Benelli M4 Chokes

Renault

There was a thread a while back where someone was talking about a brand of chokes that they liked in particular, and I can't remember the brand for the life of me. I think it was said they were hard to get in the U.S. I think maybe they're from overseas (Europe maybe?) or something like that. My main question is, what were they called? (I think I liked the chokes because they came in a kit or something, although I could probably just get any chokes and make a nice house for em.)

secondly, what other chokes would you suggest that may be easier to find? I currently am using a trulock modified choke, which still seems way better than the stock choke. And how well does the blackbore HD choke perform? (I'd like a review from someone who's not a seller, not that I don't trust the sellers on this forum... just sometimes it's nice getting other consumers opinions.)

I'm unfamiliar with the meaning of that phrase half-dozen one or the other. Does that mean that it doesn't really matter one way or the other?

Pretty much. Each shotgun/choke is different. Just experiment until you find the combo that works for you. There is no "magic" choke tube that will be superior to all the rest in performance, although Teague has probably the best workmanship.

The "six of one, half dozen of another" expression is apt because the same recipe of choke, shotgun and ammo often yields differing results. That said, I do like the Blackbores you ask about above. www.blackborechokes.com

I'm no expert and have done only basic assessments, but the MR version patterns well for me. Most of the choke discussions are about sporting applications.

I had a personal email on an M4 choke discussion awhile back but the thread is too old to provide you with the link.

Edited by BigHat

Well, I don't do sport shooting or hunting... and I don't plan on using my shotgun for HD anytime soon. So I guess what I've been doing is slowly adding upgrades to my M4 as I get the money. First I put on the full length tube, second I got a MOD choke from trulock, and then I got a urbino stock (from what people have said I'm not sure if this really is an upgrade, although the length feels better for my short arms). I plan to slowly just upgrade my M4 so I feel that it's working to the best of it's ability without adding more weight. Eventually i'll change out the top rail, charging handle, and release button.

I guess in the end I just want my M4 to be better than stock for my own enjoyment purposes.

Well, I don't do sport shooting or hunting... and I don't plan on using my shotgun for HD anytime soon. So I guess what I've been doing is slowly adding upgrades to my M4 as I get the money. First I put on the full length tube, second I got a MOD choke from trulock, and then I got a urbino stock (from what people have said I'm not sure if this really is an upgrade, although the length feels better for my short arms). I plan to slowly just upgrade my M4 so I feel that it's working to the best of it's ability without adding more weight. Eventually i'll change out the top rail, charging handle, and release button.

I guess in the end I just want my M4 to be better than stock for my own enjoyment purposes.

You need to define those purposes, because if not, then the MOD choke you have now is just fine. If you want something better for slugs, buckshot, whatever, the answers are all going to lead in different directions.