Benelli M4 11721 Can it be made 922r compliant?

Panama

I know this model is LEO / Military sales only, but let's say "hypothetically" one came up for sale from a LEO or Military personel.

What can a civilian do to make it legal to own, according to 922r, within reason. I know a person can just go spend 2400 bucks and get an H2o, or a civilian 11707 model and then spend ANOTHER 750 bucks on a stock and extended tube, but within reason, can a model 11721 ever be made 922r compliant?

I want it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1576[/ATTACH]

If it was owned by a LE agency or officer for duty use then it doesn't need to have any parts changed. It has already complied with 922r and can be sold as surplus by the officer/agency without changing any parts. Happens all the time.

Now I am confused.

I can not buy this 11721 because it is 922r NON compliant, but an LEO / Military / Agency can because they are exempt from 922r, so how does it become 922r compliant, when the LEO / Military / Agency sells it to me?

Same gun, same parts, except "I" am not exempt, from being 922r compliant.

What am I missing?

What is 922R?

Title 18 of the US Code (18 USC), Chapter 44 Section 922 provides guidance on unlawful acts as they relate to firearms. You can read the text of the law by clicking here.

Section 922 Paragraph R states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Most of us don't fall under those exceptions, so we are left to deal with meeting compliance with the law.

Edited by Panama

Most of us don't fall under those exceptions, so we are left to deal with meeting compliance with the law.

Wrap your head around this:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation

The deal is that mere possession does not constitute being in violation of this statute, ONLY "assembl(y) from imported parts".

One, if clearly a surplus gun sold off by a gov.org agency then it was not "prohibited from importation" in the first place. Two, if one has acquired a gun which was previously legally assembled (to its current configuration as a hi-cap mag shotty w/ c-stock) I don't see how any of the circumstances of ownership could possibly be in violation of the statute. The 'non-prohibited' shotgun would be viewed the same as a M4 H2O with the adjustable stock and hi-cap mag - perfectly legal to have possession of.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I "think" I understand it now, I "think".

922r only comes into play if you add an extended magazine tube, then you must exchange enough other Benelli factory parts, with U.S. made parts, to get it back into compliance with 922r specs.

Or just buy a M4 H2o and not worry about anything, except your intelligence, for spending so much for a shotgun. ;)

Once again, you don't have to change ANY parts if you are buying a surplus LE gun. It can have an extended mag and c-stock with all the original parts. It is already 922r compliant since it was surplused from a LE agency. State laws may apply though. Check your local laws.

Once again, you don't have to change ANY parts if you are buying a surplus LE gun. It can have an extended mag and c-stock with all the original parts. It is already 922r compliant since it was surplused from a LE agency. State laws may apply though. Check your local laws.

+1...I agree, The law applies to assembly, It's already been assembled...

Finally got my M4 after saving up for quite awhile with family emergencies in-between!! So my plan is to change out the mag tube for the full length, the stock for a standard straight stock, the forearm and the follower. would that make it compliant or do i need one more?

You would be compliant with this set up.

Finally got my M4 after saving up for quite awhile with family emergencies in-between!! So my plan is to change out the mag tube for the full length, the stock for a standard straight stock, the forearm and the follower. would that make it compliant or do i need one more?

The stock doesn't need to be changed if the other parts you mentioned are all US made.