Which gun to get?

Zardoz

I want to get a new home defense shotgun.

Which of the Benelli's is best the M-2 or the M-4?

Other than price what is the difference?

Also I might sell my M121-m1, any idea what it is worth?

Hey Zardoz!!!! Welcome to the forum!!.... Like Zardoz said in the movie "The gun is good"... The main difference between the two is the operating system, the M2 is inertia operated and the M4 is gas (the ARGO system)...both are excellent weapons but if you plan on hanging alot of extras on the weapon (tac lights, side saddles etc) you'd probably be better off with the M4, The M2's inertia system has more of a chance of issues as you add weight to it

Later,

Hookster :)

I want to get a new home defense shotgun.

Which of the Benelli's is best the M-2 or the M-4?

Other than price what is the difference?

Hookster has it right about the weight vs. function issue, however I've got about the same in aftermarket add-ons and a c-stock on my M4 than I would have in two finely tuned and tricked out M2s (not adding weight, just improving function and capacity). In hindsight I would be better off with a couple of such M2s however the M2 doesn't have a rail and now I have a NV capable T-1 micro sight with a QD A.R.M.S. mount. A p p l es and oranges, YMMV. (lol, forum software censors the word a p p l e)

Also I might sell my M121-m1, any idea what it is worth?

Of course it strictly depends upon condition - I've seen a couple of 121 M1 shotguns in fair condition sell for under $500 in the recent past. However I sold my freshly re-parked 121 M1 about 1.5 years ago for $750 with a (fitted) plastic S90 M1 foreend and a plastic Choate field stock. I've seen super clean ones sell for more, but you gotta find someone who just can't live without a 121 M1 when one can find good used S90 M1s for $800 - $900 here and there. I only sold my 121 M1 because replacement parts are non-existent (unless you find a donor 121/SL80). I had my 121 M1 for 25 years, it was one of the first imports and was originally owned by Col. Beckwith (he got shortly after the failed Iran hostage raid). I hated to let it go because of its history, however I won't have a gun which I cannot get parts for.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

I grew up shooting a M121. It was my intro to Benellis. Shot it until the barrel hanger broke off. Probably put 30,000 rounds through it.

Which gun do you really want? If you want an M4, get that. The M2 has some benefits -- such as being lighter weight. The M4 is a money pit. After you lay out your 1600 bucks, you'll find about 500 - 1500 more dollars worth of accessories that you want.

I grew up shooting a M121. It was my intro to Benellis. Shot it until the barrel hanger broke off. Probably put 30,000 rounds through it.

Which gun do you really want? If you want an M4, get that. The M2 has some benefits -- such as being lighter weight. The M4 is a money pit. After you lay out your 1600 bucks, you'll find about 500 - 1500 more dollars worth of accessories that you want.

I am not into the accessorizing thing. If the gun can't do the job as built from the factory I do not need it.

I do like the M4 especially the Marine Corps aspect but the $300-$400 difference over the M2 would buy a lot of ammo.

To get the M4 to the level of the M4 issued to the US Marines, you'll have to do some accessorizing. Such as if you want the collapsible stock and a full length magazine tube. Then you need the supporting 922 compliant parts to make it legal. Needless to say, it's a money pit.

Saying that, what will the M2 do that your M121 won't?

Hookster has it right about the weight vs. function issue, however I've got about the same in aftermarket add-ons and a c-stock on my M4 than I would have in two finely tuned and tricked out M2s (not adding weight, just improving function and capacity). In hindsight I would be better off with a couple of such M2s however the M2 doesn't have a rail and now I have a NV capable T-1 micro sight with a QD A.R.M.S. mount. A p p l es and oranges, YMMV. (lol, forum software censors the word a p p l e)

Of course it strictly depends upon condition - I've seen a couple of 121 M1 shotguns in fair condition sell for under $500 in the recent past. However I sold my freshly re-parked 121 M1 about 1.5 years ago for $750 with a (fitted) plastic S90 M1 foreend and a plastic Choate field stock. I've seen super clean ones sell for more, but you gotta find someone who just can't live without a 121 M1 when one can find good used S90 M1s for $800 - $900 here and there. I only sold my 121 M1 because replacement parts are non-existent (unless you find a donor 121/SL80). I had my 121 M1 for 25 years, it was one of the first imports and was originally owned by Col. Beckwith (he got shortly after the failed Iran hostage raid). I hated to let it go because of its history, however I won't have a gun which I cannot get parts for.

The 121 M1 is in excellent condition, probably 90%+. But it seems when I sell a gun about a year later I end up saying,"wish I hadn't done that".

As I do not add accessories on a gun and it is a home defense at ranges of 30 to 40 feet I will probably get the M2. I also appreciate the less maintenance to an inertia system over the gas system.

Vigorously training is somewhat impossable around my end of the world. I have to drive 1.5 hours to find a place to shoot. Other than membership ranges which do not allow rapid second or more shots so I need to use the national forests which are many miles away through urban wast lands.

[

Saying that, what will the M2 do that your M121 won't?

The M121 works great but I have never liked the part of not being able to load the first round from the magazine.

I do not like keeping the shotgun laying around the house with a round in the chamber.

It is much safer that when the time of need arises you can just jack around in and go.

The M121 works great but I have never liked the part of not being able to load the first round from the magazine.

I do not like keeping the shotgun laying around the house with a round in the chamber.

It is much safer that when the time of need arises you can just jack around in and go.

There were at least a couple of aftermarket add-on button extensions available for the bolt release for the 121 M1 up thru the early '90s (I seriously doubt you would find one NOS now unless you got really lucky and I'm certain no one currently produces any of these add on button extensions specifically for the 121 M1). With the *original* (aftermarket) 'Benelli button' one could simply flick this button extension forward toward the muzzle and it would release one round onto the carrier. You could then cycle the action to load one into the chamber. (I've been in a real life sh!t blizzard before with a shotgun, so I'm always critical of how quickly/reliably a device works when under stressfire) It was VERY quick and easy, worked EVERY time with only moderate pressure. The beauty of this feature on a 121 M1 is that only those familiar with the 121 M1 system could get it to fire the first round. In lieu of this button extension one can simply slip on one of those 5 round buttstock ammo holders made by Kolpin - it's really not that time consuming to grab a round out of the shell holder on the buttstock and drop it into the ejection port with one's weak hand.

If you're wanting to keep that 121 M1 you might want to consider finding a gunsmith who's willing to add a button extension to it. Unobtainium recently posted how he adapted a button for another application entirely to his M4 rather than using one of the commercially available items. Looked like it would work reasonably well for a 121 M1 too.

If the only reason you want a Benelli semi-auto is for home defense, have you considered a good old fashioned pump shotgun, Remington or Mossberg?

A lot less money and will definitely do the job for you.

Just a thought.

Remington 870P gets my vote, if HD is the only reason.

I bought an M1014 because I enjoy shooting it AND it will do fine for HD, and is probably the firearm I could most easily afford to replace until I get another Glock.

If the only reason you want a Benelli semi-auto is for home defense, have you considered a good old fashioned pump shotgun, Remington or Mossberg?

A lot less money and will definitely do the job for you.

Just a thought.

I have tactacle pumps but they require more practice than I can put in now adays for reliable second shots. A semi-auto is much more user friendly.

Just pick it up shoulder it, aim and fire till the screeming stops.

Back when I could get weekly practice I used the 870 like a master but today I have lost the coordination.

I have tactacle pumps but they require more practice than I can put in now adays for reliable second shots. A semi-auto is much more user friendly.

Just pick it up shoulder it, aim and fire till the screeming stops.

Back when I could get weekly practice I used the 870 like a master but today I have lost the coordination.

Please tell me you're joking....

And what's up with this rapid fire until the mag is empty nonsense?? That shows a disturbing lack of fire control discipline. At best one would double tap the target, then assess the situation, ready to fire again if/when necessary.

Anyone ever heard of fire and maneuver aka shoot and scoot? If you're unfamiliar with the concept I urge you to wrap your head around it - there's no substitute for it.

Edited by Sukhoi_fan

And one other thing about the 121 M1 should you decide to keep it - I recommend that you keep the recoil link pin (located at the rear of the bolt carrier) well lubed at all times. I had one break on the 121 M1 I got from Charlie - he'd shot a lot of slugs thru it and so did I, it took a real beating and we both neglected to lube that pin.

Also, Uno posted some info recently in another thread regarding that button he attached to his M1014.

Anyone ever heard of fire and maneuver aka shoot and scoot? If you're unfamiliar with the concept I urge you to wrap your head around it - there's no substitute for it.

+1 AMEN. The security guard in the following video certainly was trained in fire and maneuver. He recognizes the threat and quickly draws his weapon and is firing. He moved backwards, sideways, and forwards, all while firing & taking one down.

Finally he moves forward to a cover/concealment position.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2012/08/31/pkg-security-guard-shoots-thieves-internet-cafe.wesh#/video/bestoftv/2012/08/31/pkg-security-guard-shoots-thieves-internet-cafe.wesh

Edited by crofton

And one other thing about the 121 M1 should you decide to keep it - I recommend that you keep the recoil link pin (located at the rear of the bolt carrier) well lubed at all times. I had one break on the 121 M1 I got from Charlie - he'd shot a lot of slugs thru it and so did I, it took a real beating and we both neglected to lube that pin.

Also, Uno posted some info recently in another thread regarding that button he attached to his M1014.

I'll sure do that.

As the bozo comes through the door I yell "hang on I gotta lube my pin!"