federal ammo

OrangeMarine

If you're referring to LE13200 with the flite control wad, it's an excellent load. It's the tightest patterning buckshot that I've ever used. Unfortunately, it doesn't reliably cycle through some of my M1's or my M4. Out of my 870's, nothing beats it in terms of being able to put its entire pattern on target at longer distances.

Edited by truckcop

Personally, I'm still working on that. Mine is only a few weeks old. I haven't yet given up on the Federal. It has been said that the M4 will cycle low recoil better after being fired more. I hoping for that. Others here may have other recommendations. Federal does have full-power 00 buck with the flite control wad that I plan to try in the next few days. I've heard the patterning isn't quite as good as the low-recoil but we'll see.

Edited by truckcop

Personally, I'm still working on that. Mine is only a few weeks old. I haven't yet given up on the Federal. It has been said that the M4 will cycle low recoil better after being fired more. I hoping for that. Others here may have other recommendations. Federal does have full-power 00 buck with the flite control wad that I plan to try in the next few days. I've heard the patterning isn't quite as good as the low-recoil but we'll see.

how far out do you shoot to pattern your buckshot? I took the target to 7rds and it stayed pretty good. that was low recoil federal buckshot. gun was also brand new and had no problems cycling it.

On my defensive shotguns I check buckshot patterns at 7, 15, and 25 yards. For most buckshot loads, we have found that 15 yards is about the limit for consistently getting all pellets within the target area. One of my M1's will get them all in @ 25 yards when using the low recoil flite control Federal LE13200. I start to get flyers beyond that. Interestingly enough it's a 14" entry gun and cycles that load with no problem.

Our recruit academy guns are 870's with 18" barrels and the qual course is fired at 15 yards. With the older pre-flite control LE13200 and other brands of buckshot, depending on the gun, there were usually some flyers for every shot. When we went to the flite control load that went away completely.

Edited by truckcop

I have heard great things about federal flite control. Hornady Critical Defence and Zombie Max, which are the same round do well up 25 yards in mine. I shot at a antifreeze jug 100 yards and while no direct hits I would not have been happy to be where the jug was. The pro to these hornady rounds is the 1600fps velocity, draw back is it is 8 double 0 slugs. I am happy with the round over all.

After firing a bucket full of loose ammo of varying pedigree/load/age, etc., my M4 will now consistently cycle my favorite low recoil OOB loads from Federal. The only thing I had that it will not cycle is Winchester Featherlite Low Noise/Low Recoil AA target loads, which I certainly didn't expect it to cycle. I just had a bunch of it in the bucket and whatever was in the bucket got shot.

I also got a chance to compare the Federal OOB Tactical and Vital-Shok loads. Both use the FliteControl wad. The Tactical is rated at 1100 plus or minus fps and the Vital-Shok is listed at 1345 fps. The pic below shows the results of two shots of each load at three different distances, 7, 15 and 25 yards. Other shots produced similar results.

The black dots on the target are the aim points prior to making any sight adjustments. The top two groupings are the Tactical load. The bottom two are the Vital-Shok load. Each has similar results at 7 yards. At 15 yards, the Vital-Shok is starting to open up and at 25 yards have really opened up with more fliers. As expected, the tactical load held a better group out to 25 yards.

Based on these results, I'm sticking with the Tactical load for my M4 and other shotguns. So far, I haven't found anything that beats it in my guns.

FederalOOBuck.jpg

Edited by truckcop

the Fed Tac at 25 yrds is nice I never shot mine at that distance other than slugs. i will next time to see if mine is that tight.

I also just bought a new one to try it is winchester load with lil slug and 4 pelets I believe not exactly sure not home. but it looked cool I will try it also at 25 yrds