Has anyone experienced the 'Benelli click' with their M4?

Sukhoi_fan

I'm wondering if any forum member has any personal experience or has first hand knowledge of someone having experienced the 'Benelli click', i.e. where the bolt is not fully into battery on a round, trigger is pulled, hammer drops, but due to the bolt being out of battery the primer is not struck and therefore one ends up with the hammer down on a loaded chamber with the M4.

Anyone?

Never...Did you have this happen?

No, but I was talking with a reputable gunsmith (with lots of experience working on Benellis for 3 gun competition) this afternoon who mentioned that it can happen to Benellis, although relatively rare. I also recall that there's been some discussion on this forum of this sort of thing happening with Benelli shotguns, but I couldn't find anything in a search of the forum. However I don't think it was referred to in that (those) discussion(s) as 'the Benelli click'. This fellow said that factors causing this could be anything that interferes with the action, e.g. inadequate lube in the recoil spring area or along the rails, type of ammo, dirty, etc.

I was just wondering with the vast pool of aggregated experience on this forum if anyone else was familiar with this (like I said, I know I read something on this forum in the past couple of years about someone experiencing something like this).

Sounds like more of an inertia system malady...

Never experienced it with M1, M2 or SBE. I suppose it could happen, given enough dirt, etc etc... but even after being submerged in muddy water and sand, I've never had an inertia gun not go into battery.

C

The Benelli trigger system is a poor design in some aspects. The disconnector setup allows you to pull the trigger and release the trigger with the bolt still about 1/2" or so out of battery.

I get that much, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what led to your own M4 ending up with a 'hammer down on a live round' condition. (I take it that is what happened to you personally, hammer down on a live round due to the bolt being out of battery?)

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I get that much, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what led to your own M4 ending up with a 'hammer down on a live round' condition. (I take it that is what happened to you personally, hammer down on a live round due to the bolt being out of battery?)

Yes, me personally. It occurred during rapid-fire. UN-aimed magazine dump "for fun". I just outran the gun. It has happened maybe 3 times over the 4 M4 shotguns I have owned over the years, but the first time it happened, it was weird. I thought something was broken, or that I had not allowed the trigger to re-set. I then had it happen again, and before doing anything else, let completely go of the trigger, checked that it had a chance to reset, thought about things, checked the chamber, etc. Definitely benelli click, as it were. The first time I had just gotten the gun back into action and wondered about it later.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I have, but on an M1 not an M4. I had purchased a used H&K M1 and it did that same click you described. What I found was the recoil spring plunger sticking because someone had removed the recoil spring tube and slightly oblonged the end of the tube making the plunger stop right at the end of the tube. I squeezed it back into proper shape and it was fixed. Same shotgun had a new firing pin in it that was sticking in the bolt. I thought that was the problem at first but I smoothed it out with some croacus cloth and it was ok. Now I have a nice shooting 9 shot H&K M1.:)