 20 ga., 2-3/4" 12 ga., and 3" 12 ga. loads.

No, 3-1/2" is not necessary. All it does is put more shot in the pattern, and sometimes that can make a difference.

Edited by tucker301

Here's the thing, I like shooting a 20ga here and there but it doesn't have enough pop for me when it comes to killing big ducks let alone geese.. you do not want to be under-gunned when pulling up on a flock of committed Honkers. Trust me on that one, I see it happen to my buddy all the time..

No, the pellet count will be less in a 3" 20 gauge shell than it will be in 12 gauge load.

Don't believe that is accurate: if you have 1 1/8 of #2 steel the shot count will be around 141 (125 per oz). Therefore for any gauge the shot count for steel 1 1/8 of #2's will be 141. The difference is the energy each of the gauges will generate.

Scroll down to the chart on birdshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

Edited by crofton

Don't believe that is accurate: if you have 1 1/8 of #2 steel the shot count will be around 141 (125 per oz). Therefore for any gauge the shot count for steel 1 1/8 of #2's will be 141. The difference is the energy each of the gauges will generate.

Scroll down to the chart on birdshot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell

You were right. Same cup size equals same number of pellets.

When I'm hunting geese though, especially Honkers, I only run 3 1/2's. Either #2's or BB with a Patternmaster Choke because I don't want to risk crippling one of these birds..

Edited by duckht183