Disassembly/removal of pistons on the M4.........

Zeke

Alright, whats the trick of removing the pistons?? Youtube video suggests to use the charging handle (as a tool) to remove the piston shrouds. But I cant get mine to budge. I even tried a long screw driver but I am afraid of damaging them. Have any of you guys tried this? Its looks like it needs to be smacked with a hammer. Please help !!

Edited by Zeke

When I tried to unscrew the ARGO caps on mine they were also very very tight on there. What I did was put a towel on the other side of the barrel. I did this to prevent any damage once I broke the cap free. I literally used all my strength to unscrew it. It was a real pain in the a$$! Just keep trying...

Thanks.... I want to find a long screwdriver that is just the right diameter and then some how hold the barrel firmly while reaming on the cap. Im just afraid of damaging the cap. May try some wd40 and let set before I try.

Edited by Zeke

No oil on them. Where metal rubs against metal, you need some lubrication. I'm using TW25 which withstands high temperatures. I'm not worried about "smoke and carbon."

And since I clean mine after each session with it....well, you get the picture.

It's interesting to me how many military guys have told me they really never have shot their's much, beyond training.

It is the ARGO Caps that is what Im having a hard time removing. These just seemed to be torqued on extremely hard. I havent tried to remove them yet, I was looking for the correct size screwdriver to use, and will probably have to lock it into a vise somehow before reaming. I thought about using wd40 on them, letting them soak, before trying. I would wipe dry after removing. I havent tried this yet and I was waiting to see your replies before attempting this. Thanks for all of your response's

I noticed you did not cleaninside the tubes where the pistons fit ? should that area be looked at ?

the manual says do not oil the pistons.

And you shouldn't unless you want a mess on your hands. The shotgun was designed for the pistons to run dry and to be "self cleaning". Not to say you shouldn't inspect and do routing maint. but lube in there is a bad idea. To each there own.......but just like religion, don't try and force it down anyones throat is what I always say. :cool: