SBE II Barrel Unscrewed

isubarui

The end of the barrel is threaded? Any chance of a higher resolution photo of the barrel end and the barrel extension? If they are threaded you should be able to carefully line up the threads and tighten until the extension is aligned with the barrel. I would assume that this joint was not designed to be taken down, so not sure why this loosened. If this is a new gun you may want to take it to a gunsmith or contact Benelli as there may be a warranty issue here.

It looks like there may have been some threadlocker present. You can thread them back together, but I am not sure how much torque is required to get them realigned. Also how to hold them securely and not damage your dip camo surface. The threads look perfect. Does this gun have many rounds through it? I would not expect these two pieces to separate as they need to be correctly aligned to function correctly and to maintain correct headspace with the locking lugs. I would probably call Benelli Customer Service.

There was some sort of threadlock present. It also had a good amount of grease on the threads. I figured I would just need to tighten it back up but if you screw it all the way back together the pieces actually do not align when they are fully tightened. Fully tightening the two pieces together would actually cause the barrel to no longer be aligned properly. The two pieces need to be sealed together while there is still a little play in the threads. I called benelli and they said to send it in. I was hoping that I could avoid this since hunting season is about to start.

I would guess that the gun has somewhere around 1500 rounds through it. It broke free from shooting dove loads. Im sure that the two pieces became separated while I was still hunting but I was not able to notice anything different with the gun.

This is something you can do yourself. Simply clean all grease and oil from the threads (must be void of any oils), make sure they screw together easily and flush. Take them back apart and apply Loctite 271 to the threads. Screw it back together, loctite does not set up quickly and reassemble the barrel on to the receiver without the forend, snug up the mag cap and check barrel alignment by looking down the rib as if you were shooting it. If the rib is crooked then straighten it by turning the barrel slightly. Once aligned, tighten the mag cap securely (check alignment again) and let it sit for about an hour. Job done.