porting a 45cal glock21

ROCKETW19

I know guys I am sorry for non Benelli question but honestly I get good anwsers here so i have to ask.

I have read both ways some say good some say does very very lil.

anyone shot a ported gun not a comp just a ported one. I post picture of exact gun I am getting built. I will take any therorys also just please tell me its not real just your thoughts

Work up a load with a (preferably light) bullet you like... using more of a slower burning powder. You want enough to effectively "operate" the ports, but no more. It's a bit of a balancing act to work up a load, but if your search-foo is good, you'll find all sorts of articles and load data on the interwebnet.

C

Porting a gun will reduce recoil and prevent muzzle rise which ultimatley leads to more accuracy with your firearm. It accomplishes this by releasing gasses emitted through the ports. I have a Glock 35 which has a slide cut out on top. This allows for a ported barrell to be used that does not extend past the slide. The thing you have to be careful of is using low power ammo with ported barrels because your gun will not be able to cycle properly. With a 45 caliber weapon that shouldn't be a problem though.

Are you able to see the following thread?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444247

ya i can see it but only 1 post.

I did some search on another fourm and came up with that it is not that good on a 45cal. from what I read it said, the bullet is slow enough that most gasses are gone when leaving the barrel and port wont help much in standard 45cal rounds. I will not be loading my own special hot ones so porting seems to not be for me and a 45. they did say it will make cool fire balls at the range though,lol

Porting a gun will reduce recoil and prevent muzzle rise which ultimatley leads to more accuracy with your firearm. It accomplishes this by releasing gasses emitted through the ports. I have a Glock 35 which has a slide cut out on top. This allows for a ported barrell to be used that does not extend past the slide. The thing you have to be careful of is using low power ammo with ported barrels because your gun will not be able to cycle properly. With a 45 caliber weapon that shouldn't be a problem though.

G35 is 40 cal correct? do you use standard rounds or make your own? I know zero about the 40cal but I read the 45 is not hot enough to let the ports do their job well. (factory ammo)

The 34 and 35 slides aren't cut for porting purposes, they are that way to reduce the weight. I suppose you could use a ported barrel, not really sure why one would, they shoot so well the way they are.

ya i can see it but only 1 post.

I did some search on another fourm and came up with that it is not that good on a 45cal. from what I read it said, the bullet is slow enough that most gasses are gone when leaving the barrel and port wont help much in standard 45cal rounds.

l

42 users have read the thread, but zero replies. Keep checking.

I believe porting isn't the way to go with .45's.

G35 is 40 cal correct? do you use standard rounds or make your own? I know zero about the 40cal but I read the 45 is not hot enough to let the ports do their job well. (factory ammo)

Yes the G35 is .40 caliber. I shoot factory 9mm rounds with my ported barrel (it is a conversion barrel) and it shoots great. Honestly, I don't know enough about shooting 45 caliber with a ported barrel because I don't own a 45. I do know that Glock makes a 21C which a factory ported barrel so conceptually it should not be a problem.

The 34 and 35 slides aren't cut for porting purposes, they are that way to reduce the weight. I suppose you could use a ported barrel, not really sure why one would, they shoot so well the way they are.

Yes you're correct. The cutout was meant to reduce the weight of the gun. But if you can reduce recoil without affecting cycling then I'm all for porting the barrel. Glock even produces them as factory guns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#9.C3.9719mm_Parabellum

"The Glock 17C was introduced in 1996 and incorporated slots cut in the barrel and slide to compensate for muzzle rise and recoil. Many other Glock pistols now come with this option, all with a "C" suffix on the slide."

http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/40/24c/index.htm

"As can be seen in the chart, the Glock 24Cs longer barrel provided increased muzzle velocities, ranging anywhere from 25 to 60 feet per second faster. Shooting the 24 and 22 side by side, I noted a big difference in muzzle flip with the Glock 24C. It was quite obvious that, the extra weight and vented barrel system do perform as claimed."

Edited by alexcapone