Ammo testing....

Jackalope

As the title states, I want to do some ammo testing for 12ga HD loads. I know when everyone thinks HD they think 00 buck, but if you live in an apartment or somewhere with thin walls, thats a no-go.

I want you guys to chime in and let me know what YOU want to see tested, and i'll try and get some and make a video or pictorial of the different loads and their penetration/spread at HD distances. I've also come into possession of a few (7) clothing mannequins that i'll probably destroy just for fun.

Sooo, let me know what you guys want to see tested. I've got some drywall and some ballistic gelatin and nothing but time.

Switch to #1 buck!

Dr. Fackler who was head of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory for the US Army’s Medical Training Center and considered one of the leaders in terminal ballistic has published papers about 12" penetration.

Great article on ammo for shotgun.

Cut & pasted from the article: Bird shot is not an acceptable self-defense shotshell round. To believe that it is could get you killed, and that has been the sad outcome in too many incidents.

# 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm

Edited by crofton

Those of you that want to contribute to the testing, shoot me a PM and i'll get my address to you. KB, that would be pretty sweet to see what you come up with.

So far i've got requests to test #4 Buck, #1 Buck, Creeper's Baby Magnums, and whatever KB comes up with. I'll close the thread for requests once I stop getting comments on it, or a few weeks from now, whatever comes first.

I would suggest getting large pieces of cardboard for target material as I've found that using large pieces of cardboard are the best way to check patterns of different loads as various distances. I get my large pieces of cardboard from Lowe's - I ask them to save the cardboard boxes (broken down) from the large appliances they sell.

I just happen to have a good stock of that. I could do some pattering from the M4 with it. What distances would you like?

Thanks KB!! That suff is pricey!! Haven't seen it less than $1 per rd. I've been meaning to pick some up for awhile but been spending the play money on other stuff....I'd love to see where the shot is in relation to the slug at a few distances inside of 50 yds

Later,

H:):)kster

This is PDX 12 from 20 yards with my Super Nova Tactical. I think this round would be devastating at that range (and closer) but those pellets concern me at longer distances. I'll see what I can do at a neighbors range with my M4.

Edited by KB Fab

This is PDX 12 from 20 yards with my Super Nova Tactical. I think this round would be devastating at that range but those pellets concern me at longer distances. I'll see what I can do at a neighbors range with my M4.

Yeah...Looking at that initially, it doesn't look like the pellets would be doing much for you at distances much farther than that but agreed that inside of that it would be devastating......OUCH!!!!

Hookster :)

I live in an apartment. I run buckshot. It penetrates brick VERY poorly. Also very poor on most any other "hard" surface. Either way, birdshot has no place in HD in my book, so I run buckshot.

Run some tests of 00 on brick and pine 2x4's and you will be surprised at how "poorly" it does.

Alrighty, looks like i'm gonna bring some brick and pine out too!

Switch to #1 buck!

Dr. Fackler who was head of the Wound Ballistics Laboratory for the US Army’s Medical Training Center and considered one of the leaders in terminal ballistic has published papers about 12" penetration.

Great article on ammo for shotgun.

Cut & pasted from the article: Bird shot is not an acceptable self-defense shotshell round. To believe that it is could get you killed, and that has been the sad outcome in too many incidents.

# 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm

Thank You!

Now if only we could get the World to read this!