Pitting on M4 Benelli Bolt Head, Should I ask for a replacement Bolt head from Benell

ptalar

I purchased my M4 Benelli Shotgun new from Bud's Gun Shop in September of 2011. I finally got around to firing the shotgun for the first time a week ago, 200 rounds or so. When I went to clean the shotgun I noticed pitting on the bolt head. See pictures attached. Is this normal? Shoud I put in a repair request to Benelli for a replacement bolthead? Please advise forum experts.

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03531.jpg

Edited by ptalar

The bolt heads on my M2T and M2 Field look about the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but... I believe the bolts are forged and that particular surface is "as forged", so it's not as finished looking as the rest of the bolt. See some of the surfaces on the bolt carrier? If they were plated, they'd look about the same as the cams.

Cheers,

C

I have had a few that look like that also.

I wouldn't worry.

edit: in fact, my H2O's bolt lugs look like that where the coating has worn away. I also

checked a camo version and it looks just likes yours. Happy blasting.

Edited by 12508

OK, how in the world could you have bought in September and just last week finally: (a) bothered even to look at it closely; (b) shoot it?

Ten months...that's a heck of a lot of self-control.

;)

I am a gun collector. I only get around to shooting my guns once in a while to make sure they work. The warranty is 5 years on the Benelli. I have self control if you want to call it that. I am busy at work. I live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. I have a number of new acquistions I have only recently shot. I am backed up, so to say.

Any thoughts on the bolt head? I don't think it is right. It should have the same clean chrome plating as the bolt head face.

I think I will pursue Benelli.

I am a gun collector. I only get around to shooting my guns once in a while to make sure they work. The warranty is 5 years on the Benelli. I have self control if you want to call it that. I am busy at work. I live in the People's Republic of Kalifornia. I have a number of new acquistions I have only recently shot. I am backed up, so to say.

Any thoughts on the bolt head? I don't think it is right. It should have the same clean chrome plating as the bolt head face.

I think I will pursue Benelli.

See Below:

The bolt heads on my M2T and M2 Field look about the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but... I believe the bolts are forged and that particular surface is "as forged", so it's not as finished looking as the rest of the bolt. See some of the surfaces on the bolt carrier? If they were plated, they'd look about the same as the cams.

Cheers,

C

I have had a few that look like that also.

I wouldn't worry.

edit: in fact, my H2O's bolt lugs look like that where the coating has worn away. I also

checked a camo version and it looks just likes yours. Happy blasting.

normal, mine has the same thing

100% normal. Obviously it was there from the beginning as the chrome-plating covers it.

I sent Benelli the pictures and they said all is good. Normal as the board corraborated. It is the unmachined forging surface. Thanks to all on the forum who provided input. Benelli response is below:

"This was from my head gunsmith…

>Nothing to worry about, the bolt heads are machined from a forging that is the shape of the bolt head. Because of this the outer edges of >the bolt area are actually not machined, they are shaped by the forging process. The forging process often ends up leaving the edges >looking like that and it was that way when he bought it and most people do not notice it. The gun will function fine and just some oil in >that area is all that is needed.

So looks like you are good to go..if the gun starts to function incorrectly let us know!

Dan "