Adding a rail to a factory M4 handguard

Roddy

I would like to add a light to my M4 but I don't want to use a forend covered with abrasive rails that costs a fortune.

Has anyone drilled holes in the factory forend and mounted a rail on like that? Do you have any pictures? I guess you would need a long rail or shim to deal with the taper on the front. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Nicely done Stockplayer! Hey Roddy, I recalled an old thread (2006) that showed what you are asking about and the forum member d had done some work to shape a recess in the stock for the short rail section to fit....unfortunately the pics in the thread have since been deleted but maybe you could PM him and get the pics...Anyway, here's the thread:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/8955-52-forend-rail-with-light-mount?highlight=m4%20light

it sure would be nice if FFT put out one of their factory style handguards with a rail section as an option

Later,

Hookster :)

For those with just a modicum of fabricating talent, here are some additional ideas for Direct mounting to the polymer item.

The various length linear polymer rails are easy to attach, however in my opinion, the unused rail portion interferes with a natural grip for the operator.

The offset rail is sufficient to mount a light and lacks the disability of interfering with the grip of the operator.

Using "T" nuts to secure the Torx plus fasteners have a number of advantages over the alternative of a combination of washers / nuts on the inside of the forend.

Screenshot2012-07-16at85625PM.png

Screenshot2012-07-16at85612PM.png

That looks great Benelliwerkes! I really like the setup with the Gear Sector offset rail. How are the ergonomics with that setup? It looks like less obstruction for your hand with that arrangement. Do you have a pic with that one installed on the M4?

Hookster :D

That looks great Benelliwerkes! I really like the setup with the Gear Sector offset rail. How are the ergonomics with that setup? It looks like less obstruction for your hand with that arrangement. Do you have a pic with that one installed on the M4?

Hookster :D

The ergonomics with the offset are good, not great; better than the linear rail but not as nice as a dedicated substituted forend rail. The dissatisfaction of the ergonomics for me is my left thumb has to be lifted off the grip because the rail is in the way, causing my thumb to be pointing lateral to the axis of sight, rather than along the axis of sight in a more natural shooting grip; furthermore, the forward groove depression molded into the stock grip, is where most operators thumbs would most likely naturally be placed (probably why they put it there !); adding any rail demands it is located further rearward than optimal ergonomics for hand placement which in turn forces the back of the light to be closer than I like, meaning UNnaturally flexing the thumb into position (rather than extending the thumb) to activate the light switch. Just my thoughts.

The changing radii of the forward grip makes mounting the linear rails farther forward impossible and still have it look nice (there would be a big gap under the rail unless some shady tree shim was fabricated to obliterate it). The Gear Sector however, already has the attachment base in a nearly identical radius as the mounting point on the forend, which allows for it to be placed pretty far forward.

I only posted these to maybe give those considering such an undertaking, some additional ideas before picking up the drill.

These are just some prototypes I was screwing around with to see how they might work; If I get around to taking the "real" rails off my M4's I'll take some photos.

How hard could it be for Benelli to offer a single molded rail like the offset deal ? As an optional left hand guard substitute ?

Thanks for your reply Benelliwerkes! I'm wanting to go "back to basics" with my M4 with a very lightweight setup that would still include a tactical light. I ordered the FFT factory style forend so I can lose my Surefire M80 and get the better ergonomics and weight savings of factory grips while remaining 922r compliant. The optimal light mounting solution remains the eternal sticking point with this weapon but you've definitely given me some ideas to chew on.

Thanks Again,

Hookster :)

This handguard mounting might work well with one of those newer offset Thorn Tail Mounts. That would push the light further forward ahead of the handguard.

Perfect example of how to suit owner's requirements. I would be reluctant to buy a hanguard with focused or worse, extraneous mounting real estate. Modding the factory hanguard with adapters like the Thorn Tail epitomizes optimization.

Thanks for the idea!!:)