Benelli M4 -- Trigger, Disconnector and Hammer Disassembly

StrangerDanger

It's hard to tell, but where your hammer has peened, has the finish flaked off on the side any, or not? How do the contacts on the trigger/hammer engagement points look?

It's tempting to use the OEM hammer and the FFT dis-connector and trigger.

Also, FYI. where the hammer would contact the disconnector on my OEM hammer during the back-stroke is indeed shiny as if it kisses said part every cycle.

Edited by Unobtanium

I looked into this more. I dug out my old OEM fire control group (FCG) and disassembled both trigger packs. I compared all four hammers closely. The OEM hammer shows the same deformation as the FFT hammer. Of all the hammers, the Geisselle shows the least amount of deformation.

The only issue encountered with the Geisselle hammer is its odd behavior when trying to cock the hammer with the weapon on safe. For some reason, Geisselle changed the hammer profile so that it contacts the trigger more on the downward stroke. The Geisselle offers the largest surface area for engagement of the sear as well. I'd say that the Geisselle hammer is the best of the three.

The hammer always makes contact with the disconnector and polishes the finish off. That is present in all samples I have. The hammer compresses the disconnector during each stroke. Basically they're metal on metal rubbing during each cycle until the hammer slips past the disconnector's sear.

Take a look at the following pictures to decide for yourself. Also, if you open the image into a new window, they'll be much bigger.

DSC00153_zps666e4df4.jpg~original

DSC00144_zps6867be88.jpg~original

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Now, take your snap ring pliers and remove the Trigger Guard Pin Spring from the Trigger Group.

007.jpg

008.jpg

OK, so I'm trying to install the Trigger Pin Guard Spring (TPGS) and it doesn't seem to be engaging the slots in the Trigger Pin Bushing (TPB). After I install the Trigger Pin Guard Spring, if I tap lightly on the Trigger Pin Bushing, the bushing will tap right out. It doesn't seem like the spring is engaging in the slots. Did I somehow damage the TPB? It is a brand new TPGS. Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks StrangerDanger for your pics and post, they have been a great help!

Sounds like you haven't gotten the snap ring to actually engage into those cuts along the side of the trigger bushing pin. If you think of the snap ring as a horse shoe shape, with the open end being the top, or 12 o'clock. The notches of the TPGS should be at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position.

Here is another unrelated tip for installing the carrier dog or bolt latch's pin and spring. You can remove the pin and spring when the unit is assembled by compressing the spring and pin. It will then disengage from the bolt latch and pull it away from the assembly.

This will help reduce the number of parts you will be trying to wrangle while reassembling the trigger group.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching the tear down of the m2 pack has shown me how many refinements were made in the m4. Example, the m4 did away with that washer that retains the breech latch. I prefer the snap ring over the wire pin on the trigger bushing. I've heard many M2 owners upgrade the pack to the snap ring from the m4.

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed installation of the following on my M4:

FFT Trigger

FFT Disconnector

Geissele Hammer

Taran Tactical Oversize Safety

Taran Tactical Extended Carrier.

Using SD's posts and the recent video on the M2 trigger group, this was quite straight forward even with my very limited experience with this kind of modification. Most challenging steps were removal/installation of the snap ring (due to crappy snap ring pliers) and installation of the disconnector retaining pin. Probably took an hour overall. Would be much faster the second time.

Next to install is:

Carrier Comp Magazine

Carrier Comp Follower & Spring

FFT Handguards

MeproLight Night Sights

Benelli Collapsible Stock

GG&G Oversize Bolt Release

By my accounting, all these mods should yield six 922® compliant parts.

Edited by NHnewbie

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...