Most Accurate and Best Slugs?

Leo77

I looking for opinions on what are some of the most Accurate and best Slugs for Smooth Bore Barrel Shotguns for my FNH SLP, Benelli Supernova and Benelli M4?

I have bought some of the Federal LE Flight-Control Buckshot and was interested in opinions on the Federal Premium Barnes Expander Tipped Slugs, Federal TruBall Deep Penetrator Slugs or opinions for any other Slugs known for there Accuracy and performance in Smoth Bore Shotguns would be appreciated?

Thanks Much, God Bless

Edited by Leo77

• 2 weeks later...

I've been liking the Federal Tru-ball slugs quite a bit lately. Bench rest shooting at 75 yards put 9 in the face of a human sillhouette target just using the iron sights. I also don't take a lot of time between shots. I've never bothered timing myself as I'm less than concerned with bragging rights at this point in my life but when I go shooting, I shoot like I mean it, not like something is standing there waiting for me to kill it so it's one right after the other with no cigarettes or spotting scope gazing in between.

No noticable tumbling with these slugs either which I've had with a few others I've tried including some high dollar winchester, high velocity sabots that some guy handed me to try.

If I put a red dot on it, I'm sure I could have nailed the same groups or better all day at 100 yards which I'm guessing would be about the peak range for these from such a short smooth bore barrel but i could easily be wrong. I never did shoot for the 100 yard target that day although I might next time just to see how it does. I was pretty pleased with the groupings at 75 though and the tru-balls are my slugs for M4 now.

Edited by Sharkey

I've been liking the Federal Tru-ball slugs quite a bit lately. Bench rest shooting at 75 yards put 9 in the face of a human sillhouette target just using the iron sights. I also don't take a lot of time between shots. I've never bothered timing myself as I'm less than concerned with bragging rights at this point in my life but when I go shooting, I shoot like I mean it, not like something is standing there waiting for me to kill it so it's one right after the other with no cigarettes or spotting scope gazing in between.

No noticable tumbling with these slugs either which I've had with a few others I've tried including some high dollar winchester, high velocity sabots that some guy handed me to try.

If I put a red dot on it, I'm sure I could have nailed the same groups or better all day at 100 yards which I'm guessing would be about the peak range for these from such a short smooth bore barrel but i could easily be wrong. I never did shoot for the 100 yard target that day although I might next time just to see how it does. I was pretty pleased with the groupings at 75 though and the tru-balls are my slugs for M4 now.

at 75yrds was there any drop? right now i am just indoor and max is 25yrds I was always curious when the slug would start to drop. I cant see no 100yrds and barly see 50, it looks like a black fuzzy dot and I would have no clue where the slug landed,lol

I'm with you on the eyes thing. I'm 49 and can't tell you how frustrating it is when shooting my .308 with battle sights. Gonna have to break down and get a scope someday maybe.

Anyway, at 75 yards, I don't believe I was suffering from any drop at all really. I'm no scientist at this stuff and just aim for the kill zone and pull the trigger so no measurements were taken for ballistic values or whatever.

I DO believe that after 75, they will probably start dropping pretty quickly as, according to what I've read and charts I've seen about them, that is where it's supposed to start happening which is why, next time, I'm probably going to throw up a target at 100 and see how it goes. With the way they were hitting at 75 though, I would say killing something at 100 with them is WELL within the realm of possibilities with a little range practice.

Nice rounds for what I use the M4 for though and cheap which makes pulling the trigger considerably more enjoyable.

Edited by Sharkey

• 1 month later...