M4 cycling issues

SteveOH

Hello,

Bought a brand new M4. Right out of the box, I swapped out the magazine tube for the titanium CarrierComp 7 rounder and spring. Also swapped the charging handle for a CarrierComp titanium one. Also added a breaching choake, a SureFire rail and replaced the factory rail with a shotshell carrier.

Took the gun to the range to test fire and fired 7 rounds rapidly with no issues. Went back to the range a couple months later with a friend and his gf. He fired a full mag with no issues. Then she shot. She was afraid to put it to her shoulder, so she fired it from her side. She fired 2 full mags. The gun jammed about every second or third round. I figured this was similar to "limp wristing" a pistol, so I didn't think much of it. Then my friend fired the gun again and it jammed after about three rounds. I took the gun and fired 4 shots before it jammed again.

We were using Winchester 3" shells with #8 shot.

Here are my questions:

1) Does "limp wristing" the gun cause it to misfeed like a pistol?

2) We fired a lot of shells in rapid succession. The gun was hot. Would that cause it to misfeed for the guys?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, but I'm new to shotgunning.

Here's a pic of the gun:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1673[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Steve, as HKp2000 was implying, it may not be broken in sufficiently yet. I wouldn't consider it fully broken in until you've shot at least 200-300 rounds of full power buckshot or slug rounds. (or work the bolt back and forth a few hundred times like he suggested)

How many rounds have you fired through it total so far?

Hello,

Here are my questions:

1) Does "limp wristing" the gun cause it to misfeed like a pistol?

A few weeks back my friend purchased a new M4 (his 1st shotgun) and off to the range we went. Following showing him the basics of the weapon, he started firing double-ough down range. He had FTE and the last round the bolt carrier wouldn't lock open. It was my turn and all worked great, again he had the same issues. I then noticed he was holding the weapon very loose and didn't have an aggressive stance. Had him adjust his hold|stance and from that time on, zero issues.

It was the 1st time he ever fired a shotgun and his biggest concern was recoil, maybe that and the hold|stance was your friends issues.

my $.02

Hey Steve, as HKp2000 was implying, it may not be broken in sufficiently yet. I wouldn't consider it fully broken in until you've shot at least 200-300 rounds of full power buckshot or slug rounds. (or work the bolt back and forth a few hundred times like he suggested)

How many rounds have you fired through it total so far?

Probably about 50 rounds. Guess I've got a good excuse to do some more shooting! Thanks for the replies guys.

Steve

1. No. It's a gas operated shotgun. You can attribute the issues to break in, not how you are holding it. If you're still getting FTEs after 300 rounds of slug or full power buck loads (#1 works too, and it's often cheaper than 00) then something is wrong.

2. No. With a total of 50 rounds through the gun you did not get it hot enough. It would be a pretty sorry excuse for a shotgun if you did.

Note that grip is just as important as stance. The shotgun should sit gently in the shoulder pocket and you should be pushing with your front hand and pulling with your back hand. This is explained in detail in other posts, and there are plenty of vids on the youtube.

I broke mine in with about 25 rounds of buck. then tried bird shot. it ammed a few times. cleaned it and shot 25 more buck and its never jammed once in 1200 rounds of mostly weak walmart federal birdshot.

did you clean it real nice after the first shoot ?

I've never had to break an M4 in. They shoot target loads right off the bat.

I clean it.

I lubricate it with TW25G like I would an M4gery.

I hold it tight.

Verify:

Pistons are not hitting the rubber on the M80 rail.

Correctly and thoroughly lubricated BCG.

Correctly seated barrel.

I have not had any problems with FTE or FTF in my M4 using 2 3/4'' #7 shot until last weekend I was shooting some old #8 with a few FTF. I then ran some Zombie Max 00 with no problems. I attribute this to the bolt not being well lubed. Miltec and away I go for a new box of cheaper bird shot just to warm up the miltec. Lube is your friend for sure along with all the other comments to take into consideration. But with a dry bolt things are harder moving.

Dont use the Winchester Shells they have been know for causing cycling problems with Semi-Auto shotguns!

I heard that some Winchester Boxes even say may not cycle properly in semi-autos.

I hope its a simple ammunition issue.

hmmmm..... I did not know this. The first 2 boxes I put through my M4 was Winchester, I didnt have a problem.