Hand gun for girl question

ROCKETW19

I know this is not Benelli related but I respect alot of opinions here so I am asking here

I have HK usp 9mm and my wife has a bit of a time with the recoil she pushes down when pulling trigger. she also has very small hands. sure pratice can fix but she aint going to the rang that often and I want a gun she can shoot a lil better

I was thinking 380 but they are light and would have more recoil correct? not sure if my thinking is right on that?

do you guys have any recomendations on a 380? or any other cals?

as alway thanks for your help

oh to keep it Benelli related i went yesterday to range with my Eo tech on M4 and that is not even fair. I will dot your forhead with easy with that thing on. I was gonna swap it for a more better "looking" red dot but I just love the 65moa circle then 1moa dot i will not switch no matter how bad my OCD is.

Had 3 FTF but bolt was dry as can be and using bird shot. also had 1 FTF with rem low recoil buck. zero problems with slugs.

cleaning and gonna oil it up good tonight for next weekend

Edited by ROCKETW19

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides generally being lighter, most .380's are blowback operated (i.e. Sig P230, Walther PPK, etc) this type of operation creates more felt recoil than recoil operated pistols of similar size & weight (i.e. Kahr PM9, Glock 26, etc). The Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT and Sig P238 are recoil operated .380's...and there are others. These may be good options - although they are all very small and light and recoil (relative to other .380's & 9mm's) is still substantial. Obviously spending time @ the range and improving form and confidence is the *best* answer, but if that's not likely to happen, maybe moving down in caliber to .32 ACP is a better option. AVOID .25ACP...you are better off with a .22LR, close to the same energy with much less cost and generally better reliability. HTH.

Edited by paladinjme

Besides generally being lighter, most .380's are blowback operated (i.e. Sig P230, Walther PPK, etc) this type of operation creates more felt recoil than recoil operated pistols of similar size & weight (i.e. Kahr PM9, Glock 26, etc). The Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT and Sig P238 are recoil operated .380's...and there are others. These my be good options - although they are all very small and light and recoil (relative to other .380's & 9mm's) is still substantial. Obviously spending time @ the range and improving form and confidence is the *best* answer, but if that's not likely to happen, maybe moving down in caliber to .32 ACP is a better option. AVOID .25ACP...you are better off with a .22LR, close to the same energy with much less cost and generally better reliability. HTH.

.32acp humm that a good option as recoil and actuall stopping someone? never shot or even seen 32 before

any brands you can recomed for me to look at? price dont mater

In this context, this video (at the noted times) is worth a watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzyGdULmn98

4:13 - Women and semi-autos

5:45 - 45ACP 'stopping power vs. knock-down power'

It is by James Yeager, if you aren't familiar with him, he is very knowledgeable but also very opinionated and polarizing for that reason, but his videos are generally worth watching.

Admittedly, .32ACP is not the best choice for 'stopping power', but the issue you were asking about was recoil. I agree with the revolver suggestion as far as manual of arms is concerned, but that also doesn't necessarily address the recoil issue. The Lady Smith is available in 22WMR, that may be a good choice for someone that is recoil sensitive, but like the .32ACP is lacking in 'stopping power'. The Lady Smith, Ruger LCR and other alloy or polymer frame revolvers in .38spl can be a handful for small hands as well. That said, recoil vs. 'stopping power' is *generally* directly relative. You could try some subsonic 9mm loads and/or make sure the 9mm loads that you are using are 115gr bullets or less. But, in the end, time on the range to improve form / confidence is the best, and only real way to solve the problem.

Edited by paladinjme

Admittedly, .32ACP is not the best choice for 'stopping power', but the issue you were asking about was recoil. I agree with the revolver suggestion as far as manual of arms is concerned, but that also doesn't necessarily address the recoil issue. The Lady Smith, Ruger LCR and other alloy or polymer frame revolvers in .38spl can be a handful for small hands as well. That said, recoil vs. 'stopping power' is *generally* directly relative. You could try some subsonic 9mm loads and/or make sure the 9mm loads that you are using are 115gr bullets or less. But, in the end, time on the range to improve form / confidence is the best, and only real way to solve the problem.

I did some gooling about 32 vs 380. seems that most say they even and the 32 has noticable less recoil.

any brand to look for in 32? I am a HK guy but never seen them in 32. I have seen lil guns at range with built in laser ect I might have to go see what brands they were and ask if any good.

I understand the best is range pratice but that just aint gonna happen. she does go with me but no where near enough to get good. in Sacramento there was a guy breaking in houses and going in the "kids" rooms I will stop story there as i wanna kill just thinking about it. but that really got me thinking this "could" happen or something like it could happen. when I am not home. she cant use any of my guns other than the 9mm and she is not good at it. so I will arm her with what I think is best and get her to range as often as I can but never enough to get over the recoil she is to small to afraid of it. 32 is looking like something for her and i will do more research but if anyone has brand i should check out please let me know.

Sig, Beretta and Keltec all make 32ACP's that are generally regarded well. There is a substantial difference in .380 and .32 in regard to energy (and therefore recoil), as the .380 generally has a 90gr bullet and the .32 has a 65gr and they have similar velocities. Also, .380 ammo is generally easier to find than .32, something else to consider.

Edited by paladinjme

Sig, Beretta and Keltec all make 32ACP's that are generally regarded well. There is a substantial difference in .380 and .32 in regard to energy (and therefore recoil), as the .380 generally has a 90gr bullet and the .32 has a 65gr and they have similar velocities. Also, .380 ammo is generally easier to find than .32, something else to consider.

I will check sig and beretta but quick google again brought me to this

kelttec p32 and crimson trace laser

http://www.impactguns.com/crimson-trace-lasergrip-for-keltec-p3at-and-p32-lg430-610242000036.aspx

gun is 300 and laser is 200,lol, 500 seems like alot for what it is but whats $500 if she needs it

going to check Beretta now

Since money is not an issue, why not just trying to do it the way I did. My wife is only about 5 feet tall and just over 100lbs. (I'm 6'1, 240 - lol) I started her off shooting a .22LR until she started getting into it and relaxed. I won't get into my targets for her since it's a little unorthodox and probably not for everyone but once she really got into the groove with it, I moved her up to the 9mm and she is now a damn fine shot and likes going to the range. Her "cringe" step is also gone like she used to get whenever it was her turn to shoot which was a big thing with me.

I find that with women, you cannot just find that ONE perfect thing for her right off the bat that will still be effective in a bad situation and need to start small and then work up in a progression as she is ready. Also, the more rounds the handgun holds the better so she will stay up there shooting longer. With smaller mags, it's too easy for them to step off before she has really taken the matter in hand.

It's just how I do things and my wife is a darn good shot now.

Are you a Sacramento guy Rocket? That was my old stomping ground for about 20 years

Later

Hookster :)

yup been in Roseville for 6-7 yrs came from San Jose

family all live in NV. so I dont suffer from the cali gun laws I just go there where I have but dont have full auto,lol

my mom has full auto M11A1,lol

Since money is not an issue, why not just trying to do it the way I did. My wife is only about 5 feet tall and just over 100lbs. (I'm 6'1, 240 - lol) I started her off shooting a .22LR until she started getting into it and relaxed. I won't get into my targets for her since it's a little unorthodox and probably not for everyone but once she really got into the groove with it, I moved her up to the 9mm and she is now a damn fine shot and likes going to the range. Her "cringe" step is also gone like she used to get whenever it was her turn to shoot which was a big thing with me.

I find that with women, you cannot just find that ONE perfect thing for her right off the bat that will still be effective in a bad situation and need to start small and then work up in a progression as she is ready. Also, the more rounds the handgun holds the better so she will stay up there shooting longer. With smaller mags, it's too easy for them to step off before she has really taken the matter in hand.

It's just how I do things and my wife is a darn good shot now.

makes great sence but range time is not gonna happen to progress like that. for me ya I go all the time but her no way. I need to try and fix best I can with what I have to work with.

great advise though

yup been in Roseville for 6-7 yrs came from San Jose

family all live in NV. so I dont suffer from the cali gun laws I just go there where I have but dont have full auto,lol

my mom has full auto M11A1,lol

Very cool Rocket!!... I never did live in Roseville city limits but lived all around there over the years in Citrus Heights, Auburn, Carmichael, East Sac and South Natomas. Roseville sure has grown over the years... When I was going to High School in the late 70s there wasn't a whole lot there except Denio's Flea Market and a few cowboys..

Later,

Hookster :)

BTW.....Your Mom sounds awesome!!!!!

Edited by Hookster

HK P7M8

Browning Hi-power

Both of the above usually fit women's hands very well; but the P7 is the better choice.

didnt know the P7 was 32cal? I never liked that cocker thing on the grip.

I used to have a .25cal beretta and i see that they also have 32 in same design. I liked it cuz no matter what you were gonna get off one shot as the top tube lifts up and loads a round/ saves you from having to pull the slide also witch my wife has a problem with also

The HK USP has one of the biggest grips - so for one it probably doesnt fit her. The USP 9mm recoil is not the problem. the problem is her anticipating the recoild and flexing down to counteract it. A light 380 can have as much recoil or muzzle flip as a 9. plus many of them are very hard for women to rack the slide.

1. she needs agun that fits her hand. my wife is 5-0 and shoots a HK P30 with the small grips better than her old Beretta 380.

2. she needs to get over the anticipation, just relax, maybe take some lessons.

didnt know the P7 was 32cal? I never liked that cocker thing on the grip.

I used to have a .25cal beretta and i see that they also have 32 in same design. I liked it cuz no matter what you were gonna get off one shot as the top tube lifts up and loads a round/ saves you from having to pull the slide also witch my wife has a problem with also

If she can't cycle the slide well on the USP she'll have an even harder time with the P7; but good technique can over come that. If she shoots a P7, she'll probably want it.

yes all great advise but as Paladinjme said i cant get her that much range time. she likes to go "sorta" but life dont allow for it and she would pick other stuff as more important. I agree to a point with here choices but if something bad happens then I disagree,lol

There are plenty of ranges that rent guns just never the stuff i would pick for her. i will have to hunt around a bit more.

really leaning towards a 32 as i read recoil is alot less than 380. I figure a 32 will keep most people away and the ones it dont she dead no matter what gun she has anyways. peace of mind for her is also a plus lol for me also.

weird ass people out there is all I can say. all this drama just cuz I watched the news 1 time in 10 years now i am all freaked out. Great media control I tell ya. No more news for me

Have your wife try shooting the PPQ, or at least holding one. It has a very small grip and the trigger is FANTASTIC. In 9mm, it should be more than manageable, recoil wise. My wife tried the PPQ along with the FN FNS, S&W M&P, and SA XDm, and she found the PPQ and the M&P to have the grip size that fit her small hands.

P2000 lem is another good choice to try

If she is not going to get range time have her aim for head shots or left ear and she may get chest hits

LOL she is backwards she aim center mass and will put a very nice groupe in the left hand,lol with a stray evey now and then in center mass. I tell her she is good to go if her attacker has weapon in left hand and at his side.

my guess 25 feet away what I like here to shoot at

Ok made up my mind. going with Wilson combat compact CQB.

killing two birds with one stone. I always wanted a "cool" 1911 and she shoots them alot better than my plastic guns so its a win win.

now if Benelli ever made a M4 in 20 gauge that might be the way to go for her