Hand gun for girl question

ROCKETW19

The closure on the laser deal is taking her to range......let her shoot 10 shots at 3-7 yards with the same gun, with / without the laser ........sold !

thanks for all your time in this thread!

gun is being shipped now so for us cali people I will not get to range for 12-15 more days. we have 10 day wait on guns

but I am going with my kid tomorrow she wants to step up to the M4 tomorrow she is gonna be in for a shock going from 45. cal HK UMP clone to a 12g M4, lol she not scared though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have HK usp 9mm and my wife has a bit of a time with the recoil she pushes down when pulling trigger. she also has very small hands. sure pratice can fix but she aint going to the rang that often and I want a gun she can shoot a lil better

I was thinking 380 but they are light and would have more recoil correct? not sure if my thinking is right on that?

do you guys have any recomendations on a 380? or any other cals?

as alway thanks for your help

So, my question is: is this for defense, or just for plinking?

(sorry if this is a repeat; there are 6 pages of replies that I didn't want to read... I made it through 1.5 haha)

If it is for defense, then I think the pistol she'd be carrying would be smaller, right? In that case, recoil is going to be an issue with most carry guns. IMO, 380 is very manageable in a compact frame. I used to own a Sig P238, and it was very easy to shoot. I've also fired a Ruger LCP, and it too was manageable, though I think the 238 kicked a little less.

For plinking, you could try a similarly sized 9 with a lower bore axis... say a Glock or S&W M&P? It may make her "felt" recoil a little bit less.

So, my question is: is this for defense, or just for plinking?

(sorry if this is a repeat; there are 6 pages of replies that I didn't want to read... I made it through 1.5 haha)

If it is for defense, then I think the pistol she'd be carrying would be smaller, right? In that case, recoil is going to be an issue with most carry guns. IMO, 380 is very manageable in a compact frame. I used to own a Sig P238, and it was very easy to shoot. I've also fired a Ruger LCP, and it too was manageable, though I think the 238 kicked a little less.

For plinking, you could try a similarly sized 9 with a lower bore axis... say a Glock or S&W M&P? It may make her "felt" recoil a little bit less.

Night stand gun! and I have been told by hundreds that the lil 380s will flip more than a big 45.

her problem with the HK 9 was barrel flip she hated that. The push of the 45 was much better for her even at a bigger cal.

already paid for the Wilson Combat CQB compact so that is what we are going with. I have a lead on some good training coarses for her maybe that will help alot also. I will admit I am no pro or even a good shooter maybe I been telling her something wrong or not telling her enough?

The 5.7 is a nice shooter........but the grip is a little large, as BilleeDee mentioned, and it has switches.

A quick comparison to the 1911.

Recoil mechanism……5.7 is a “delayed” blowback with fixed barrel……….. .45 is either a Browning drop link mechanism (std. Colt style) or a drop barrel breech mechanism (M&P styled)

Trigger mechanism……5.7 single action only versus either single action (Colt styled) or DAO (M&P styled)

Hammer………both have one, the 5.7 is concealed within the slide cover, ….classic Colt styled .45 has external hammer whereas M&P styled is hammerless

Std magazine capacity……5.7 is 20 rounds, .45 is 8 rounds single stack

Cartridge……..5.7 ~ 31 grains……..45 cal 165 to 230 grains (7.4 times the mass of the 5.7)

Cartridge diameter……5.7 is ½ size of the .45 (Kinetic Energy =1/2 * mass * velocity2)

[ Ke of 5.7 = 8.2 x 106 versus Ke of .45 = 12.7 x 106 ]

Velocity……..5.7 is supersonic ~ 2300 fps versus subsonic .45 ~ 950 to 1050 fps

(the mass of the .45 overcomes the 2:1 velocity differential to deliver more energy at the muzzle at least!)

Recoil…..5.7 virtually none; .45 legendary

Accuracy…..5.7 very good within an 1” of custom 45 platform at 25 yards

37529e8e.png

003.jpg

The recoil is certainly mild on the Five Seven. The grip is pretty big for female shooters. My wife has issues getting a good firin grip on it. The pistol is huge for a woman. It's the size of a full sized duty pistol.

I usually carry it on my outdoor hiking or cross country running routine.

We're looking at the S&W M&P Shield for her. The single stack 9mm should be a lot more comfortable than the double stack magazine pistols.

Edited by StrangerDanger

Yeah I see they have something for my HK USP 45 w/x300 combo too but they specify the GG&G adapter... I have the Surefire adapter at the moment...It's funny the Safariland holster offering for my combo also list it for the GG&G adapter also...

Recently picked up a Blackhawk SERPA CQC for my Glock 21sf...pretty happy with it so far

Later,

Hookster :)

The extensions work fine. The Five Seven magazine's have kind of a crappy baseplate design. I never had one fail, but the plate doesn't seat in the most secure way. I carry the 30 round mags on my belt as spares and keep 21 in the pistol.

Its a PITA to load 5.7 rounds also. They're expensive to purchase too unfortunately.

I just put Glockworx fulcrum duty triggers in my Glock 19 and 36. Quite an improvement. My wife shoots the 19 often, so the easier trigger keeps her from getting tired over longer shooting sessions. I dislike adjustable triggers, so the duty model was the only option I considered.

The extensions work fine. The Five Seven magazine's have kind of a crappy baseplate design. I never had one fail, but the plate doesn't seat in the most secure way. I carry the 30 round mags on my belt as spares and keep 21 in the pistol.

Its a PITA to load 5.7 rounds also. They're expensive to purchase too unfortunately.

I just put Glockworx fulcrum duty triggers in my Glock 19 and 36. Quite an improvement. My wife shoots the 19 often, so the easier trigger keeps her from getting tired over longer shooting sessions. I dislike adjustable triggers, so the duty model was the only option I considered.

I am not a glock person but I just seen a add for the glockworx place and holly smokes they have some insane glocks.

I will not lie i shoot paper and paper only and most my guns I buy for looks or fun factor (desert eagle) and when I seen the fully decked out glock 45 cal I have to get one I dont care if the gun shoots 100 times better than me I still like it and Im gonna get one.

oh man stranger or benelliworks, how is that 5.7 compared to a glock all deck out by glockworx?

after this thread I have been looking at 5.7 and wow what a cool round specially for a hand gun and then you can carry 21 like nothing,lol too cool.

wife already bought the Wilson Combat this 5.7 will be for me. even though I read the recoil is great in the FN but grip to big for a small hand female.

how do you see the ammo hard to find outta stock alot or just cost alot but around? If I use it for night stand gun will I be able to find frag rounds that wont go threw every wall I have and kill my kids? GUN has reall got me I think I need it

thanks guys I am broke now gonna be more broke,lol

You must have money burning a hole in your pocket if you buy a 5.7 for a nightstand gun. However, the gun you shoot is the one you should buy, so if that's the one for you then you should buy it immediately.

In my (admittedly limited) armchair/classroom research I couldn't find / haven't heard a viable argument for frangible rounds for home defense. They disintegrate on steel plate or glass but they will penetrate drywall and insulation. Also, they sacrifice some penetration for the frangibility. In other words the 'advantages' of a frang round aren't relevant to you, and you still suffer from the disadvantages associated with any missed shot.

I know the marshals use them on aircraft but that's mission-specific. Also, those guys train a LOT. And they get a really good deal on their ammo. : )

One man's opinion.

oh man stranger or benelliworks, how is that 5.7 compared to a glock all deck out by glockworx?

after this thread I have been looking at 5.7 and wow what a cool round specially for a hand gun and then you can carry 21 like nothing,lol too cool.

wife already bought the Wilson Combat this 5.7 will be for me. even though I read the recoil is great in the FN but grip to big for a small hand female.

how do you see the ammo hard to find outta stock alot or just cost alot but around? If I use it for night stand gun will I be able to find frag rounds that wont go threw every wall I have and kill my kids? GUN has reall got me I think I need it

thanks guys I am broke now gonna be more broke,lol

I have had no problem finding the ss197sr FMJ 5.7 ammo. I also picked up some ss195lf from impact guns at a great price. If you want to get even better ammo imo for the 5.7 check out the following link and the t6 rounds. A lot of discussion around types of ammo and if you notice the t6 is a little faster than the 5.7 ammo quoted earlier in this thread. The 5.7 is an awesome shooting pistol for sure, I love mine and the capacity is always a plus.

http://www.eliteammunition.net/home.html

Edited by BilleeDee