How to install the CC Picatinny Rail?

stealle

I was wondering if any of you guys know exactly how many inch pounds Benelli recommends for tightening the screws on the M4 picatinny rail. Perhaps some think it is unnecessary to use a torque screwdriver. For one, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Second, I love tools!:D

Also, I'd take a recommendation on a good torque screwdriver. Amazon dot com has a number of brands (Wheeler, Weever, Wiha, Neiko, etc.) at fairly reasonable prices. $50-$100 As much as I love tools, I can't see spending more than a $100 for this tool unless someone can convince me otherwise.

The Wiha vario-torque is a good choice for installing gun grip screws and other gentle applications such as the Benelli rail; with multiple tips available, it is compatible with the Magna-Tip system.

Installing the rail screws:

1. Remember the receiver is aluminum; it is easy to strip the threads with a steel screw, so make sure they are not cross-threaded; be gentle.

2. Use a dab of Blue Loctite on the screws, you only have ~ 2.5 mm of thread engagement available in the receiver.

3. Torque the screws to 8.5 INCH-pounds.

4. Use a proper size screw driver tip to avoid marring the screw slots.

CIMG6708.jpg

Edited by benelliwerkes

Thanks benelliwerkes! Looks like you made your post at the same time I discovered this post from Kip. Seems the proper amount of tourque is a mystery. However, if you have success with 8.5 in/lbs then I don't see why they would need to be any tighter.:confused:

Done deal....

picinstallphotobucket.jpg

I would only add that if there is a disadvantage to the Magna-tip system, it is that there is always a few hundredths of "wiggle" between the inserted tip and the handle being used; when there is no room for wiggle room error, I like the fixed blade system or fabricate a hollow ground screwdriver to fit as needed.

CIMG6700.jpg

@benelliwerkes - according to the Brownells video I watched, the magna-tip system is 3/8". It appears your Wiha has a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter attached. Is that correct? Did it come with that adapter? It does not show that adapter on the amazon description. BTW, your pics give me a case of tool envy!

@strangerdanger - did you get the brownells/magna-tip torque wrench/screwdriver with your set? Looks like it only cost $70 when you buy it with that massive set. Either way, nice Father's Day gift!!!

A torque wrench is -+25% torque sensitivity. I wonder if screwdrivers are better? An experienced machinist manages -+30-35%.

What does that mean? Are you talking about actual accuracy? If your torque wrench is +- 25% you better throw it in the trash can. Typical accuracy 3 to 5 percent of indicated value.

I think you may have misunderstood the page you quoted. Or you have not explained to me what it is you are implying.

Torque wrenches are typically accurate at about 3 to 5 percent of indicated value. Again if your torque wrench is 25%, throw it in the trash can. Goto ANY torque mfg website and have a look at the specs.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=640960&group_ID=675227&store=&dir=catalog

This is a QD series (pretty average) and is accurate to 4% clockwise and 6% counter clockwise.

I think you may have misunderstood the page you quoted. Or you have not explained to me what it is you are implying.

Torque wrenches are typically accurate at about 3 to 5 percent of indicated value. Again if your torque wrench is 25%, throw it in the trash can. Goto ANY torque mfg website and have a look at the specs.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=640960&group_ID=675227&store=&dir=catalog

This is a QD series (pretty average) and is accurate to 4% clockwise and 6% counter clockwise.

Maybe I do not understand it. I thought 25% was a bit much, but it said it, and I went and verified it at the source. I normally don't use tq values, though, and do not profess to be a professional mechanic of mechanical things.

Maybe I do not understand it. I thought 25% was a bit much, but it said it, and I went and verified it at the source. I normally don't use tq values, though, and do not profess to be a professional mechanic of mechanical things.

No biggie. That page is confusing.

These are the adapters I have for the Wiha, which is the 7.5-20 in/lb; the specifications are +/- 6 % accuracy. This is what I use for light applications e.g.grip screws for aluminum alloy Sig frames, custom 1911 grip screws etc......it seems everyone is always stripping their frame threads !

For heavier applications like scope mounting etc, I use the Weaver torque screwdriver or the digital 1/4" drive Snap-On.

model.Screenshot2012-06-03at105013AM.png

Screenshot2012-06-03at105048AM.png